_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Order of painting when airbrushing?
ron_harris
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 08:58 AM UTC
Greetings;
As posted before I normally like to hand brush but I thought i'd try using my airbrush for my next kit. The question I have for the airbrush experts is, do you paint the parts on the trees or build up as many sub-assemblies as you can then airbrush? I can see the benefits of both but I think I would build up sub-assemblies.
If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Thanks eh;

ron
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 10:54 AM UTC
I actually try to build the entire model before adding paint.

Certain assemblies are simply "tacked" on so that I can see the model in it's "final" shape...

Here's an example

The subassemblies are the way to go... you will save yourself the trouble of repainting the spots where the parts come off the sprues.

Hope this helps.
Tim
stavka2000
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 120 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 11:54 AM UTC
I usually make sub assemblies, like turret etc. But it really depends on the type of tank.

My leopard 1 for example (current project) has a bustle rack around the turret that you can't already put on before you paint the turret, so therefore you have to paint the turret, making sure the points at which the bustle rack attaches are covered or easily cleaned, or else you have a hard time scraping paint out of those holes. Same for the tools on the sides of many tanks.

After a while, you'll get some judgment in doing the things in the proper way.

Cheers,

Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 02:26 PM UTC
I prefer to build the complete model before applying paint, but that's hardly ever possible.

The big, but less detailed parts, like the bodies of models are assembled an will than be painted. After that I do the big parts with the more difficult corners / edges like bombs, ammoracks. In between I concentrate on all the little seperate parts.

I think the painting part is a very personal thing. Everyone does it his own way. May be you can try the different approaches and than decide which approach suits you best.

Good Luck and I'm always interested in seeing the results !
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 01:46 AM UTC
I build the entire model, but leave the wheels off. I tape the wheels to long pieces of cardboard and paint one side, then the other. I find it's easier to paint the wheels separately than if they are on the model.

Nic
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 03:41 AM UTC
I built the whole thing then air brush them. Yes, there will be spots that you cannot get to, for me, it's usually the wheels and tracks behind the side skirt, things like that, but my thinking is, well....you not gonna to see them anyway....

But I think I will try the tape the wheels on the card board thing, seems to be very interesting. and probably will be easier for painting the rubber rims.... :-)
Army
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 09:10 AM UTC
I build all sub-asseblies that are the same color and paint them before attaching to the other assemblies, making sure there is no paint on the glue points (using tape to mask). I do remove parts from the trees so i dont have to retouch the connecting points of the tree.
I paint 99% with an airbrush and use brushes for small touch-ups only. This way works best for me.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 09:22 AM UTC
For me it entirely depends on the kit. Are there interiors that are visible? Road wheels is a must for me to paint first. Sometimes I just wing the whole kit...sort of like I'll cross that road when I get there.
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 09:27 AM UTC
Ron,

I, like many of the prior posts above, paint my models after they are nearly completed. I leave off the tracks, and road wheels and the turret (if it has any) will also be seperate.

I paint the wheels with the template method (easy masking agent) unless I am going for that 'mud' look (still not quite there yet). The tracks get a seperate painting scheme.

After the major componets are assembles and painted (sometimes weathering), then I assemble and complete. Yes, there might be a spot or two that will not get some color (hence the constant checks) and there are some areas that *must* be painted before assembly (the rear louvers of my numerous T-34 for example).

Anway, hope all this advice is helpfull.

Dave
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 10:12 AM UTC
Subassemblies......just depends on paint accessability.

Tread.

BTW...my best suggestion is to simply build, or in this case, paint the kit in your head. Just think about how you're going to paint it, then plan accordingly.
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 07:08 AM UTC
I don´t find any sense in making life more difficult as it is. For the only piece I completed so far, a Schwimmwagen, I painted the interior and body separately. I also painted the tires and tools while still in the trees. It was ok this time, I went for heavy weathering anyway and it blended all together...

Toni
 _GOTOTOP