_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Customscale: Suicide Rocket V1 Conversion
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 04:17 PM UTC

Customscale released a new kit in 1/35 scale, a conversion for Bronco's V1 turning it into a manned rocket.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 07:40 PM UTC
Was it planned as a man-guided bomb? I thought they used the piloted version to test the aerodynamics etc during development, before replacing the test-pilot with a bomb and gyro once they knew it could fly to target.
slug955
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 08:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Was it planned as a man-guided bomb? I thought they used the piloted version to test the aerodynamics etc during development, before replacing the test-pilot with a bomb and gyro once they knew it could fly to target.

It was flown by Hannah Reich as a test plane. They were losing so many test vehicles they had to have a human test pilot to see what was going wrong. Turned out the gyro was the problem.
edklingon
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
KitMaker: 194 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 09:21 PM UTC
So it's not a 'suicide bomb' version, only a evaluation version with a pilot?
slug955
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 10:14 PM UTC
Yes. Just a test vehicle. BUT any kind of plane COULD be used for suicide missions if the pilot is daft enough.
Scottosaurus
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 11:49 PM UTC
Reichenberg IV was an attack weapon. In theory it wasn't a suicide weapon because the pilot was supposed to bail out once the aircraft was aimed at its target. However, the cockpit of this thing is ridiculously cramped (I looked inside one being restored at the Canadian War Museum a few years ago), so it's quite likely the pilot would ride it into its target.
Chaffee
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 11:43 PM UTC
since some months there is an original Reichenberg on exhibition in the Militaermuseum Full, Switzerland.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 06:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Reichenberg IV was an attack weapon. In theory it wasn't a suicide weapon because the pilot was supposed to bail out once the aircraft was aimed at its target. However, the cockpit of this thing is ridiculously cramped (I looked inside one being restored at the Canadian War Museum a few years ago), so it's quite likely the pilot would ride it into its target.

That and bailing out would mean leaving the cockpit directly in front of the jet intake.. not the same as a modern fighter jet intake, but still..
Yankasippi
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 09:29 PM UTC
IS this not a conversion kit to something that is already available as a plastic kit? I had a good bit of trouble finding a plain ole V1 in plastic this year, everyone was out of it and I ended up buying from an individual. But manned versions were plentiful. Just saying... perhaps this one is greatly better than the plastic version.
 _GOTOTOP