_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Squadron German Infantry Equipment
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - 04:14 AM UTC
Another walk down memory lane. Back in the 1970s Squadron issued several high quality injection-molded sets of "1/35" detail sets: Jerry cans (US and Wehrmacht); pioneer tools; Wehrmacht infantry weapons and kit. They seem to be closer to 1/32 or even 1/30, of course 1/32 was then the standard military scale, with Asian companies (Bandai, Nichimo, Nitto, etc.) trying hard to set it at 1/30. Most of us learned of these sets through Shep Paine's dioramas in modeling magazines.

P-38 with a Tamiya helmet:

Some kit items plus backpacks:

...flashlight ("torch"), sights for the MG 34 / 42 tripod mount...

...bread bag and backpack.

I have a set of these around somewhere and will review them when I find them.

1/35 .50 Caliber Parade

Model Memory Lane

HR Products Parade
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 785 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 10:46 AM UTC
Brings back some memories
Cam
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 174 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 12:34 PM UTC
Still have the German equipment in the stash, it was one of the first accessories set I purchased.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 05:35 PM UTC
The tooling was by Historex, I had several of those over the years. The little eagle insignias were handy. It was also the only source I ever saw for the prewar fur-covered field pack with the shelter quarter wrapped around it (seen in the Nurenberg rallies , but not during the war).
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The tooling was by Historex

Gerald,

Thanks, I didn't know the origin. Yes, those eagles and SS collar badges are wonderful - just wish they'd made more than one per set.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 12:07 PM UTC
Gerald, Preiser do the fur covered backpack with blanket rolled over the top in their 1/35th German infantry sets. I've built a couple of these sets and they're not bad at all. The Advancing Grenadiers one is a great set as far as spare parts goes. Some really interesting bits in ther that I had to look up and I like to think I'm pretty switched on where it comes to German equipment. A frame bags etc in there. Price wise they're about the same as DML if you go figure for figure and the moulding's nice and crisp. You can even see the pin on their egg grenades which have always been a bit small in DML's sets. Shame that they only do a few sets.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 06:28 PM UTC
I bought a few sets of these back in the day. They were light years ahead of everything else available at the time. They looked so good to me I never found the perfect project to use them on and so they sat in my spares box for decades!!
I still make that mistake but am getting better.
J
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gerald, Preiser do the fur covered backpack with blanket rolled over the top in their 1/35th German infantry sets. ...Advancing Grenadiers one is a great set as far as spare parts goes.

Here's the review: armorama.kitmaker.net/review/3168
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 09:23 AM UTC
Long time ago this set was the only way to get a flashlight or seperate rifle pouches or Mp40 pouches with the cleaning set pouch... let alone the backpack.

At the time with TV shows and movies as our guide you would think the pack was standard ww2 issue as opposed to ww1 gear from studio storage all bought surplus after the Great War.

I ended up using one on a Hungarian infantry conversion and another one a World War I infantry man.

Once upon a time 54mm referred to the height of the figure and the true scale of gear was somewhat subjective. Historex figures are 54mm to eye level, not the top of their head so they scale out to 1/30 rather than 1/32. Otherwise they're tall skinny guys that it's up to the modeler to fix.

The gear here is generally 1/32 though some is smaller than comparable gear in more modern 1/35 kits like the Dragon German equipment set. That stuff was gigantic and even dwarfed stuff in Airfix 1/32 multipose figures. I found this looked better all around.

So I wonder who has the molds?
 _GOTOTOP