_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
MiniArt: Panzer III Ausf D
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 11:23 AM UTC

MiniArt has released information and pictures of their Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.D. This release when it hits the market will have workable tracks and a very nice turret interior.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 07:03 PM UTC
While the service life of the Pz. III A-D was quite limited, nevertheless I'm very happy to see them being released. Dragon really dropped the ball here, since they had cornered the market pretty much on the III, where they have released just about every variant you can imagine. Now MA has taken over the early configuration and in spite of some fit issues, etc. has given modelers what they want: the early IIIs.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 07:56 PM UTC
Maybe MiniArt will be so kind as to produce an early short barrel StuG lll. Seems like Dragon is not interested (except for their ancient Shanghai or Imperial Dragon kit).
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 08:04 PM UTC
Hope they fixed the problems with the rear engine deck that their last one had.
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 09:12 PM UTC
Gotta have one of these for my PzIII collection.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 01:59 AM UTC
Yes, I too hope the deck problems gets fixed for this version.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 05:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The deck parts are visible in the sprue shots, so did they get close or not? As I recall the problem with the previous kit was not just a subtle variance.

KL
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 08:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The deck parts are visible in the sprue shots, so did they get close or not? As I recall the problem with the previous kit was not just a subtle variance.

KL

I don't have access to the tech drawings so the sprue shots mean nothing to me. I'm just waiting for one of the people in the know to make the determination.

You're right about the previous kit, though. I followed a guy's build where he did the corrections on the deck/hull. It wasn't a job for the faint of heart!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 02:56 PM UTC
i sense a pattern. Miniart seems to foul up engine hatches on their major armor kits. First the Valentine and now this. Still gonna get one, have to see which one has the most interesting options.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 08:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i sense a pattern. Miniart seems to foul up engine hatches on their major armor kits. First the Valentine and now this. Still gonna get one, have to see which one has the most interesting options.

I wonder how the up-coming BRONCO Pz.III Ausf.A will stack up against the MINIART early Pz.III's? The BRONCO kit will be UNIQUE among Pz.IIIs, as it was THE ONLY VERSION to incorporate 5 large-ish Road Wheels, with 4 main lightening holes, as opposed to the 6 Road Wheels of the Ausf.Es-Ausf.Ns, and the 8 small Road Wheels of the Ausf.B-Ausf.Ds...

Seeing the unfortunate mess that MINIART made of the Engine Decks of their Pz.IIIs arouses my curiosity as to how BRONCO handled the Engine Decks of their entry into the fray. I remember BRONCO's inaccurate Turret contained in the initial realease of their US M24 Chaffee. At least BRONCO made a "Correction" Turret, which modellers were able to obtain from BRONCO gratis, with proof of purchase. Subsequent releases include the corrected Turret. At least BRONCO MADE THE EFFORT...

Also interested in their take on the "MAXXPRO", which we have yet to see ONE YEAR after their announcement of this kit.

I will probably knuckle under and get one of the MINIART early Pz.IIIs, but I'm not sure which one, yet. That purchase will be contingent on the Engine Decks and related parts. Hopefully, MINIART will have corrected these parts in this new release of the Ausf.D... If not, the market is open for some enterprising after-market manufacturer(s) to take the bull by the horns and offer a "Corrections Kit" for us. I'm surprised that no one has risen to the task, at least, not to my knowledge, anyway...

Are you hearing me, TIGER MODELS?

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 08:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe MiniArt will be so kind as to produce an early short barrel StuG lll. Seems like Dragon is not interested (except for their ancient Shanghai or Imperial Dragon kit).

TAMIYA made/makes an early short-barreled StuG.III, if I'm not mistaken. The only REAL drawback of this kit is the vinyl tracks, which most experienced modellers replace anyway...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 08:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

While the service life of the Pz. III A-D was quite limited, nevertheless I'm very happy to see them being released. Dragon really dropped the ball here, since they had cornered the market pretty much on the III, where they have released just about every variant you can imagine. Now MA has taken over the early configuration and in spite of some fit issues, etc. has given modelers what they want: the early IIIs.

DON'T expect DRAGON to release any kind of a new Pz.Kpfw.III that incorporates a new Lower Hull or Suspension that doesn't use their established 6 Road Wheel set-up, as seen in their Ausf.E-Ausf.N series of kits, or their StuG.IIIs. With DRAGON, it's a question of economics, rather than OUR wants or needs...

We are LUCKY to get MINIART's Ausf.B-Ausf.D kits, and BRONCO's up-coming Pz.III Ausf.A, where Pz.IIIs are concerned. We can forget about anything really new, as regards to Pz.IIIs coming from DRAGON, even as excellent, though repetitive as their existing Pz.III and StuG.III kits are...
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

TAMIYA made/makes an early short-barreled StuG.III, if I'm not mistaken. The only REAL drawback of this kit is the vinyl tracks, which most experienced modellers replace anyway...

I have the DML kit in my stash, is the Tamiya one better? If so, in what way(s)?
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 11:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have the DML kit in my stash, is the Tamiya one better? If so, in what way(s)?

