_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
Dragon In Vietnam, Again
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 01:56 AM UTC
Four figure sets have been announced by Dragon Models in 1/35 scale, and they are all set for Vietnam.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 354 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 02:08 AM UTC
Well done Dragon,

why in hell they re-release these old sets from the 90īs. Sure you get four Figures for about 8 to 10€ but the quality is far away from today standards.I have them all and the Marine Hue sets are bad in Detail and Quality. The Green berets and Cav Figures are OK but lacks quality and Detail too. For me it is wasted money. They bring out an complete new M48 tank and now this. Why not some new sets, for example a tank crew.
Nooo, what we need are tons of German WW2 Figures. Why donīt re-release all of these old ones. There arenīt many German WW2 Figures aviable from Dragon ;-).
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 02:25 AM UTC
I'm hoping they're brought up to today's standards a bit. Either way Hornet heads would do wonders for them
ComaBlack
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 194 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 02:29 AM UTC
It isn't likely that they've changed any molds. For me this is a good release, because I've been seeking some of these sets with heavy mods in mind.

It would be awesome if Dragon were to do some new sprues of more modern/'Nam area equipment in plastic. More along the lines of the Gen.2 equipment that comes with their WW2 sets. I think that alone would not only go a long way to improving the figures but also tempt more people into making the purchase.
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 02:36 AM UTC
If only they could rerelease their urban elite series !!!!
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 04:00 AM UTC
I have all of them and I never thought they were 'that' bad!

yes, a little "flat" on some details, but a little work and a resin head and they can be made very nice.

Besides... your other option is either wait for masterbox, or spend $15-18 for EACH figure in resin.

glad to see them back. though I don't think the price tag will warrant many retail buyers.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 05:10 AM UTC
^^DITTO^^

I think they are very usable. I welcome them again. Even though I have them all already, I'll probably get a set or two again.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 05:44 AM UTC
I have these figure sets, and they're actually quite good for their age. Good to have them available again.. although they were always "gottable" from HK

Hisham
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 07:22 AM UTC
Another Dragon "burn". Maybe they think the older modellers are so old by now that they have forgotten these figs and think they are new, and that the younger modellers hadn't seen them before and think they are new.
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 08:47 AM UTC
seeing the responses on this thread makes me want to dig them out and paint up a few...just to prove what can be done.

parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 08:56 AM UTC
They stopped too short.They really need to rerelease the helicopter crew,that's hard to find.Always seen plenty of these on hobbysites.

Tom
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 08:57 PM UTC
to be more precise : green beret kit have good details, but the figure are giant size compared to the other kits (like the marine recon set, which is a good set by the way). Khe Sanh, you could could be called flat figures : No folds, no curves, stif figures. 1st cavalry, I never had them on hand. Tet offensive is my second Dragon figure kit I made, so my memories are not that good on the quality of the set. The pair of the black buy carrying the wounded has an interesting poses. In the nam series, in my opinion the best kits are Us navy seals 2, Marine recon, and ARVN rangers.
Demchenko
Vendor
BRAVO-6
Visit this Community
Rostov, Russia
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 10:11 PM UTC
Julien,you`re right, these 3 sets are the best of NAM-series. 3305 set looks too "old-fashioned" and simple (especially anatomy, strange folds), figures are closer to 1:32 scale than 1:35. But 3305 boxart is absolutely amazing! To my mind one of the best from Dragon collection. Although all these figures of 1990th era have no contemporary level, but I like it, cause my Nam fever began with it. :-)
RECON22
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 665 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 11:16 PM UTC
I wish they would re-release ALL the 'Urban Elite' series too, I appreciate the re release of the Nam stuff, but come on Dragon you pump out a new box of German WW2 every week so give us some NEW MODERNS....please.
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 05:24 AM UTC
Bummer, when I saw the headline I was hoping this was going to be an all new Vietnam era tank crew for their M48. Oh well, maybe the crew will materialize with the next Vietnam announcement from Dragon...or someone else.

Despite their age, (right around 20 years old, yikes, has it really been that long?) these guys bring back some good memories.

I remember, the Tet figures being on the bulky side while the Khe Sanh figures were on the thin side. Regardless, I loved the little detail parts they added for the helmet bands like the bottle of LSA and toothbrush or the shell for the M79.

I've since traded off all my unbuilt Dragon Marines in favor of the Hobby Fan and Bravo6 USMC figures but I did pick up a couple of the Air Cav and Green Beret figures not too long ago. Probably more for nostalgia than anything else but they are quite usable.
chrishobbs
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 09:04 AM UTC
I'm with Sherb. I was expecting new releases. Not only was the detail pretty poor, the guns looked too small, especially the M60. I bought the Khe Shan and Tet set with the intention of putting them in a dio. However even though they are both 1/35 the 2 sets were totally different. No way the could both be used together. I'd like to think Dragon have improved upon them and given them the same treatement thier latest generation figures have.
 _GOTOTOP