_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Wehrmacht Litzen - Hand-Painting
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2016 - 04:44 AM UTC
Walk with me down Memory Lane?

Recently, while scrounging around moving boxes in search of long lost models to unpack after years of travel, I found this box of random model parts, pieces and components. This is the equivalent of a time capsule of my modeling prowess. While I have occasionally examined some of these boxes since first packing them, several of my models have not seen the light of day since August 1990!

"Back in the day" I had the eyesight and steadiness of hand to paint detail beyond my reference material. I used to really enjoy painting figures. Especially Wehrmacht subjects. Especially Litzen and other detail. Here are two Tamiya figures from their machine gun group set. My model history spreadsheet records that I built this (second) set in June 1983.

I tried to freehand the Litzen including the Dopplelitze (The parallel columns), Mittelstreife (The wide stripe in the center of the two parallel Dopplelitze), and the pupil-searing Litzenspiegel - the center woven lines or “lights” running down the middle of each of the Dopplelitze.

Eight were painted between these two figures and I was not very successful. If Tamiya figures of the day had better molding, I think the Litzen would look better.

As much fun as it is to inspect my ability of the era, I enjoy being reunited with the choice - and lack thereof - of model paints of the day. I am 99% certain that the Feld Grau is from the Pactra International Colors uniform set, while the dark green of the collars and shoulder straps are Pactra X-5 Leaf Green. (I still love that color.)

Here's a good article about LITZEN
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 04:30 AM UTC
I found the gunner:

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 08:38 PM UTC
you were doing better than most of us were back 35 years ago !
I have come to realize that carving the raised detail off and sanding the collar smooth works better for me with painting stuff like this.
J
 _GOTOTOP