_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Vehicle Painting
armyfiremn
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 11:58 AM UTC
What's The Best Way To Repaint A Vehicle?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 04:44 PM UTC
My first vehicles, I stripped with caustic soda/water mixture and it stripped down almost 100%. Then it was just repaint as you wish again. I used a 40%caustic soda/60%water mixture. Maybe make it a bit more diluted as too much caustic soda will cause too much heating in the chemical reaction and warp the thinner parts of your model. Add a little at a time and try removing the paint with a tooth brush after 1 hour. If it strips slowly, steep again. If it doesnt strip, add a little more caustic and steep again.
Wear gloves and be careful, this stuff can cause severe irriatation and burns if it comes into contact with your skin, but mainly harmless to plastic. It workjed for me and I was happy enough to know that I could use this method again.
Armour66
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 05:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What's The Best Way To Repaint A Vehicle?

Well, it depends on what you have used first. Enamels or Acrylics?

In the past, when I used enamels, I would take the model apart in sub-assemblies (if possible) and put the pieces in a large ziplock bag. I would spray in a generous amount of easy-off oven cleaner and let it sit for a day or two. AT trhis point you should be able to take a firm toothbrush to it and the paint should come off.

Acryilics?.....well i have not repainted any yet, so I would like to know the answer to that one.

ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 09:16 PM UTC
For acrylics I found using powder soap works for striping the paint, just put the model in a water + powder soap solution and let it overnight, them brush it under clear water using a tooth brush, take care of small details...
HTH
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 02:47 AM UTC
Just a thought, would it be easier to just re-prime the thing than strip the paint?
armyfiremn
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 90 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 09:17 AM UTC
that's what i was thinking re prime it and go from there. but i'll give everyone's suggestion a try and see what happens.
oraora
Visit this Community
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 216 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 10:10 PM UTC
for arcylis, i have tried 'spirit' or methanol. This works well with me. I will just apply an amount on a piece of rag then gently rub it to the surface of the model. The paint goes off relatively well.. U could also us e the Tamiya's thinner for a price, but don use the Ordinary Thinner from bottles u get in any shop as these will melt of the plastics.. Good luck!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 04:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a thought, would it be easier to just re-prime the thing than strip the paint?

You could but, you'ld be taking a risk of burying the fine details under the added paint. IMHO I think it's best to strip the old paint off first.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 04:23 AM UTC
Reading about all the chemicals makes me wanna wear a ABC suit doing this.

How a bout buying a new kit, or is this a silly thought ?
 _GOTOTOP