_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
German Triebwagen
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 10:41 AM UTC
The latest vehicle to run on rails has been announced by Miniart with a German Railcar.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 01:34 PM UTC
Can anybody see any difference between this and the existing tram beyond a) decals and color scheme, b) advertising boards and c) the route number plate and rotating destination board on each end. It's a bit of a stretch to call it a followup - seems more to be a boxing of the European Tram kit with the parts to build it as a specific vehicle. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that the wording (along with stuff like "the new Triebwagen on the way" in the review of the "2 base plates in one box" set just announced) seems to suggest this is something substantially different, rather than just (essentially) the same kit with different markings (and the bits to display the markings on).
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 03:42 PM UTC
It's a tram built by MAN/Siemens-Schuckert (Serie 600) and here's the real one
http://www.sfnbg.de/index.php/de/projekte/78-triebwagen-641
restorted for a museum at Nuremberg.

Michael
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:30 AM UTC
Tram, tram, tram, tram, tram, tram, tram, tram, tram, tram, tram, tram, tram, tram, tram, tram, tram, tram, tram, tram, tram, tram, tram, wonderful tram! I can so see a Berlin 1945 dio with a wrecked one.

Michael, to Al's question, it does look like the same basic kit. And the link you posted isn't QUITE the same, either: look at the window array in both the two kits (identical, with two large windows flanked by two smaller ones), and the restored tram (a row of identically-sized windows).

That having been said, I'm glad to have more opportunities to build trams, which are an essential part of any European urban diorama. The different signs, markings, etc. are in keeping with MiniArt's usual way of doing thigs: the windows and doors from ALL their buildings, from Normandy to Kiev, are the same sprue.
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:57 AM UTC
Hi Bill,
YES, the kits are the same - only different decals etc.
NO, the restored 641 has two large windows flanked by two smaller ones like the 2 kits!

http://www.hans-maennel.de/D/mus_strab/bilder/fnfs_nfs_641.jpg

The 1st pic in my 1st posting is showing 641 as a workshop tram in its very late time of use (6 equal windows of the same size). And this old workhorse was restored to the former appearance as for passenger transport.

Michael
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 06:27 AM UTC
Michael, thanks for clearing that up! I have no objection to two kits that are the same except for markings, that gives us options!
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 09:22 AM UTC
Aesthetically, it would have been nicer if the tram track ran across the base at an angle rather than down one side. I'm just being picky! I note these trams have 609 parts according to the box, I'll be interested to see a build up before I put my toe in the water, that sounds like a lot of very small parts, considering it doesn't have tracks!!!
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 09:53 AM UTC
Terry, over on PMMS, has a full build review.. not an easy kit to build... but looks like lots of fun!

Full Build Review

Hisham
LAH1SS
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 231 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:54 AM UTC
I have the first kit 38001 and it does come included with a base and has tracks plus the poles for the over head system...I am of the understanding the new kit even though its identical could possibly have two bases included plus the poles for the over head system......... I plan on getting the second new one and scratch building what is missing off the first one so they are the same type of tram but using different numbers etc to identify them
LAH1SS
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 05:41 PM UTC
Both kits are identical bar the addition of the sign boards in the new kit see link below

http://www.miniart-models.com/

if you click on NEWS and then the link for the new kit it will have the sprue shots pictured
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 - 05:04 AM UTC
It looks as though the new tram will have advertising art the first one does not. I don't see a second base, but MA is releasing a two-base tram line kit to supplement I guess.
LAH1SS
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 - 08:22 AM UTC
Yes that's correct Bill... I initially thought there were two bases as seen in the MODELLING MADNESS article on the kit but the MA website shows only the one..... The double base is coming out though as you said
mailman7
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 02:25 PM UTC
I bet that's going be a beast to put together and paint, I want one....
 _GOTOTOP