Here's a link to the current Tamiya offering (#35281):
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10045534

It looks like it has a working suspension system, if you need such a thing, plus metal engine screens and a metal barrel.

#25143 would be the one I'd keep an eye out for on the used market. In addition to the items above, it also has a complete set of PE with it. Here's the link for it:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10163691

Hope this helps answer your question.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 12:46 AM UTC
Bob, thanks, if it weren't for the shipping, the Japanese kit is a real steal (that and it's sold out).

I'm trying to decide, tho, if I pick up any points for buying that kit and dumping the DML kit I have in my stash. Looks like a wash to me, since both kits will need tracks.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Armorama: 712 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 02:16 AM UTC
So even though you think that Dragon won't release the early Panzer III versions because of economics rather than what WE want (isn't that the way companies stay viable?) you won't be buying the Miniart one because of massive errors in the engine hatches? And why do these errors make the kit 'unbuildable' for us non-AMS types? :-)
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 05:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm trying to decide, tho, if I pick up any points for buying that kit and dumping the DML kit I have in my stash. Looks like a wash to me, since both kits will need tracks.

Looking on Ebay I saw 3 of the versions with PE sell between $35 and $45 (including shipping). You'll just need to bide your time for another cheap one to come along.....just something to think about.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 05:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So even though you think that Dragon won't release the early Panzer III versions because of economics rather than what WE want (isn't that the way companies stay viable?) you won't be buying the Miniart one because of massive errors in the engine hatches? And why do these errors make the kit 'unbuildable' for us non-AMS types? :-)

Oh, the kit is totally buildable as is, and it'll even look like what it's supposed to, if you don't know any better.

The problem I have is that, in this day and time, there is absolutely no reason for a company not to get the major details right on a kit of new design. The information is obviously out there. All they need to do follow it. Even as long as I've been waiting for these early marques to be released, I flatly refuse rewarding a company for "shoddy" work by buying one of them.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 06:33 AM UTC
The DML StuG is really old, and the Tamiya is undoubtedly the better. Just looking for something better than Tamiya.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 01:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Bill, set your mind to rest- The TAMIYA early, "short" barreled StuG.III kits are right up there with the latest DRAGON Pz.IIIs and StuG.IIIs excellent quality, yet are simpler in execution and with a shorter build-time. As I mentioned previously, you'll want to replace the tracks in the TAMIYA early Stug.III kits...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 02:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Oh, the kit is totally buildable as is, and it'll even look like what it's supposed to, if you don't know any better.

The problem I have is that, in this day and time, there is absolutely no reason for a company not to get the major details right on a kit of new design. The information is obviously out there. All they need to do follow it. Even as long as I've been waiting for these early marques to be released, I flatly refuse rewarding a company for "shoddy" work by buying one of them.

I didn't say that I wouldn't buy any of the MINIART Pz.III kits. Read my entry again. I DID say that I will probably buy one of them eventually, but I'm also hoping that some after-market company will someday offer a resin "correction" set for the Engine Deck. I agree that there is certainly enough info and reference material out there for model companies to "get it right" the first time, whatever the subject may be.

Also, it is my opinion that if certain model companies only want to produce what THEY WANT, and not what WE WANT, eventually, we will get tired of the same old wares, and WE WILL SHOP ELSEWHERE for what WE WANT. DRAGON has yet again announced a "NEW" TIGER: the TIGER I "131 s.Pz.Abt.504 Tunisia". OOOOH!!!

This is a classic example of the same old thing with a few "new" parts and decals, in a new box, commanding a higher price, which I think is un-deserved.....

How many of these "TUNISIA" TIGER Is were actually built?

I'd MUCH RATHER see an entirely new M8 75mm Howitzer Motor Carriage or a Dodge WC-54 Ambulance from some enterprising plastic kit manufacturer...

easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 11:16 PM UTC
bill_c ..when you compare Dragon to Tamiya...the main thing to consider is..how complex a build do you want.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Bill

Hope you don't mind a link to another site but Terry over on PMMS did a direct comparison of the two kits a while back. Although the DML one is also reboxed and sold as a Italeri it's the same kit, even down to the boxart. They just added the Italeri logo

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/misc/stug3b/stug3b.htm

I had the Italeri/DML one and the Tamiya one but sold on the Italeri/DML one as I didn't want to mess about with correcting the stepped detail leading up to the sighting hole. Tamiya got it right. The DML one doesn't fair that bad considering its age, but read the article to make your own decision.

Alan
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 02:46 AM UTC
Thanks, Alan. Turns out I have the "other" Stug, the C/D.

Looks like I would get the Tamiya A/B #35281 if anyone wants to sell me theirs.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 03:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, Alan. Turns out I have the "other" Stug, the C/D.

Looks like I would get the Tamiya A/B #35281 if anyone wants to sell me theirs.

HI, Bill- Let me check my inventory; I MAY still have an un-built example of TAMIYA's #35281. No, I don't own a Hobby Shop, LOL! I'll let you know, either way. $20.00 + shipping, IF I have it. I use PayPal, THANKS...
 _GOTOTOP