_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
DML Allied Heavy Weight
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 04:09 AM UTC
Dragon Models Limited has announced that a T28 is in the works for release soon.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 05:06 AM UTC
This is amazing news. I have wanted a kit of this vehicle ever since I saw a picture of it. Im so excited to hear that it is being released in plastic! the aluminum barrel is a HUGE plus, especially concidering Dragon has been leaving those out recently....
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 06:44 AM UTC
Wow! Simply... wow!

Hopefully DML isn't being a tease and will actually put plastic to pictures and kits in boxes.

I wonder if Meng's success with the A39 Tortoise had anything to do with this?

Keeping my fingers crossed...
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 04:49 AM UTC
Seeing as it would have taken months of research and tooling to produce this model, DML must have started the project around the same time as Meng started their's. So, unless DML has industrial spies, or they actually worked in conjunction with each other, it must be just a coincidence.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 05:02 AM UTC
As an aside, on the LHS of the Meng Tortoise box cover, it says '1/35 Tyranosaurus Series'. I'm wondering if they have more super-heavy AFV's being planned. If so, DML certainly stole any sales for a T-28!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 08:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As an aside, on the LHS of the Meng Tortoise box cover, it says '1/35 Tyranosaurus Series'. I'm wondering if they have more super-heavy AFV's being planned. If so, DML certainly stole any sales for a T-28!

I am not so sure about that as a number of corrections are already being thrown at DML ref this kit, if these corrections are made I am guessing that they will miss the release date. I just don't understand how DML manages to make such a good job of German AFV's but seems to struggle so much with Allied offerings.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 08:56 AM UTC
Mine is bought and paid for.

Now making room for it in the "Tank Factory" as we speak!

~ Jeff
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 01:43 AM UTC
Oh No!! Not another DML 'Jeep FUBAR'!
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 02:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I am not so sure about that as a number of corrections are already being thrown at DML ref this kit, if these corrections are made I am guessing that they will miss the release date. I just don't understand how DML manages to make such a good job of German AFV's but seems to struggle so much with Allied offerings.

I suspect its because Dragon has run teams through museums for the German stuff and has measurements galore in their database. I've not heard that they ever measured the T-28 or even got a walkaround so they're probably working off Hunnicutt plans and photos, maybe using the AA kit as a check-back.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if they were hoping to just use already molded components for the suspension, either through ignorance or even in the hopes that nobody would notice. Heck, I never would have bothered to check on the kit myself!
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 03:16 AM UTC
Looks a cracking kit at first glance, but as I already have the AA resin kit in the stash, I'll probably just stick with that. I'm sure it'll fly off the shelves though.

Great to see DML thinking outside the box and doing something other than German stuff.

- Steve
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 04:57 AM UTC
Cannot say if Dragon ever came to the Patton Museum to measure the only remaining T28 that did formally reside there but they certainly had the chance.

F.Y.I. The boys from AFV Club certainly spent many a day there working and measuring the Stuart for their recent offerings.

Mike
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2012 - 01:38 PM UTC
Very interesting subject. I plan to pick one up/ I guess my interest is sparked due to World of Tanks. Though the 4 track version is called the t95 and mounts a crushing 155 gun. Wonder if there is a 155 replacement barrel I can put on it..failing that at leat a 120. waiting for Free time or maybe Sprue to put up a pre order price
 _GOTOTOP