_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
NEWS
MiniArt Takes the Slow Road
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 06:51 AM UTC
MiniArt has announced a new diorama base and I have to say that this one really appeals to me as a display option for your finished models. Take a look inside for details of what I feel will be a popular release.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 04:36 PM UTC
That does look like an interesting base. Perfect for a fast base and also should be a great introduction for those that have never tried working with these thermoformed kits. Simple and very useable.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 06:36 PM UTC
Frank I could not agree more and I think that looking at this product from different aspects such as ease of build, general look, and versitility it is one of the best diorama bases MiniArt has released.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 11:35 PM UTC
You hit the nail on the head there Frank- this looks like a gem.
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 967 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 11:43 PM UTC
Same hear simplisity at its best Geraint
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 12:09 AM UTC
I realy like this one, and agree it certainly looks like an excellent article for someone new to the vacuform bases, even if this is the only one someone builds, just to take photos of their various models for photos.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 01:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

it is one of the best diorama bases MiniArt has released.

Even in its simplicity, it is perfect. Provides background and because it should go together relatively fast, it allows time to add extra details as ivy, telegraph pole, weeds, rubbish, posters, etc etc. Can be made individual.
So many are afriad to try these kits, and to be honest even the simpler little corner sets need quite a bit of work. I built the red-brick house corner a while back, and getting the corner joint perfect, requires quite a bit of work and planning. IMO, MiniArt NEEDS this kit to lure in prospective modellers to the world of thermoformed kits. They should kep the price as low as possible on this ... it could be the kit that introduces a lot of new modellers to their nowadays extensive line of buildings.
Something I did n´t think of yesterday, but as Dave mentions ... a perfect base just photo of your latest model. Wonder how models will sit on the preformed tracks ... smaller tracks shold work OK, but those with wider tracks could require a little extra work to set thim IN the mud.
I´ll definately be buying one of these!!
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 01:27 AM UTC
I really like this one myself but I have found in the past that many of there bases are barely big enough for a PzII Does anyone know the width of the dirt road, would something bigger than a PzIV fit on it
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 05:28 AM UTC
Working on previous releases it should be about 12 and 3/4 inches by 6 and 5/8th inches, as the unpainted base shown in the pictures is only half of the base. That should in theory be of a suitable size for most tanks and armoured vehicles within reason. Working on these sizes the outside edges of the tracks should be a little under 4 inches which is suitable for a Panther.
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 03:17 AM UTC
Looks like it could work for 1/48 too, except I will ebay the cart.
JohnLong
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 276 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 03:37 AM UTC
I think the wall and cart would be useful. I would definitely discard the groundwork itself. This type of groundwork is easy to replicate using Sculpta-Mold, or Celluclay, which is also more convincing, in my opinion. I think that Mini-Art would do better by itself by making more of their accessories available separate from their "Diorama Kits".
 _GOTOTOP