_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Dragon: Bergepanzer Tiger I
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 04:42 PM UTC

Dragon has officially announced their version of the famous 508 sPzAbt "Bergetiger" -or whatever it was.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
james-dean
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:38 PM UTC
wow they use new 6700 zimmerit part for this model. i hope they upgrade their 6383 tiger late kit also new tooled zimmerit part.
maxcyprus
Visit this Community
Kaliningrad, Russia
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:46 PM UTC
Hey! Dragon people..may be you can do something new??
Unreality
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 145 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:47 PM UTC
So I guess the question is: do you want zimmerit or do you want workable track links?
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 07:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Uh, where have they done a Bergepanzer version before?

Honestly, some of y'all make me shake my head in wonder. German armor not your thing? Bully. But for those of us who like German subjects, this strikes me a a very innovative use of their existing molds.

Which helps keep companies in business, 'cause everyone is always complaining about how expensive kits have gotten.

Give it a rest, guys. If it's not your cup of tea, don't drink it.
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 07:29 PM UTC
no more 1/34th military figure.........
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 07:31 PM UTC
or may be a pre-war french 194mm SPG
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 08:16 PM UTC
Looks like a winner. They paid attention to what was lacking in the RF kit and included it. Just like the Afrika Tiger.

And there's that Platz connection again. Seems the Girls und Panzer license paid off. Now when will we see the Girls und Panzer Der Film T28?

Or use the movie as a reason to tool a Centurion mark I.
TigerFan182
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 08:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

wow they use new 6700 zimmerit part for this model. i hope they upgrade their 6383 tiger late kit also new tooled zimmerit part.

I'm hoping they will eventually do just that. The zimmerit on 6700 is very well done in my opinion, much better than 6383.

Not particularly interested in the Bergetiger but it's nice to the magic tracks and extra PE parts. Should be a pretty good kit.
jps
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 09:51 PM UTC
If it's not your cup of tea, don't drink it. Well said.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 10:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dragon has officially announced their version of the famous 508 sPzAbt "Bergetiger" -or whatever it was.

Read the Full News Story

Thanks!

Not being a big Tiger fan, I'll display my ignorance of such things by asking these few questions, just because I'm curious:

1) Didn't CMK (CZECH MODEL KITS, no relation to the present-day CZECH MODEL, which specializes in limited-run 1/48 Aircraft), market a 1/35 "Bergetiger" about 20 years ago using the ITALERI Tiger I as a base kit? (RE-BOX!!!)

2) I'm not sure on this, but did CMK manufacture their "Bergetiger" with Zimmerit molded onto the pertinent parts?

3) Was this particular kit one of the earlier "re-box" kits marketed way back when, before "re-boxing" became popular between different model manufacturers? I've seen the CMK/ITALERI "Bergetiger" being sold on ebay both privately and thru regular vendors from time to time, and I've always wondered where the original came from... If I'm not mistaken, ACADEMY has "re-boxed" the old CMK Pz.Kpfw.35(t) "Command Version" kit..?

4) Did the original CMK "Bergetiger" include Zimmerit, as the ITALERI kit still does..? Or did ITALERI do some finagling with some of their molds to include this important detail in their version of this vehicle, AND in some of their "standard" Tiger I kits..?

In the dark recesses of my vast collection of un-built kits, I THINK I may even have bought the ITALERI "Bergetiger" kit eons ago. I have an ITALERI/REVELL "Sturmtiger" kit, and I'm not really impressed with the way the Zimmerit in that kit was executed. I HAD an un-built TAMIYA "Sturmtiger" kit with a CAVALIER Zimmerit set, ABER PE, FRIUL Tracks, and an ARMORSCALE(?) resin Barrel and Mantlet Conversion set- I sold the whole shebang to a "Tiger-fan" buddy of mine some years ago- Told you I wasn't a big Tiger fan...

And lastly,

5) Was the name "Bergetiger" ever officially assigned to this vehicle-type by the Germans? Since this vehicle was supposed to be a "Demolition Charge Layer", why wouldn't it have been designated as such..?

"Sprengladungsfahrzeug Tiger I Sd.Kfz.Wasistdaswetterheute?", possibly..?

Thanks for bearing with me on this line of questioning...

PS- Just a comment regarding "Bergetiger Is: Years ago, CMK and ITALERI, not much joy there. A few weeks ago, RYE FIELD's take on the subject, and now, DRAGON. Who's going to be next in jumping on the "Bergetiger-Bandwagon.." TRUMPETER? TAKOM? How about BRONCO or MENG..? AFV CLUB..?

