_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Waiting for a new Famo
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 06:36 PM UTC
Just throwing this out there for discussion:

When is Papa Tamiya going to bless us with some new variations on their glorious Famo???

From the resin folks we have an artillery variant, a Bilsen crane, an armored 88mm SPG. However it seems that the folks at Tamiya are satisfied to let their proud creation fade slowly into modeling history.

Wondering if anyone out there has a similar interest or ideas for other variants?

The Chassis Man
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 08:06 PM UTC
I'd love to see all those variants in plastic. I have several of the AM conversions but I can just never motivate myself to start any of them.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 08:15 PM UTC
Going by past history, the simple answer is probably never. Tamiya are not a company who have much track record in either re-tooling or producing variants on a basic model. Yes, there are exceptions - the re-tooling of their Matilda (not perfect, but a big improvement). I agree, what you suggested would be nice subjects, but unless DML decide to do their OWN Famo, it probably happen...
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 10:30 PM UTC
I agree with your conclusion Jim but I think Tamiya is actually known for retooling. The 35148 Tiger I retool from 1989 ushered in the modern era of 1/35 kits.

What followed? Pz IVJ, Pz IVH, Tiger II, Jagdpanther, StuG IIIG, StuG IIIB, Pz IIIL, Matilda II, Pz IIC, Panther G, Willys Jeep --- all these kits made other items in their line up obsolete.

Granted: in no way are they like king DML.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 10:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree with your conclusion Jim but I think Tamiya is actually known for retooling.

Oh, they'v certainly done a LOT of re-tooling, unfortunately, they've only really updated existing models with the addition of a bit o PE. What they have failed to do is really exploit a model for all its worth. Sometimes though DML's variants have been pretty much slightly modified with a new box...
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 11:48 PM UTC
Perhaps it's more related to when the FAMO came out. With some of the earlier kits they seemed more than ready to build on an existing kit, eg Sd.Kfz.7 = Sd.Kfz.7/1 and Sd.Kfz.7/2, Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf H = Stug IV, Ausf J, Wirbelwind, Mobelwagen, Brumbar.

But recently with their focus moving more to RC stuff and less to model kits they don't seem to have the enthusiasm anymore. I would have thought the FAMO would at least have been offered in the Arty tractor version if nothing else but these days it seems to be one or two new kits a year and plenty of "just add Aber".

If any of the other manufacturers were to do their own FAMO my money would be on HobbyBoss or Bronco before DML though. Other than the year of the Sd.Kfz.7 war they just don't seem to be that big on halftracks.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 03:57 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the great contributions!

I am always amazed at Tamiya that after a model has matured (the tooling is paid for and sales are dropping off due to market saturation) they don't bother to come out with variants.

Another good example I can think of is the GMC Deuce and a Half. Tamiya produces a GREAT kit of the soft top cab version but now as sales slow down it would be a natural to come out with an enclosed cab version, or a fuel truck, or a dump truck, a long wheel base version, a short wheelbase version, COE, fire truck, crane, etc.

Regarding the Deuce it would be a long easy list that would mean minimual front end investment in retooling, but yeld a maximum return on investment.

Again thanks to all that got involved in this topic.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 04:17 AM UTC
Yes it seems Tamiya often fails to follow up. I recall when the Wespe was released. How long did it take them to re-issue a Pz II?

Their "add PE or new figures and call it NEW principal" is irritating for sure (8.8cm Flak 36/37 Afrika, SdKfz 223, SdKfz 232 8 rad, Steyr 1500, etc.).

But they did follow up with the Char B1 bis, the Sturmtiger from the Tiger I, the T-55 variants.

Tamiya is definitely a love/hate relationship!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 11:16 AM UTC
I think my meaning is clear but I want to make sure; when I say a manufacturer doesn't follow up after a new model I am considering both the preferences of the modeler (the market demographics) as well as the manufacturer's investment in a given new model (tooling, packaging, advertising.)

Example: Tamiya came out with the Steyr Medium field car and then shortly afterwards came out with the Kommandeurwagon . This allowed them to reuse the existing tooling for the tires, wheels, frame, hood, fenders, differential, transmission and lower engine, greatly reducing Tamiya's start up investment cost compared to a totally new model.

For me, proper follow thru on Tamiya's part would be to also offer the load truck, the AA flak truck, the ambulance, radio van and the personnel carrier, etc.

As for their totally new Opel Blitz, proper follow thru would be to also offer one or more of the following: fuel trucks (there was at least two styles), the wood cab variant, the wood fired version, the radio van, the ambulance, the long wheel base truck that uses the bus frame and then of course the Opel bus itself!

Just saying . . . . .
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 11:47 AM UTC
You'll be a long time waiting for this from Tamiya. If they haven't done it after 20 years (yes this kit dates back to the 90s) they aren't going to. I also wonder just how many crane vehicles they would sell? Maybe the almost one-offs with Flak guns on?
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2013 - 08:03 AM UTC
I would say they could sell way more flak vehicles than were ever built in real life but as to the rest I am sure you are right.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2013 - 10:17 AM UTC
I would look for a company, other than DML. I wouldn't be too surprised to see an AFV Club, Trumpeter or other up and coming manufacturer to put one out in the next few years.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 03:02 AM UTC
I cannot help but think the armored cab version of the Famo with 88mm gun on board would sell thousands of model vehicles!

