_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Master Box Type 170VK Radio Car
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 10:03 AM UTC
Well on to the next project, actually been working on this one on the side for a little time, but time to get serious.

So a while back I reviewed the . Master Box Type 170VK Radio Car. A nice looking kit, and well it needs to be build.

There is a lot of detail in this kit, and some you can add. I started off with the engine and frame, all went together very well. I did add some wiring to the engine, that will be completed with the body is installed, just for the little extra detail, in case as I get near the end and would like to leave the engine cover open.

On to the body, and it also goes together well, I am leaving the front dash and fire wall unattached to ease the painting up under the dash.

One of steps mentions cutting 0.5mm off either side of of the trunk floor, well to me 0.5mm is really small, so after assembling the sides of the car, I just sanded both sides of the part to fit.

So I have the basic body build, and I will paint the frame, engine, and underneath of the body and dash area before moving forward.

I should note, something I did not mention in my reveiw, and not sure how I overlooked it, but there are no part numbers on the sprues, which means constantly referencing the sprue layout diagram at the start of the instructions. Not all that bad, just a little annoying to me.

Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 11:58 AM UTC
Nice start, Kevin. It's nice to see some 1/35 scale passenger vehicles for a change. If you want to go completely OCD, consider Aber R-34 (Pneumatic joints, nipples and valves) to install brake lines and such.

I was considering buying this particular kit, too. I didn't realize there weren't any part numbers. I might fall back on my early method, somewhat successfully developed at age 7, while building Jo-Han car kits and Nichimo motorized tanks --- looking at the part and figuring out where it goes. It isn't any worse than the way I build'em now.
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 02:17 AM UTC
Work is continue on the great little model, I must say, so far, it is going together very well.

I have mounted the engine and run some wires to add a little detail.

The rest of the body went together very well, just watch the positioning of the side mirror brackets, as they are also the brackets for the front wind shield.

There is a slight fit issue with the radios, there back of the front panels will have to be sanded in the corners to fit over the "large" ejector casting in the corners of the body. An easy fix.

So as I start to run out of parts, it is off to the paint shop. Next update I will put the interior together, and I will have a comparison between the kit provide dash decals and the Archer set.

Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Armorama: 1,018 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 04:09 AM UTC
Hi Kevin
I really like this build, especially the wireringon the engine. Makes it look more real, although I'm not sure I would agree on the blue color wires. But hey, it'll have a nice breaking up of colors.
Jacob
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 04:32 AM UTC
I actually found images of the engine with blue plug wires, not sure why they were blue, but thought I would go with it. Remember the initial vehicle was civilian, so when they needed parts, they might have scrounged them from civilian vehicles or parts shops.

SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 03:34 AM UTC
The Radio Car has now been painted, using Vallejo Air Dark Yellow and RLM 62 for the camouflage. I left out the seat to make painting easier. With a coat of Future, time to apply the decals, including the instruments. I have the Archer Fine Transfer instrument set, and from the image below, you can tell they are much better detailed then the kit provided decals.

The Archer set are dry transfers, but do come with a small piece of their wet paper to allow them to be applied like a decal. Using the wet paper they applied very well, with a drop of Solvaset, sank right in.

Now I did notice on the dash, there was a forth instrument to the left of the steering column, but the Archer set only had three, same as kit supplied decals. Thus I used one of the kit decals for this location.

It was also time to mount the radios, and since they are in full view, I wanted to add some detail. First off, looking as reference material, there should be a strap holding the radios on, thus a little masking tape and voila. I also scratch build a set of head phone using plastic rod and some PE material.

I added some wire, to connect the battery box and the antenna
to complete the detail. I also threw on a decal from my spares for the radio label.

So now it is just a matter of throwing on the wheels, weathering and flat coats and this one will be done.

This is an excellent little kit, and I highly recommend adding it to your collection. I am now starting to look at some of the other versions being offered by Master Box as I really enjoyed the build.

Stay tuned for complete images.

SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 03:40 AM UTC
Well this one is off my work bench, other then after I took the pictures I noticed I forgot to do the mirror.

This is a great kit, fun build, and has tons of potential.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 01:09 PM UTC
Nice Kevin, but you did all that work on the engine - does that bonnet now lift off, or is it glued on?? It does look like a nice kit; I'm kind of intrigued by it, as there is a couple of these in a museum just down the road from here.

SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 01:20 PM UTC
Unfortunately I had a fit issue with the front grill and the bonnet, the grill did not want to go on with the location of the radiator. I got a little frustrated and removed the radiator. Not sure where I went wrong with the radiator mount, looked back at the instructions and it was mounted accordingly. I think the next one I build, I will mount the grill and radiator together, while dry fitting the bonnet. But I do know that detail is there, and I took the extra time on the radio.

Thanks for your comments.
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 01:34 PM UTC
Kevin,
Looks nice, to bad about the hood would have been the icing on the cake to be able to show off that great engine. At least you should have some cleared space on the workbench for your next project; always a good feeling!

Cheers,
Rick
 _GOTOTOP