_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Dragon: StuG.III Ausf.E
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 04:22 PM UTC

Dragon Models has announced a kit that has caught my attention, a smart kit offering of a StuG.III Ausf.E in 1/35th scale. Part of what has caught my attention is the interior and gun breech detail provided. On the down side for many will be the DS tracks.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 04:30 PM UTC
Very nice,long awaited for many.More choice now with this and the Bronco kit.Stug III kit #6633 also had a detailed breech and some interior parts including radios,but although I can't tell this looks more extensive.

But those skinny little Panzer III and IV DS tracks look really bad to me
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 05:23 PM UTC
Very nice ammo racks. Hopefully they will do the same with newer runs of their Stug III G's. etc...
hanb7323
Visit this Community
Daejeon, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 05:36 PM UTC
Nice!!!!
ULIX-VM
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
KitMaker: 834 posts
Armorama: 649 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 02:23 AM UTC
this type of model i wait long enough.
MKokoszki
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 03:09 AM UTC
Nice, but I wish that they would go back to the Magic Track.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 07:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I do too, but I don't think that that will ever happen- "Magic Tracks" are more expensive to manufacture than those "DS" Tracks. DRAGON, nor ANY other model manufacturer, don't like to lose money... If you like "Indy-links", then you'll have to bite the bullet with the rest of us, and buy aftermarket Track sets... Or, buy the BRONCO kit instead...
johhar
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 447 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 11:46 PM UTC
Probably right that they'll never go back to indy links and it will be DS from now on. They don't quite have the market to themselves anymore, but their position is strong enough to do it. Competition is coming and some modelers, like myself, won't buy kits with DS. Also, IMHO, this kit could and should have been done with this detail 5-10 years ago, and Bronco, MiniArt, et al. are worth waiting for.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 04:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I do too, but I don't think that that will ever happen- "Magic Tracks" are more expensive to manufacture than those "DS" Tracks. DRAGON, nor ANY other model manufacturer, don't like to lose money... If you like "Indy-links", then you'll have to bite the bullet with the rest of us, and buy aftermarket Track sets... Or, buy the BRONCO kit instead...

If it's expensive to bundle in the kit, why not offer Magic Track as option.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Probably right that they'll never go back to indy links and it will be DS from now on. They don't quite have the market to themselves anymore, but their position is strong enough to do it. Competition is coming and some modelers, like myself, won't buy kits with DS. Also, IMHO, this kit could and should have been done with this detail 5-10 years ago, and Bronco, MiniArt, et al. are worth waiting for.

In defense of "DS" Tracks, I personally haven't had bad luck with them disintegrating on me, even over 10 years time. I've even successfully managed to re-create "Track-sag" on several of my Tiger Is and 1 Panther with "DS" Tracks- I coated the "inside" upper length of Tracks with cyano-glue, and placed a weighted "form" to get the "DS" Tracks to replicate the "Track-sag" seen on WWII German Tanks. So far, they're still OK. HOWEVER- I much prefer "Magic Tracks" for any AFV or Soft-skin where there is evidence of even the slightest "Track-sag". So mostly, I resort to aftermarket "Indy-link" Track sets when required. My DRAGON Shermans are still OK with their "DS" Tracks, for the present.

PS- Guys- Keep your eyes on MINIART and BRONCO- Also from MENG, TACO (TAKOM ) and others- I'm sure that we'll be seeing more great WWII stuff from them, hopefully the subjects that used to make BIG MONEY for DRAGON in years past...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 05:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Because JUST including "DS" Tracks is cheaper...
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 05:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Because JUST including "DS" Tracks is cheaper...

I get that. What I meant to say was why not offer it separately as an AM option. Can't compete
newtonk
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 05:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

PS- Guys- Keep your eyes on MINIART and BRONCO- Also from MENG, TACO (TAKOM ) and others- I'm sure that we'll be seeing more great WWII stuff from them, hopefully the subjects that used to make BIG MONEY for DRAGON in years past...

For my money, I'd rather see new kits of new (to the market) subjects from these manufacturers (not new to the maker), rather than yet more kits of the same subject. For an example, maybe the Panzer IV assault ladder? Or, being reckless here, a Fa 223 helicopter in 1/35. Or even that DFS230 glider from Bronco?! But getting back on track, so to speak, to the tread topic, I'll wait for Bronco's offering before committing to buying this one.

Kylie
And some of those mentioned manufacturers could do modern subject and still be on a win
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

For my money, I'd rather see new kits of new (to the market) subjects from these manufacturers (not new to the maker), rather than yet more kits of the same subject. For an example, maybe the Panzer IV assault ladder? Or, being reckless here, a Fa 223 helicopter in 1/35. Or even that DFS230 glider from Bronco?! But getting back on track, so to speak, to the tread topic, I'll wait for Bronco's offering before committing to buying this one.

Kylie
And some of those mentioned manufacturers could do modern subject and still be on a win

ALL TRUE! However, if MINIART, BRONCO and the other new kids on the block are ever going to be doing their own versions of those Shermans, Stuarts, Lee/Grants, Tigers, Panthers, et al, INCLUDING Interiors and Indy-links, (You know, the DRAGON kits that we've been griping about because of those detested "DS" Tracks, Opaque Light Lenses, etc, etc), don't you think that there would be BOATLOADS of modellers lining up to buy them?

I don't see anyone griping about the ASUKA/TASCA Shermans because they contain VINYL Tracks- I'd like to see ASUKA dump the vinyl tracks that they put in their Sherman kits, and I for one, would be HAPPY to pay a little bit more for these kits if they had Indy-links, instead!
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 05:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I get that. What I meant to say was why not offer it separately as an AM option. Can't compete

I see what you're saying. The way Tamiya offers separate links for sale for some of their kits, like the Panther they put out a little while ago.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I see what you're saying. The way Tamiya offers separate links for sale for some of their kits, like the Panther they put out a little while ago.

Dragon did offer their magic track sets seperate once, as part of their deficit Cyber-Hobby line, but I was only a single production run that sold out in no time
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 02:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Dragon did offer their magic track sets seperate once, as part of their deficit Cyber-Hobby line, but I was only a single production run that sold out in no time

CYBERHOBBY also offered several beautiful "early", "mid" and "late" VVSS Suspension sets for the M3 and M4 Medium Tanks, until they ran out. At least ASUKA offers VVSS Suspension sets for Shermaholics... Of course, there are numerous resin sets out there, made available by some very reputable A/M manufacturers...
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 10:18 AM UTC
Hobby Easy now has it on pre-order. It's heading caught my eye:

"StuG.III Ausf.E (1st batch with bonus Magic Tracks)"

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/cf62i8f9aqym6usso2an.html

_GOTOTOP