_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Hobby Zone: Modular Workbench Organization
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 08:48 PM UTC

Something new and very interesting from Hobby Zone to help organize your model building area.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:45 PM UTC
Nifty, too bad I have nowhere to put something like this. The paint rack looks tempting though.

Kimmo
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:55 PM UTC
Great concept, but very expensive; I'm assuming that's due to the included 23% VAT (yipes!). However, I am looking at redoing my model area and each of these modules is a great start to build your own. I'm not sure how well the magnets would hold each module in place, however.
corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:28 PM UTC
If the magnets are anything like the ones from Back 2 Base-ix modular organizing systems, they are very strong. I have an acrylic organizing system from Back 2 Base-ix and I am very happy with it.
accelr8
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 156 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:34 PM UTC
Pricey, but right up my alley. Here's hoping i get a tax refund this year! Then again, maybe not considering shipping to the US would be very expensive.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:42 PM UTC
I went to the website and found no pricing (I honestly didn't look too hard) but just how expensive is it? Is it for the whole system that we see above or is it a piece together set?

Looks great!

Jeff
101stairborne
Visit this Community
Zeeland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 12:48 AM UTC
Just looked at the prices for the system. $290 total! Ex shipping But modular so you dont have to buy all..
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 342 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 12:58 AM UTC
The prices are clearly shown on the website. And while the system shown in the photo may be $290, it's not like you need to buy it all at once, nor do you need to make it that big. Prices seem to vary from $7 for the end shelves to about $35 for the corner pieces. As long as the magnets are strong enough and the quality is decent, I think this a fantastic, purpose built system instead of trying to adapt systems meant for things other then modeling (like my Ikea desks!). And since each piece looks to be based on a standard size of 30cm L x 15cm x 15cm, it makes it very easy to adapt it to whatever area you need to fill. Looks like I'll be modifying my Ikea setup; some of these pieces look like they will fit perfect.
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 02:42 AM UTC
The system, as shown in the photo is $474.21 in USD, not including shipping. There are 26 individual pieces in that system ranging from #34.55 each to 5.45 each.

I agree that it is definitely something that would be awesome to build over time; as mentioned above each module is roughly the same dimensions.

I might have to pull the trigger on this one and do a "bench review" (pardon the pun) on some of the more popular pieces. I REALLY like the brushes and tools module, for example, along with the 26mm paint modules, since I'm almost exclusively using dropper style acrylic paints.
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 03:23 AM UTC
I sent an email to HobbyZone asking about the VAT and deducting it for non-European purchasers. Their response is that, due to complicated procedures in Poland, that will not deduct it, and recommend using their Germany dealer PK-Pro (www.pk-pro-de) if you want a 0% VAT purchase. Unfortunately, all of these items are shown on PK-Pro's website as unavailable (perhaps because they are special order or still new and they don't have stock yet?) and with no pricing, so it's hard to compare total costs with shipping. I'll email PK-Pro and ask about pricing and availability.
philmmusic
Visit this Community
Solothurn, Switzerland
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 01:59 PM UTC
these look really really great and the prices also look quite fantastic. I think I'm going to order for my other painting hobby... :-)
Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2015 - 12:04 AM UTC
It is awesome. The modular system is a great idea !
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2015 - 04:09 AM UTC
Since my post above, I've put in an order to Pk-Pro. Right now, for non-European purchasers, this would be the place to buy HobbyZone products. Their shopping cart deducts the VAT and their DHL postage rates are considerably less then those from HobbyZone. I saved about 20 Euro on the Modular Workbench items, and about 30 Euro on the shipping by ordering from PK-Pro. Might take a few extra days to get as they are only ordering stock now, but the savings justifies the extra time.
dimkaras
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 101 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 01:26 PM UTC
Yesterday arrived my 4 modules. Today they are already at my workbench and they look and work pretty good! All parts fit exactly, the magnets are very strong, although at some modules they needed some "extra" power to fit at their holes. Everything is fine, and I must say I was quite skeptical for this purchase.
ArtyG37B
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 07:50 PM UTC
I too pulled the trigger. I bought 7 modules! Got them in 12 days. The pieces fit together really well, it is well engineered. Most of it is together now, just plugging away now with all the drawers. My desk is now alot neater. I highly recommend this product line.
greif8
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 06:58 PM UTC
I too recently bought some modules - six - from PK Pro. They arrived two days after I ordered and paid for them, I live in Germany, so shipping was very quick. They built together very well, though a few of the magnets were very tight fits, and each module "clicks" to its neighbor very firmly. I now have a bit more space on my desk, as before I had several different types of storage items strung together. Overall, I am very statisfied with the quailty of the system.
 _GOTOTOP