_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Dragon: Kursk Panzer III
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 08:03 AM UTC

On the way from Dragon Models is another Panzer III, this time a tank involved in the fighting around Kursk.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 08:29 AM UTC
While I don't welcome the DS rubber band tracks, this looks like a nice alternative to kit #6558 (that one had Magic Tracks).
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 08:34 AM UTC
Well not what I was hoping for but I guess different decals and a title changes it for some.

Still, it will build into a pretty interesting vehicle. Now, how many were actually at Kursk?

Jeff
Garrand
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 09:27 AM UTC
Very nice. This is the variant I've wanted to build for several years, glad to see Dragon is putting it all in one box for me. Looking forward to it!

Damon.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 10:36 AM UTC
I built Dragon's Imperial Series version of this tank- that one was a pain because you had to remove details from the fender, leaving an area without treadplate. I am definitely getting this one!
Dwaynewilly
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 12:01 PM UTC
According to the Operation Citadel books by Restayn/Moller, there were over 450 Mk III long tanks in the inventories of the panzer regiments at the start of the offensive, the majority being in the south. Since the type was introduced in late 1942 it is likely that a good portion of the 250 produced were present at Kursk. The 2nd and 3rd SS panzer divisions had over 120 Mk III longs available.

I will most assuredly be adding one of these to my collection.

Dwayne
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 12:30 AM UTC
i want! I have the older Imperial Series in my stash but, getting this one too ! ) I love the PZ III in a skirt!
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
KitMaker: 773 posts
Armorama: 765 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 01:11 AM UTC
Wow!, I like the muffler in the M series!, and with the Schurzen its a must have one!.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 01:36 AM UTC
Pzr III is my favorite Pz.Kpfw; who is not fascinated by Kursk? Even though I haven't built a tank in about 10 years, I welcome this kit and will buy one. I have no experience with the latest ideas on tracks, yet the rubberband tracks seem risky. But I have not enjoyed link-by-link assembly so far, and will give these a try.
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 01:37 AM UTC
I am getting this
miniflea
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 02:18 AM UTC
Looks good other than the track. I'm a bit disappointed that Dragon seems to be moving away from magic track, which I think is not only easier to use but gives a better looking result. I actually found this website through a tutorial on how to quickly and easily do an entire run of magic track all at once.
melende
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 05:38 AM UTC
miniflea-please share the link.
miniflea
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 09:37 AM UTC
Took a bit of digging but I found it:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/1737
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 - 01:40 PM UTC
I know what you guys mean about the tracks. I used to hate individual links until my 3rd model (Panzer IV Ausf H) at age 21 when I realized the importance of the "sag" for the proper look. Believe it or not, I actually have grown to love the individual track assembly process...its one of my favorite parts of the whole game and I find it very relaxing, gratifying and all-around theraputic lol.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 - 01:53 PM UTC
For the difference in cost I still don't understand why DML do not include both options in the box and keep everyone sweet.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For the difference in cost I still don't understand why DML do not include both options in the box and keep everyone sweet.

Right On, Darren! That they should! Maybe if we all copy Darren's line and post it all over this site in ALL CAPS, the D might eventually get some message... it's that or maybe fill the world's oceans with slips of paper in plastic soda bottles, or something! (No, I am NOT actually suggesting putting plastic bottles out - perish the thought! But somehow it would be nice were we to find SOME avenue by which we MagicTrack - lovers could get a message to D... )

@Nathan W.;

I'm with you! I too started out intimidated and hating them (hey, I first met link tracks on a model kit when I was ca 54! It's the old dog - new tricks problem! ) but came to really love them and yes, they can be fun and therapeutic and are a high point in a build to me, as well.

Just don't find yourself one day sitting at the bench with 15 sets of link-tracks all going together... taken from 15 otherwise-untouched kits. That might look like taking therapy a bit too far!

Bob
Modelltreff
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 111 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 - 04:46 AM UTC
I bet that more and more further releases will contain these DS toy tracks in order to rip another 20 Euros out of your wallet for an accessory MagicTracks set...
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 - 06:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I bet that more and more further releases will contain these DS toy tracks in order to rip another 20 Euros out of your wallet for an accessory MagicTracks set...

You may well be right, Ingo.

But if so, it's not a good marketing strategy to catch more dollars / euros from those of us who already have a stash larger than needed (large enough to last over 200+ years at the rate I build ) and full of great kits with link tracks! Put differently, this shift towards those DS things will just deter once-determined and committed (and, in my case, seriously spend-thrifty) Dragon fans - the new subjects, while interesting (like this one and the sibling III Beo-Pz w/ schurzen and DS kit), are not compelling enough to get me to spring for the extra money outlay for links, so... there are lots of other things coming along from other brands. Everybody probably can use a little diversification in their buying!

Bob
 _GOTOTOP