_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Panzer IB, Dragon 1/35
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 11:24 PM UTC
Hi Everyone

Finished this one this year for the Light Tanks Build and thought I'd post it here for your viewing and critique pleasure.

Dragon's Panzer IB in 1/35 kit #6186

This is the best Panzer Gray vehicle I've done to date.

I used a whole range of the new AK Interactive products and any problems are due to my inexperience with them, not the products themselves.

Used AK's Modulation set for Panzer Grau, Streaking grime for Panzer Gray, Filter for Panzer Gray, Wash for Panzer Gray, and the AK, Engine and Track set. (all bought for this project)

I like the colors for the modulation set but I strongly recommend a primer as it does not adhere to the plastic to well by itself.

The track set with the Track wash, and Steel Pigment set are great. gives a great finish to the tracks.

I went for a dusty tired look using pigments for weathering.

The Muffler shield was achieved by using 3 different rust pigment colors.

also replaced the early rear idlers with the later correct ones from another kit.

A couple of links for more info.

Link to my Panzer IB Build Log

Link to my Panzer IB Model Gallery with additional photos

thanks for looking
Delbert
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 - 01:05 AM UTC
very nice job
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 - 03:11 AM UTC
Impressive. Most impressive.
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 - 04:08 AM UTC
I love AK.... didn't care for the wash thou. But I build early German armor. It's my thing. Anyways, great job. I was in the same boat as you once. Still learning the AK stuff.

Take care,
Tom
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 - 06:06 AM UTC
Delbert I think you did a great job on this. I'm liking the AK washes and grimes, but have only tried on 3 models so far. Thanks for sharing!
AFVFan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 - 06:46 AM UTC
Pretty nicely done, Delbert. The only thing that jumps out at me is the the right track has a couple issues. It's a bit too tight and needs a little sag along the top (like the left one). The other issue is that it seems to defy gravity as it leaves the front sprocket by sagging inward.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 - 06:54 AM UTC
Thanks guys.

And Bob, yep you busted me. This is my first go at a German Indi style track, and I made a major mistake by gluing one on backwards, and had to break the tracks a bit and repair with some extra links from another kit.

I'll agree that the track sagging inwards seems to be a bit odd..

Delbert
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 - 10:10 AM UTC
Del;

Followed your effort in the campaign thread - watched it grow and mature! And it has. The Pz 1 is one of my fav tanks (OK, both 1A and 1B are a group fav ), and you have done it pretty good justice here.

There are a couple of things - first is the evident darkness of your dust and grime. This one is really just my personal preference and so of course needs to be taken only with bags of salt, as they say! It's way too dark for a dusty tank, IMHO! Unless one is traveling over black volcanic sand or coal, dust is "always" lighter - but again, only my preference!

The other is about your muffler heat-shield. Guess it has entirely failed its job! Seems a bit out of place to be so completely rusty yet that cover at the outlet from the hull shows no heat-damage at all. More generally, these covers would likely have been somewhat darkened or scorched over time, but not like they had been incandescently hot.

That not withstanding, the rust does look pretty nice - just over the top in my opine.

Overall, this is a fine tank, and you have done a nice job with a dunkelgrau coat.

Cheers!

Bob
AFVFan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 - 01:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys.
And Bob, yep you busted me...... I'll agree that the track sagging inwards seems to be a bit odd..
Delbert

Not to feel to bad about it Delbert. I only learned to look for things like that from making the same mistakes myself!
 _GOTOTOP