Papa Tamiya already has the tooling for the frame, driveline, tracks, cab interior, engine, fenders, AND the 88mm Gun.

Sounds like a no brainer to me . . . .
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 03:28 AM UTC
The 8 ton Bilsen crane version would not be nearly as popular but would probably sell reasonably well. Obivously it would have lots of diorama possibilities.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 03:35 AM UTC
Both kits are currently available as conversions in resin. For a while TWO DIFFERENT manufacturers were making the Bilsen crane. (Anyone want to buy the unbuilt Tiger Models conversion?)

Tamiya could produce another big ticket model and breath new life into their Famo molds at a tenth the cost of starting on a new 1/35th scale offering from scratch. Duh . . . .
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 12:28 AM UTC
The thing is ... this particular kit doesnt need that much updating ... it was a very high quality for the time, and still stands up well (and Im not a Tamiya fan). Its a pity it wasn´t a bit more available and at a better price that it demands today.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 11:31 AM UTC
You may be missing my point here, I am NOT saying we need a new retooled Famo even better than the one currently out there. The one we have is GREAT, bar none!

What I am saying is that Tamiya has all that great tooling sitting there (probably 75% of the current tooling can be reused, AS IS for OTHER Famo models.) So they should DO something with all that tooling sitting there gathering dust by perhaps offering us the armored 88mm SPG or the 8 ton Bilsen crane.
Anto992
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 11:56 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

As someone that has built more FAMOs then the average builder I have to say it is a realy good kit, not too complicated, not fancy...just a solid kit.

Tamiya is a bit like Mc Donalds. its just a kit to them, they wont upgrade it, they wont correct the mistakes on it, and they wont give a damb.... take it or leave it.

I peronaly think they could do it with the added sprue od tarps and a bit of brass thrown in......

But, I think we do need a plastic FAMO Crane, its the most common version after the GS version, where as the Flak wagons are interesting, they are not that common and the resin boys can take up the slack on them.

I think Dragon, Trumpeter or to a lesser sense Bronco are a better bet to bring one out and they will do more then one type, more likely to put tarps and canvas doors in as standerd...

All the best

Anto
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 12:22 PM UTC
Thank you Anto for weighing in on this one.

I guess I am just trying to make a stir, attempting to nudge Tamiya off their collective corporate butts to once again become a proactive model producer.

They have an awful lot of really great tooling sitting in their warehouses just collecting dust. I happen to think it would be good business for them to trot some of that tooling out and do more with it than just re-issue existing kits.

Yes, I do realize I am tilting at windmills.

I seriously doubt Tamiya has an agency somewhere mining these blogs for ideas and editorial comment like most of the top companies in any industry do on a continuing basis!

Thanks to everyone who has participated in this discussion.
Anto992
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 01:20 PM UTC
Hi Michael,

I would like to think that manufacturers do a bit of looking into what people would like to see comming out of their factories but if any do l doubt that Tamiya look as much as we would like, only two weeks ago I see they have re-released T-34s made a big hula balue over it.... still nothing new in the kits just re-pops....

Bronco re-do their mistakes when they come to light, Trumpeter and Hobby boss put plenty of pis out of their future releases and Dragon just fix it rebox it relable it and release it for us to pick at it and then they do it all again with a new box and a new lable and round and round .....

I do understand that you think you are "tilting at windmills" but its fun waiting to see what the next big thing is...but l have a feeling the Dragon will do it before anyone else and then there will be three others releasing it all at the same time.... its the nature of the beast.

Anthony
Anto992
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 01:33 PM UTC
and to add to my post above,

Tamiya have just announced a new Japanese MBT, of which there are only a handful in service, they also have brought out an M109 with a short barrel (Vietnam war) after they released a Paladin; all Italeri kits from the 1980s yes the 1980s, nearly 30 year old kits and they wont be cheap either and considering the two other companies kits its realy conesending of them. On the other hand there are other more needed AFVs that are over due (Leopard 1 Mexas, TAM, AML90, FV432, Saracen APC, M103, AMX13, Abbot SPG, M44, Chieftain) the list goes on and on.

Anthony
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 04:06 AM UTC
Dragon has been truly wonderful of late but also check out Mini Art! 3 VERSIONS OF THE MERCEDES IN LESS THAN A MONTH and a fire truck on the way and now the Tram! WOW
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But recently with their focus moving more to RC stuff and less to model kits they don't seem to have the enthusiasm anymore.

Say what? Tamiya has always had an RC lineup and if anything, over the past 20 years or so, their model releases have increased vs decreased.

There was a time in the 1980s that we were lucky to get a new armor kit from them once a year...we are getting about 2-3 three from them these days. Nothing like Dragon or Trumpeter, but Tamiya did have alot of releases about 40 years ago when they came out with their military miniatures series
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 11:39 PM UTC
T's latest re-release is a suction cup battery add-on motor for model boats and subs, HOW EXCITING!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 03:45 AM UTC
Neither a Bilsen nor a Famo but still an interesting dio resource for how a Famo with 8 ton Bilsen crane could be used in a diorama with an 88mm flak.
 _GOTOTOP