_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Bronco Sdkfz 6/2 3.7cm Flak36 build log
Tiger1944
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 152 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 06:45 PM UTC
After taking part in a couple of campaigns I thought I would start a build log.
This log is for probably the most complex model I have attempted to date, as this kit has about a million microscopic parts...that the carpet monster is probably salivating over
Anyway I started this kit yesterday, with step 1 entailing the front cross-member and leaf spring suspension:

Very pleased with how it's all going together so far.
Step 2 concerns the steering assembly and axles for the interleaved road wheels.

Now to get some parts of the drive train done in step 3, the installation of the transmission and drive shaft to the winch. As well as the construction of the radiator which remains unattached at this point.

The only after market items I am adding to this build is a set of Dragon figures and an RB models 3.7cm flak barrel.
Tiger1944
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 - 10:14 AM UTC
Some more progress:

Steps 4 & 5 construction of the engine, fitting engine and mounting of towing / winch hardware. I will probably paint the drive train before any further assembly, even though little of it will be visible when assembled.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 - 12:33 PM UTC
Jason;

I LOVE these FlaK tracks - I NEVER have nor ever will build one (for some reason, I find them very intimidating! ) !, but they really look COOL! I'll be watching as you go

You can pretty effectively (and I mean 99% + effective) starve the carpet monster when doing up the tiny bits and PE fragments:

Do your tiny-part cut-off inside a clear plastic bag that you have your hands, tools, and sprue inside. Fly-a-ways are trapped. I also cut tiny parts and PE bits off with the sprue and part (or fret and part) stuck on some blue painter's tape, and cut them off with a hobby knife on a cutting block. Parts are retained and ready to be applied.

This should help starve your monster!

Bob
Tiger1944
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 - 02:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jason;

I LOVE these FlaK tracks - I NEVER have nor ever will build one (for some reason, I find them very intimidating! ) !, but they really look COOL! I'll be watching as you go

You can pretty effectively (and I mean 99% + effective) starve the carpet monster when doing up the tiny bits and PE fragments:

Do your tiny-part cut-off inside a clear plastic bag that you have your hands, tools, and sprue inside. Fly-a-ways are trapped. I also cut tiny parts and PE bits off with the sprue and part (or fret and part) stuck on some blue painter's tape, and cut them off with a hobby knife on a cutting block. Parts are retained and ready to be applied.

This should help starve your monster!

Bob

Thanks very much Bob
I will try out those methods of dealing with tiny parts, believe me this kit has plenty!
Even the Kar-98 bolt action rifles have a separately moulded bolt and clip!
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 01:37 AM UTC
Another method is put tape on the PE fret so that when I cut the small bits off they stay stuck to the tape, no fly aways!

Looking good so far!
Tiger1944
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 09:50 AM UTC
Thanks Colin, I have started doing that..no more parts for mr carpet monster..well I hope not anyway

Also does anyone know whereabouts the compressed air tanks go?
two are included in the kit but no instruction as to where on the chassis they are mounted.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 10:27 PM UTC
Nice start Jason. Very neat building.
Whats the plastic like to work with? Ive only built 2 Bronco kits .... which were their early kits, and thought the plastic was horrible to work with .... especially the Hotchkiss. The comet was a little better.
Tiger1944
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 09:30 AM UTC
Thanks very much Frank
I find Bronco's newer kits really good, this tan plastic is quite nice to work with and isn't too soft like Trumpeter. Nor is it to hard and brittle like some early Revell / Italeri kits..so not to sound like Goldilocks, but it's just right!
Tiger1944
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 08:58 PM UTC
Before any further assembly, I quickly painted the chassis and drive train. Not sure how much of this would even be visible on the completed model!

I have had an idea for a diorama, where the engine has stalled and one of the mechanically minded crew members is taking a look at it. Whilst this is happening incoming Soviet aircraft are spotted and the rest of the crew get busy with the 3.7cm flak gun.

Does anyone know of a figure that is doing work on an engine at all?
Tiger1944
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 - 09:03 PM UTC
Some more progress, with all the road wheels, exhaust, cable, and tires now on. I was supposed to assemble the wheels so they are movable, but didn't and I don't think I'm gonna play tanks on the floor with it!

Tiger1944
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 09:02 PM UTC
Been busy with my Stug III for the Stug campaign lately. But today I got stuck once again into this big Bronco kit.

Some work on the front fender and grill...I know one thing I will be replacing those terrible super delicate width indicators..have already broken one three times

Then some work on the firewall and crew cab, this is one of those tricky kits that has to be painted in parts. As assembling it as a whole and then painting would be almost impossible!

I will be painting the firewall, dashboard and crew area before I proceed more with this area of the vehicle.

And lastly I put together one run of fully workable tracks (45 links per side). These have rubber pads on them so must remember that when it comes time to paint.

Tiger1944
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 08:59 PM UTC
More work on the half track:

A close up of the dashboard, lots of fiddly work involved!
All the gauges are decals, once set I used a toothpick and put PVA (wood) glue
over each gauge. Because PVA dries clear it gives the impression of a glass face on the
gauge.
Dust on the floor was done using AK interactive's Afrika Korps dust wash, and seats were painted in artist's oil paints.
Finding oil paint to be quite a versatile medium, the same type of blending with acrylics / enamels would be a real chore!

A mock up with the tray, cab and workable tracks in position. Next up..more painting!
robw_uk
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,224 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 09:18 PM UTC
now that is very nice... been looking at Bronco kits for the Bronco campaign later in the year... this tempting but I fear a little complex for me... will have to see as i go through my other builds for the year how my confidence is doing ;-)
Tiger1944
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 09:24 PM UTC
Thanks Rob, this kit has really tested my patience. The amount of tiny parts is ridiculous, especially the tine PE parts that have to be folded!
I have a Hungarian Zrinyl assault gun stashed away for the bronco campaign, and that's even more complex than the one I am currently building.
A nice fairly easy kit by Bronco is their Panzer II Ausf.D, builds into a nice model and there's the vanilla version or pioneer bridging version to choose from.
funster63
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 02:10 AM UTC
Hi jason

Great work i have just bought this model so i will be keeping a close eye on your biuld , to see what tips i can pick up and to get inspiration for my own model .
keep the updates coming,
thanks mate
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 03:30 AM UTC
Dragon makes a few mechanic sets, especially one for a SdKfz 250 I believe. Tamiya had a set for a panzer at one time. Master Box may also have something suitable. The MB web site also has nice photos of their figure sets so you can see what you're getting.
funster63
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2015 - 05:31 PM UTC
can't wait to see how you paint your tracks
don't stop now
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2015 - 06:28 PM UTC
Nice build so far...and it does you justice by sectioning your build to paint as you go. Much more accurate way to build and be accurate! Love the dashboard!
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 02:08 PM UTC
Looks to be a good kit. The tracks are very impressive.

The details are greatfor the interior of the cab.

Looking forward to see more.
Steel_Spektor
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2015 - 10:25 AM UTC
Always liked these vehicles and yours is shaping up nicely. Maybe use wire for the indicators if they are prone to breaking.
tcomca
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Always liked these vehicles and yours is shaping up nicely. Maybe use wire for the indicators if they are prone to breaking.

Might want to use fabric pins with the ball ends on them. THey come in colors, white or black. Ideal for gear levers when you break the kit provided buggers.
 _GOTOTOP