_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
PHOTOS
Sdkfz 7 towing a Sfh 18
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 04:30 AM UTC
Vicente Muñoz shares with us some images of his Sdkfz 7 towing an Sfh 18.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 04:44 AM UTC
Hello Vicente,

I think this is one of the best builds I've seen so far. Outstanding in details. Like the bike and the rest of the stowage. Gun is excellent in weathering.
A real treat for my eyes in a modelers perspective world.

Great job Mister

Regards,

RJ
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 04:53 AM UTC
Very nice work ... congrats!

Rick
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 04:57 AM UTC
Half-Tracks and Howitzers -- gotta' love 'em! Two of my favorite WWII historical vehicles.

The windshield is spot-on and I love that you stowed the RH engine cover in the rear of the Half-Track! The bicycle is a nice touch as well. Nice work!

Curious: Which kits did you decide to use; was it Dragon's Sd.Kfz.7 and Trumpeter's Sfh 18?

--mike
acebatau
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 616 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 05:29 PM UTC
Great built, love it!

ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 01:22 AM UTC
Great looking models! I'm loath to criticize Vincente's work but there are three items he might consider changing with the howitzer. Note how close the barrel is to the ground? Very dangerous.

1) the howitzer slide would be locked in place (those clamps on the trailing legs lock onto the rear of the slide)
2) the barrel is "taken out of battery" and slides about 3 feet back (to shorten its length at the rear)
3) its gun sight would be put away.

Just some suggestion for artillery builders.

http://www.lonesentry.com/ordnance/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/howitzer.jpg
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 03:02 AM UTC
Vicente; outstanding! Your weathering is remarkable. I did not take ericadeane's 3 points as criticism, rather as a helpful eye towards detail concerning things most of us who are not artillerists would not have noticed.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 11:23 AM UTC
OUTSTANDING !!!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 03:53 AM UTC
Very nicely done!
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 07:50 AM UTC
Great job. I agree that the barrel sits too close to the ground to look naturally, but a small detail. Very nice weathering.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 01:18 PM UTC
Just when I think I've been impressed on this site and can't be more WOWWED! Something like this comes along! Only one question-on the wheels for the gon, are they aire filled or solid rubber? I only ask because if they were solid, there would be "chunks" missing from the edges.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 01:18 PM UTC
Still WAY BEYOND my abilities! AWESOME!!
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 02:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

because if they were solid, there would be "chunks" missing from the edges.

They were solid. But certainly you're not saying every wheel started deteriorating as soon as it rolled out the factory doors, right? They could have bits worn off -- but certainly TONS of contemporary pics show the in very good condition.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 01:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... certainly TONS of contemporary pics show the in very good condition.

What Roy said.

I have looked at more Sd.Kfz.7 prime mover photos than any other German vehicle, and the hard rubber tires on these field pieces held up well initially. There is a paucity of photos from the LW period, however, so we don't have a ton of evidence how the tires lasted over time or how often they needed to be replaced.

The only other suggestion I would add besides the angle of the barrel is that these guns had a canvas bag over the muzzle to prevent road dust from fouling the rifling. But that's a small quibble for an outstanding set-up.
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 02:02 AM UTC
Hi. Some discussions on the gun seems to be a worldwide issue. The link below shows a Dragon kit. The experts however discovered the same 3 points of mistakes made by the builder.

http://www.twenot-forums.nl/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29414&sid=407cb6d0f1e559240f1fee11c7c56411

It's Dutch, but the pictures speak for themselves.

Cheers,

RJ
joepanzer
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 02:13 AM UTC
here's a photo of a museum piece http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:150mm_sFH18_howitzer_base_borden_1.jpg I wasn't saying that the tires should be completely disentegrated, I was just thinking that with the level of weathering/chipping on the paint of the gun, the tires should show a bit more wear. I was on M-1's US Army for 4 years, seen first hand what the wear on that rubber is like on several different types of vehicles
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was just thinking that with the level of weathering/chipping on the paint of the gun, the tires should show a bit more wear.

Excellent point! I concur
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 02:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

here's a photo of a museum piece http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:150mm_sFH18_howitzer_base_borden_1.jpg I wasn't saying that the tires should be completely disentegrated, I was just thinking that with the level of weathering/chipping on the paint of the gun, the tires should show a bit more wear.

I think it's a judgement call.

First of all, the photo referenced is of a relic: we can't use surviving vehicles for this sort of discussion because we don't know what its restoration state is, how it is stored or when the last time those tires were replaced. We need to go by historical photos.

The gun in this model set might or might not be the same age as its prime mover, and the tires might've been replaced at some point. What we tend to forget about real war is the constant turnover of materiel as things wear out. Motor pools have to swap out parts, assemblies and even entire vehicles as conditions permit and the demands of battle require.

Personally, I tend to take a bite out of my tires/wheels because the fact that most fighting in WW2 was done off-road would mean a lot of stones, gravel and other debris would be impacting rubber tires or road wheels. On this SU-100 build, I notched most of the tires, but not all to reflect the fact that some wheels might have been repaired:

That having been said, I would not mark him down if I were judging this model in a competition, it's superb.
 _GOTOTOP