Looks like we may be in for another "free-for-all", like what happened fairly recently with the sudden deluge of M1A1/A2 "TUSK I & II" spate of kits... The manufacturers COULD have done a brand-new kit of something a bit more common, if there had to be yet another Tiger; say an all-new, up-to-date "Sturmtiger"..?

Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 10:37 PM UTC
I am keeping this updated;

http://tiger1.info/models/products-page/DR6850
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 10:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I went ahead and read this little article- A paraphrase, if you will: "abandoned because of Engine Trouble(?)... Typical large WWII German "Tank Behavior"...

Xenomorphium
Visit this Community
Gyor-Moson-Sopron, Hungary
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 12:11 AM UTC
Finally they include a jig?
AOS
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 01:23 AM UTC
If I can get this kit for a reasonable price, I will buy it... Normally I am moaning everytime when a Tiger kit was announced (enough is enough), but this one is an exception to me. Recently I sold my old ITALERI "Bergetiger". I will pass the RF kit, because the DML one has Zimmerit, Magic Tracks and pe parts.

Btw: the ACADEMY Pz.Kpfw.35(t) is a completely new mold - a very nice kit! TAM used the old CMK thing.
bilbobee
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 01:45 AM UTC
Today, I will buy the RMF over Dragon and not think twice about it, clearly RMF is the better kit. I've built two of the tiger RMF kits, they are superior to dragon in every way. But let the talking heads speak!!
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But let the talking heads speak!!

Philip, could you explain why I am just a "talking head" while you are, presumably, a full human being?

It's like you're putting me down. You expect me to disagree with you, so you describe me as a "talking head", to devalue me, to discredit what I will say.

David
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 02:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've built two of the tiger RMF kits, they are superior to dragon in every way.

Well, you're right about one thing; I disagree with you.
In fact, I think you're either trolling or deluded.

Superior in EVERY way? Let's take "accuracy". That is one way to compare them.

RMF made several basic accuracy errors in their kits. They got it wrong where Dragon got it right. I have made lists of these errors;

http://tiger1.info/kits.html

I'd like to hear from you, what was your opinion based on?

David

tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 03:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Uh, where have they done a Bergepanzer version before?

Honestly, some of y'all make me shake my head in wonder. German armor not your thing? Bully. But for those of us who like German subjects, this strikes me a a very innovative use of their existing molds.

Which helps keep companies in business, 'cause everyone is always complaining about how expensive kits have gotten.

Give it a rest, guys. If it's not your cup of tea, don't drink it.

+1
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 05:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Read the Full News Story

Thanks!

Not being a big Tiger fan, I'll display my ignorance of such things by asking these few questions, just because I'm curious:

1) Didn't CMK (CZECH MODEL KITS, no relation to the present-day CZECH MODEL, which specializes in limited-run 1/48 Aircraft), market a 1/35 "Bergetiger" about 20 years ago using the ITALERI Tiger I as a base kit? (RE-BOX!!!)

2) I'm not sure on this, but did CMK manufacture their "Bergetiger" with Zimmerit molded onto the pertinent parts?

The CMK Berge Tiger was based on the Tamiya Tiger I. The Italeri Berge Tiger had the zimmerit in add-on plates. Both are better left in the mists of time.
hanb7323
Visit this Community
Daejeon, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 11:30 AM UTC
The main purpose of this vehicle was TANK RECOVERYING. Look at the towing bar. They were usually equipped with recovery vehicle like Famo tractor, Bergepanther and so on. Tiger tank was very big and heavy tank. And fuel efficiency was very very law. Then the function of demolition charge layer was very small function of this vehicle. Why Germany made this vehicle mainly to lay down a demolition charge? To protect vehicle and crew from the blowing of demolition? No it could not protect crew handling the crane outside of the vehicle safely.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 12:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No it could not protect crew handling the crane outside of the vehicle safely.

They could place a demolition charge using the crane, then go inside the vehicle, then detonate it. Or drive away.

Quoted Text

Why Germany made this vehicle mainly to lay down a demolition charge?

This vehicle was converted in the field from a damaged Tiger. It was not designed in Germany and there was no choice of chassis.

David
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 05:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Read the Full News Story

Thanks!

The CMK Berge Tiger was based on the Tamiya Tiger I. The Italeri Berge Tiger had the zimmerit in add-on plates. Both are better left in the mists of time.

Thanks for clarifying!

AGREE, I'd rather have the DRAGON Tiger Is over any other, not that I need any more of them...
 _GOTOTOP