_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
News
D-Day Miniature: British Infantry in Action, WWII
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 07:30 AM UTC

Pawel from D-Day Miniature Studio announced his new 1/35 scale figure releases.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 07:32 AM UTC
I like the Bren gunner, but the facial expression on the crouching figure just ruins it for me, but I guess could always replace the head. What were they thinking with that facial expression?
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the Bren gunner, but the facial expression on the crouching figure just ruins it for me, but I guess could always replace the head. What were they thinking with that facial expression?

That Bren Gunner's expression is intense; he looks like he means to kill Jerry!

The other Brit ... I guess he could be barking out commands but it looks more like: "Can you bring me a spot o' tea ... right then ... cheerio." I think adding a thin mustache could help. Still, nice figures.

--mike
RECON22
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 665 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 04:40 PM UTC
Nice, good to see some new action/fighting poses in the Allied range...thank you Pawel!
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 12:33 AM UTC
I can't figure out what kind of jacket or tunic the squatting figure is wearing.

It looks like it has knitted cuffs and waistband like the US Cold Weather Jacket (i.e. "Tanker's Jacket", but the collar doesn't fit that. I don't think he's wearing a sweater under the usual Brit Battledress tunic - there's no evidence of the tunic cuffs if that were the case.

Also, the area defined inside of the lanyard is painted as if it's a totally different item of clothing to the rest of his jacket, but there's no indication under the edges of the lanyard that there are two different clothing items (i.e. no open edges of a jacket front).

What am I missing here?

On the other hand, I like the dynamic poses. They have a "fresh" look and are definitely something different.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 12:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can't figure out what kind of jacket or tunic the squatting figure is wearing.

It looks like it has knitted cuffs and waistband like the US Cold Weather Jacket (i.e. "Tanker's Jacket", but the collar doesn't fit that. I don't think he's wearing a sweater under the usual Brit Battledress tunic - there's no evidence of the tunic cuffs if that were the case.

Also, the area defined inside of the lanyard is painted as if it's a totally different item of clothing to the rest of his jacket, but there's no indication under the edges of the lanyard that there are two different clothing items (i.e. no open edges of a jacket front).

What am I missing here?

Beyond me as well...
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What am I missing here?

well, I am asking myself the same questions!! When I saw the pic I first thought they were GIs with Tommy helmets!!

BD jackets with knitted cuffs..!???!?? Khaki colour a trifle odd (but that can easily be remedied)!

The poses are dynamic though and detail seems crisp!!!

Cheers

Romain

Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 12:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is what author said about it on another website:

"The officer has army pullover, it had special holes for the officers shirt's shoulder-straps to make the rank visible. I tried to present Canadian army soldiers in this boxart, so the battle dress is more greenish than British one."

I'm not into WW2 and I have no idea what all this means, so please don't shoot the messenger.

Mario
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"The officer has army pullover, it had special holes for the officers shirt's shoulder-straps to make the rank visible."

Hmmm...? OK, I can kind of buy that.

The knit pullover has a fairly tight weave and in scale, there wouldn't be a lot of texture. However, it also has a deep, knitted "V" neck in the front with a wide (about 1") ribbed edge which is missing from the figure. (At least I can't see it.)

The modification for the epaulettes (according to Brayley's "The World War II Tommy") was not actually standard and was "sometimes adapted by officers to allow shirt epaulettes to be worn through the shoulders to display rank" (40). So, that's a nice touch by the sculptor.

I think the knit "V" collar could be added easy enough to distinguish between the front of the pullover and the front of the shirt under it. The shirt collar would hide it where it goes over the shoulders and behind the neck,

Thanks for the additional info, Mario. It makes more sense now with that explanation.

The more I look at these guys, the more I like the posing.

Cheers!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 02:33 AM UTC
The outfit struck me a bit odd as well but at least we have some Commonwealth figs for once.
How many more standing around and/or pointing Germans do we need?
J
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 02:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

"The officer has army pullover, it had special holes for the officers shirt's shoulder-straps to make the rank visible. I tried to present Canadian army soldiers in this boxart, so the battle dress is more greenish than British one."

I'm not into WW2 and I have no idea what all this means, so please don't shoot the messenger.

Mario

Yes, a cardigan with a poppin shirt underneath. The V of the cardigan looks hidden by the lanyard and looks a bit strange because of the green collar of the shirt.which looks a bit large for a shirt. Interesting figs though..

Al
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 03:37 AM UTC
Didn't the pull-over sweater have added patches at the shoulders and elbows?
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 03:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Didn't the pull-over sweater have added patches at the shoulders and elbows?

If we are talking about the jungle green late war pullover, then yes, there were patches and openings for shirt epaulettes.

I'm not sure this item was issued in time for WW2 action, but then again, I'm no expert!

Still, even with Canadians and with a pullover, I find the cuff details hard to swallow.

And while Canadians had a greener tone for their BDs, the colour here is too light IMHO! (but as I said...easy remedied )

I'm with Jerry....right side and no pointing!! Fantastic!!!

Cheers

Romain

_GOTOTOP