_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Large Scale
Dioramas with large scale (1/16 plus) subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
OIF USF-I QRF Mosul, Iraq 2007
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 249 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 01:06 PM UTC
Hello fellow Armorama modelers, I am attempting to build my first diorama and wanted to share my journey for various reasons. The theme, OIF USF-I QRF mission conducted IVO Mosul, Iraq 2007...

Enjoy and please feel free to provide any suggestions, thank you.

JGphins
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 01:14 PM UTC
The initial inventory...

JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 01:19 PM UTC
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 01:26 PM UTC
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 01:41 PM UTC
Hi Joaquin,

Ok - wow!! You're preparing for what looks like one heck of a build!! This will be great to watch! I'm currently working on a similar build, a few years earlier, in 2004. I'll certainly keep an eye on this! Looking good so far!

Cheers
Nick
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 01:42 PM UTC
Looks like it's going to be epic.I'll be following this one.
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 01:51 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies gents!

I'll try my best to build an awesome diorama but I really don't have too much experience at all. This will be my first attempt at this scale and I have seen wonderful builds on this site by many...

It's all about enjoying and having fun and that's my plan. Not sure how long it will take to complete but I'm in no rush. I will post updates of what I have so far, thanks again.

JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 01:56 PM UTC
pattesmaq
Visit this Community
Haute-Alpes, France
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 02:04 PM UTC
hello
it's a big work
good luck !!!!!
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 02:14 PM UTC
Dukie99
Visit this Community
Aargau, Switzerland
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 02:43 PM UTC
Great start. I will follow with interest and thank you for your service.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 03:56 PM UTC
Looks like you are off to a good start. The straight M1025 HMMWV is wrong for '07 though. No unarmored vehicles were allowed off the FOBs by that time. The best HMMWV for '07 would be one of the M1151s you have shown in the box.

The rest of your vehicles are pretty good for the time period, except one. The Tamiya M2A2 is too old in that version though. By '07, M2A3 Brads with ERA were the standard. A good option is the Meng M2A3 TUSK kit. It is perfect for '07, and it comes with a very detailed, full interior.

Also, out of the figure sets you have shown, the two Trumpeter sets are not really good for '07 either as they are wearing older DCUs, not ACUs as the other figures are. You could still see some DCUs in '07, but most had transitioned to ACUs. ACUs were mandatory and the only authorized uniform as of 30 APR '08. Also, the quality of the figures is pretty low and nowhere near the MB figures, which are great.

Hope that helps.
henkp
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,080 posts
Armorama: 1,064 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 04:26 PM UTC
woow thats a big diorama nice work
take a look at this site its also a big diorama
http://www.ammontijo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3726

henk
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 06:48 PM UTC
This is going to be a major project, looking forward to seeing it progress. Guess the sandbox is going to be a major theme for these winter builds, I have one going for Fallujah. Gino is right about the Trumpeter figure sets, those do leave a bit to be desired in comparison to the Masterbox sets.
bbailey_33
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 108 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 07:22 PM UTC
I would love to attempt something this size.
Problem; in my case, where to store after completion.
Where do you guys put these huge dio's ?
dcook11
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 07:42 PM UTC
I assume you know the flag is backwards.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 08:17 PM UTC
Getting my popcorn ready!!
J
dcook11
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 08:43 PM UTC
Was something wrong with my post? I think the dio is awesome.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 08:56 PM UTC
Following this one closely! Please keep posting! Looking good
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like you are off to a good start. The straight M1025 HMMWV is wrong for '07 though. No unarmored vehicles were allowed off the FOBs by that time. The best HMMWV for '07 would be one of the M1151s you have shown in the box.

The rest of your vehicles are pretty good for the time period, except one. The Tamiya M2A2 is too old in that version though. By '07, M2A3 Brads with ERA were the standard. A good option is the Meng M2A3 TUSK kit. It is perfect for '07, and it comes with a very detailed, full interior.

Also, out of the figure sets you have shown, the two Trumpeter sets are not really good for '07 either as they are wearing older DCUs, not ACUs as the other figures are. You could still see some DCUs in '07, but most had transitioned to ACUs. ACUs were mandatory and the only authorized uniform as of 30 APR '08. Also, the quality of the figures is pretty low and nowhere near the MB figures, which are great.

Hope that helps.

Thank you such much for your input Gino. This is the major reason why I wanted to share my work, all the suggestions are welcomed.

The M1025 was modeled first as a practice run since it was acquired on ebay for only $3 s/h fee. It is a staging vehicle on the early model floor plan for visual purposes only.

Here's my intended floor plan and the vehicle list for this project so far:

Same rule applied to the US ARMY figures. The Trumpeter sets are practice runs but I think this soldier from one of those Trumpeter sets come out decent for in-door building placement... What do you guys think?

Thanks again to everyone for the kind input, suggestions, and viewing. It's ALL appreciated.

SSG Granados, Joaquin AKA JGphins
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 10:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I assume you know the flag is backwards.

Yes dcook11, it only appears to be backwards however, the correct direction and placement of the USA flag on ACUs is in that direction. Here's a couple pictures of myself in uniform down range...

Notice the direction of the flag? It appears to be backwards BUT it's worn that way because the STARs of our great nation is "FACING THE ENEMY".

Hope this clears it up but I truly appreciate your feed back please keep them coming, their all appreciated.

SSG Granados, Joaquin
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 11:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would love to attempt something this size.
Problem; in my case, where to store after completion.
Where do you guys put these huge dio's ?

bbaily_33, thanks for reply. I understand your concern. Many years ago I started investing thousands of dollars in HO scale model railroad kits in hope of creating a huge ghetto theme layout looking like Brooklyn, NY set in early 90's... For many years all the kits just sat in my closet until I discovered dioramas as on modeling option. A smaller slice of a created world that fits anywhere plus gives us the opportunity to actually complete our kits. Here's my work area:

One floating shelf approx. 80" long x 12" deep. As you can see, I installed two, one for my HO scale 1/87 project and the other for my Iraq theme scale 1/35 project.

Look into these options and get yourself modeling today! It's a great load off for me stress wise, and a lot of fun.
dcook11
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 11:17 PM UTC
You are correct on the uniforms. Because the army wears unit patches on left shoulder, the flag patch was worn on the right shoulder. Since this appeared to make it seem they were going backwards, the Army had to get special permission to reverse the flag patch so it appears as if the soldier is moving forward. FDR signed the flag code into effect. I meant the patch on the shelf/display.Did not wish to offend. A lot of people are not aware of the proper display of the flag. I served for 6 years in defense of this great nation, and I thank each and every vet for their service.
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 11:36 PM UTC
dcook11, thank you sir for your service and no issues here. Just thought it will be a cool touch to add my uniform flag patch on the dio frame. I will add several coins, and metals as well to the finished project... Not sure how long it will take since ARMY keeps me away from home a lot but I work on this project as time allows.

JGphins
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 11:59 PM UTC
That Trumpy figure you did up by the 1025 looks good to go, figures are definitely not my strong suit. I just noticed in one of the pictures you have a photograph of a stairwell as a backdrop behind the open door, great idea to give the impression of something finite at the end of the hall. This is going to be one heck of a build, you've captured the feel of a street over there with the buildings one on top of another and all that same dingy, dusty tan color. It's one of those things that someone who's been there has an eye for.
 _GOTOTOP