_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Dragon News from Japan
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 02:33 AM UTC
A few highlights from the Dragon Models Stand at the All Japan Model and Hobby Show have some pretty interesting looking kits coming.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 04:00 AM UTC
Always interesting when companies post up displays which include coming new releases!

It does indeed look like there could be a new RSO kit in the D line-up - one with both the 7.5cm PaK 40 and that cool-looking tilt! THAT is pretty exciting indeed, to me!

Now - the tilt will be new... I think the $55.00 (more-or-less expected new D kit price here in the States) question(s) is/are "will the D have updated and corrected the driver's compartment, rear gun-deck, gun, and suspension issues folks have mentioned on the original RSO w/ PaK 40/4 kit, or did the D just create part(s) for the new tilt and insert that sprue into the old kit and add new art-work for a "new" kit?". I mean... Really! Opportunity of the current life-time! Why not at least create some "real" RSO seats to replace those modeled from the US M113 plastic seats which someone put into that museum relic?

Another SdKfz 10/ variant sounds OK - one towing a 5cm PaK 38 would certainly be a mainstreamish "new" presentation of this little Wehrmacht workhorse in a role it often filled. I might guess that this will be an ensemble kit combining the recent troop-carrying 10/ kit with that aging PaK 38 kit... IF that old PaK kit were to get re-tooled, this could be exciting. Now, if the D would tackle say, a new-tool Nebelwurfer to be towed along by that horse...

There looks also to be some sort of 4-wheel truck mounting a smallish gun - that could be a real pull, to me, as I LOVE small trucks with mounted guns! And the blurry label suggests at a glance the "SdKfz..." label that would denote something German WWII (so I immediately start dreaming of a completely new-tool Horch 1A or similar mounting a 2cm FlaK 38! )... HOW I WISH! But the pics are rather unclear and I have no real idea if that is what I'm seeing, or just fervently hoping for!

I, and I am sure many others, will be WATCHING and WAITING for further news!

Bob
HDSC2D
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 05:27 AM UTC
The M103 in plastic is welcome news! Does anyone know what the "Black Label" line is? Cold War era?
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 06:04 AM UTC
My guess on "Black Label" is "even more expensive than usual"
Firecap4
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 309 posts
Armorama: 288 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 06:20 AM UTC
How about a re-release of the M1A1 AIM and M1A2 SEP Abrams??
Ironmike
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 287 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 08:46 AM UTC
As Dragon has and continues to make quality kits, some are too detailed for a lot of younger and older modelers. The price tags are getting a bit too steep for retired folks like me or thirteen year old kids with a paper route. They will eventually drive away interested parties.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 08:52 AM UTC
Ironmike: This is the case, with all manufacturers. It's about how well you manage your money. I draw social security disability and can afford a few Dragon kits, a month. There appear to be some welcome additions, here. I am building my stash of Dragon and Trumpeter kits, while building some of the "easier" Tamiya and Academy kits.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 08:57 AM UTC
These are the official kits that Dragon is listing as announced at the show.

The Sdkfz 2 and the Marita figures set had already been previously announced so aren't really 'new', but they were on display at the show for the first time and have been updated with their boxart, etc.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 01:29 PM UTC
M103... yet another tank in World of Tanks making an appearance in the modeling world.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 02:42 AM UTC
What's with the Jagdpanther G2? DML's previous Jagdpanther was (and is) an excellent kit, and, I'll bet, with lots more PE than the upcoming release. The only thing interesting as far as I'm concerned, is the line drawing of the M-10 behind the Jagdpanther. I hope this means that an M-10 (and maybe M-36) will be somewhere in the not-too-distant future.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What's with the Jagdpanther G2? DML's previous Jagdpanther was (and is) an excellent kit, and, I'll bet, with lots more PE than the upcoming release. The only thing interesting as far as I'm concerned, is the line drawing of the M-10 behind the Jagdpanther. I hope this means that an M-10 (and maybe M-36) will be somewhere in the not-too-distant future.

I was wondering the same thing about the Jagdpanther.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 02:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

While Dragon's previous kit #6393 was labeled a 'Late Production' JP, the kit used the G1 hull. Same thing with #6494 that is the pre-zimmed version of the Late JP G1. This JP is on the G2 hull so could be considered a 'Final' JP in that regard. Differences won't be huge but they are there. HTH!
Ironmike
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 287 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 10:00 AM UTC
To retiredyank. Indeed, all the model outfits are jacking up their prices. The cost of petrolium based products, I suppose. I understand about budgeting, my friend but other costs draw my shekles away from hje hobby towards other things like food and utilities. Oh well, it could be worse until one of my novels takes off.
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 10:55 AM UTC
Interesting news! So, hopefully better figs are in the future. These early war German Eastern Front "mix n match" sets are seriously making it hard for even a big DML German fanboy like myself to defend. RSO- this will be the best one. Sd.kfz 10- finally a tilt! Jagdpanther-nice for a final version for defending the Reich, I'm more interested in that M10! We need one from D very badly! M103-Cool but I wish another manufacturer would satisfy post war markets and leave D to focus on more WW2 nationalities. Mike and Matt, I hear what you guys are saying. I poured my soul and finances into college and career planning to evade student loans. It took me 7 years to get my BS and MA and as a result I was only able to afford 1 large DML kit a year and 2-3 figure kits at most. Although I missed out on the social experiences and fun, I hit the jackpot in my first career job out of school and I'm now extremely lucky and set at 27. I still have that super tight budget mentality though and I think that's why we are all the way we are..this is our passion and we spend our hard earned money this way instead of on other unhealthy money pits. This is why I have a hard time being labeled a nerd for staying at home building on a Saturday night such as this, instead of going downtown to drink flavored poison at some meat market bar dance club. Perspective is priceless Cheers everyone! Now, go build something incredible.
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 11:02 AM UTC
Thank you Mr. Plunk, I'm a fan. Your clear and concise Sd.kfz.250 build is the reason I now have a decent version of my own favorite vehicle on the shelf.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 11:09 AM UTC
I'm ready for another RSO (after building the Italeri kit) and this one with the cover looks HAWT!

I just need a canvas cover for the Steyr Tractor now.

Jeff
wolfhounds
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 10:31 PM UTC
Looking forward to getting an M103. Have wanted one for years. Maybe Dragon will do the raised deck A2, in the future.
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2013 - 05:03 AM UTC
I'm just looking forward to the Tiger 1 Late with crew in 1/72
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 - 10:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you Mr. Plunk, I'm a fan. Your clear and concise Sd.kfz.250 build is the reason I now have a decent version of my own favorite vehicle on the shelf.

Glad to hear a build of mine helped you out!
 _GOTOTOP