_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Dragon Does Panzer III, Again
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 02:05 AM UTC
An announcement on the Dragon Models website looks like another variant of the Panzer III is on the way.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 03:48 AM UTC
Thanks, Kevin, this is the 5cm upgrade from this 3.7cm gunned kit, and a more widely-deployed version. This is good news, considering the cost of most CH white box kits.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 04:45 AM UTC
Every time I see a link like this I click on it hoping someone is finally bringing out one of the early, A through D, models. Oh well, maybe next time.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 07:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Every time I see a link like this I click on it hoping someone is finally bringing out one of the early, A through D, models. Oh well, maybe next time.

The problem is that those tanks (less than 60 total if I recall) had a VERY different suspension: leaf springs and not the torsion bars adopted in the E forward. These kits are all the same basic sprues with new and "mix & match" sprues added for the particular kit. In this case, likely this is that same kit as the C-H one I reviewed, but with the longer 50mm gun.

Bringing out an A-D would mean a much more-extensive reworking of the molds, as well as DML being convinced there's a big market for these very early Pz. IIIs. The good news, of course, is they could cannibalize the same base parts for all four models if they chose to put all four out.

I suspect an early Pz. III will depend on how well their current Pz. IV Ausf. A does.
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 08:06 AM UTC
Thanks for the news and info guys! I remember you mentioning the G was missing from DML's ranks a while back Bill, I assume this completes the G series? I've just completed the J, N w/schurzen,E and F and will have to get this baby.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 10:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The problem is that those tanks (less than 60 total if I recall) had a VERY different suspension: leaf springs and not the torsion bars adopted in the E forward. These kits are all the same basic sprues with new and "mix & match" sprues added for the particular kit. In this case, likely this is that same kit as the C-H one I reviewed, but with the longer 50mm gun.

Bringing out an A-D would mean a much more-extensive reworking of the molds, as well as DML being convinced there's a big market for these very early Pz. IIIs. The good news, of course, is they could cannibalize the same base parts for all four models if they chose to put all four out.

I suspect an early Pz. III will depend on how well their current Pz. IV Ausf. A does.

Hey Bill, yeah, we've had this discussion before, but I can still hope. Besides, I figure the more mentions on the forum about these, the more chance someone, somewhere will put them on the planning board. I'd even settle for an RPM or Mirage version. I can fix problems with a kit, I just can't build one from scratch.

I don't think anyone looks at the actual number built. There are kits out there now for tanks that were never built, or only built as prototypes. The C and D models were real combat veterans of the Polish and French campaigns. That in itself should create a lot of interest in them among European war modellers.

You're right with the idea of mixing parts for at least the B, C, and D models. The A though, presents it's own problems with the 5 wheel suspension it has, instead of the 8 wheels of the others. That would mean a different hull mold.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 07:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I assume this completes the G series? I've just completed the J, N w/schurzen,E and F and will have to get this baby.

Yes, Nate, you now have both guns, and quite a bit of flexibility. Thanks to Cory Sosebee on this forum, I learned today that many Gs were retrofitted with the 5cm gun prior to Barbarossa, though I suspect plenty of them had the 3.7cm one at first, since the T-34 proved to be a real challenge to German armor at the outset, which forced the addition of additional armor plate and a bigger pop gun.

Quoted Text

Besides, I figure the more mentions on the forum about these, the more chance someone, somewhere will put them on the planning board.

Correct, Bob, keep lobbying, I know DML hangs out here on Armorama, and perhaps if Trumpeter takes your suggestion, we'll end up with a Pz. III Early food fight like with the Sd.Kfz.7, LOL.

Quoted Text

I don't think anyone looks at the actual number built. There are kits out there now for tanks that were never built, or only built as prototypes. The C and D models were real combat veterans of the Polish and French campaigns.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to see DML venture into the upper alphabet for the Pz. III. It's my all-time favorite German tank, don't know why.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 09:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Exactly what I was thinking. Im hoping weŽll see them eventually though.
 _GOTOTOP