_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
PHOTOS
Freezing Eastern Wind
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 03:37 AM UTC
Thank you Darren I was very concerned that you would be ticked at my taking too many liberties.

As to the towing clevises, I am afraid the other gentleman is correct: if one were to hook the clevis through the looped end of the tow cable and then bolt the clevis into the mounting tow point on the Konig's Tiger that would be the correct usage.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 10:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I finally had one of those rare occasions when I finally got to complete a model

It has to be said Darren, considering the huge amount of work you put into contributing to Armorama, I'm not sure how you did find the time to do this.
It looks great, I particularly like that last photo - the way they're trudging along behind looks just right.
I go along with your thoughts on the snow too; some types of snow can be sticky and rather than falling off, have a tendency to build up instead. I often think that modellers have a slight tendency to play it safe with mud, snow etc. for fear of "covering up the model" and it's nice to see an example where the effect has a bit of commitment to it, as it were.
TREEMENDUS
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 82 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 11:21 AM UTC
Looks great Darren, very nice work indeed.

Ant
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 10:40 PM UTC
A very fine diorama you have there Darren- I like the composition with the soldiers trudging along behind the KT- their poses give a nice sense of them trying to battle the cold. The KT also makes a great focal point and lets the viewer look direct to it before sweeping down past it to the figures behind. Excellent stuff!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 01:11 AM UTC
As with most of us I suspect I tend to be over critical of my own efforts, and so it is good to hear when others tell you that for the most part it looks right. Thank you.
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 - 02:05 AM UTC
Amazing details on the figures, also the snow! I can get the feel as if infantrymen said "No more snow, please..." LOL Very incredible touch Darren, congratulations!
Removed by original poster on 05/26/13 - 10:49:09 (GMT).
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 1,389 posts
Armorama: 1,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 02:15 AM UTC
Nice one there Darren, snow is very convincing!!
Phil.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 02:47 AM UTC
Sorry. I should have given you positive criticism as well - it's just that you already got lots. The concept and execution is excellent, and the snow very realistic. It really looks like 20 - 30 degrees below zero! I tend to be overly-critical and look for errors
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 02:48 AM UTC
Thank you for all of your comments.

Biggles negatives can be good as well due to the ability to learn. You have corrected me on an incorrect long held belief, Thank you.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 03:59 AM UTC
Excellent, Darren!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 08:57 PM UTC
Very nice Darren. Great job on the figures and snow. The KT doesn´t look half bad either.

Some very important points have been raised in this thread, that all we dio builders should take heed of. Michael Koenig raises a very important point with colour temperature. His photo manipulation shows a huge improvement over the originals. Painting a scene like this, we should take the temperature into account and paint acordingly with colder colours. Its one thing being able to manipulate a photo, but I see too many winter scenes with warm rust and warm mud colours in real life. Adding some dark blues and purples would change the hue appropriately. Makes the scene more realistic to the eye as well.

Several guys have also mentioned ground work. I would include composition in this as well. If the base was smaller, its enough to show snow in the immediate area. But with a bigger base like this, a thick layer of snow hides the possibility for 2D details and drags down the overall scene. We have to accomodate for this, by adding more 3D detail for effect. The first image with a tree in the backgound goes some way towards this. Varying heights would have been another method to accomplish this.

This is as much as a "note to self" as I write this, but they were my spontaeneous thoughts while looking at the images.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 01:46 AM UTC
Just a thought:

There would be room for a wrecked/flattened jeep, kubel or swimwagon covered in snow on this dio and it would create the 3D affect you mentioned above.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 01:55 AM UTC
Frank thank you for your comments which do highlight things to consider.

Michael I did consider placing a small destroyed German artillery gun in the scene, but it seemed to much to me.

On the subject of size; it is large because I have ordered a glass case to go over it and so the base had to be large enough to accomadate that main gun and the figures.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 05:30 PM UTC
Just happened to come across this photo from another dio. If one were going to pre-connect the tow lines to the clevis this is how it would be done.

Regards

Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 05:59 PM UTC
So for my understanding of AFV terminology, the cable is attached to the shackle which is attached to the towing mount.
The clevis being the C shape connector not seen in this
photo.

Correct?

Cheers,
Joe
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 11:53 PM UTC
The clevis IS what you are calling the shackle. Either name probably fits just as well.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 12:47 AM UTC
Thanks Michael
 _GOTOTOP