_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
News
ICM: Japanese Infantry
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 10:22 PM UTC

ICM informs us that they are working on a set of Japanese WWII figures.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 11:10 PM UTC
ICM keeps putting out "most-wanted" subjects for me. Those poses are great and will compliment my MasterBox Tarawa set.
bilbobee
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 11:37 PM UTC
Yes this kit is so welcome, I agree the poses create a lot of action. pointing of the sabre. thanks ICM
leviman
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 12:26 AM UTC
Nice figures. Poses are much better than the rather wooden WW2 German set.
Me109G10
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 107 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 12:27 AM UTC
YES YES YEs!!! IJA and IJN fighting figure are so needed!!! I will buy a bunch. I hope someday there will be MG (Woodpecker) and Mortars available! and regular figures targeting via iron sights.
Me109G10
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 107 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 12:30 AM UTC
I really really hope that the market will give us figure sets of different manufacturers since everyone is focusing on different poses and themes. As written before: Japanese Figures are soooo welcome ( I dont need anymore tankers, please.)
For example some sniper for the palm trees in camoflage
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Read the Full News Story

Thanks!

YES! We can always use more WWII Japanese Infantry!

Gee! There's even a POINTING (with his Samurai Sword) JAPANESE OFFICER!!!
Greenmachine
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 02:23 AM UTC
This will be a much anticipated set.
ULIX-VM
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
KitMaker: 834 posts
Armorama: 649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 02:24 AM UTC
this kit is maybe good . but tamiya release one kit several years ago.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, Ulises, maybe you could give us a comparison review between the two sets. Might as well include the two sets by Masterbox and a questionable set from Dragon.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

TAMIYA's Japanese Infantry set was first released back in the early-mid 1970s...

These ICM Japanese figures are most welcome, but IMO, the MASTER BOX and FINE MOLDS Japanese Infantry sets are better; DRAGON's Japanese Infantry sets fall somewhere in-between the TAMIYA and the MASTER BOX and FINE MOLDS Japanese Infantry sets in quality...

Still, I'm glad to see this new set- Improving them shouldn't be very difficult...
Monsoon
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 05:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

TAMIYA's Japanese Infantry set was first released back in the early-mid 1970s...

These ICM Japanese figures are most welcome, but IMO, the MASTER BOX and FINE MOLDS Japanese Infantry sets are better; DRAGON's Japanese Infantry sets fall somewhere in-between the TAMIYA and the MASTER BOX and FINE MOLDS Japanese Infantry sets in quality...

Still, I'm glad to see this new set- Improving them shouldn't be very difficult...

Well, actually, he's right. Tamiya did release a IJA set a few years ago, but it's just officers around a table doing a briefing.

Their Infantry set, as you said, is from the 1970s or so.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 06:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Read the Full News Story

Thanks!

YES! We can always use more WWII Japanese Infantry!

Gee! There's even a POINTING (with his Samurai Sword) JAPANESE OFFICER!!!

Mission focused training. The leader points to keep the other soldiers focused on the objective. The Germans were rigid with the one in four, the Japanese went with one in twelve, usually the guy with a sword as that was a traditional Japanese method of pointing.
wowcool
Visit this Community
Solomon Islands
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 11:12 AM UTC
Indeed this is a welcome set but I'm honestly quite underwhelmed.

While old, I believe Tamiya's Japanese infantry set from the 70's were already well animated and had better variety in weapons and gear. What sets ICM's new figures apart is the man throwing a grenade.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 04:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Indeed this is a welcome set but I'm honestly quite underwhelmed.

While old, I believe Tamiya's Japanese infantry set from the 70's were already well animated and had better variety in weapons and gear. What sets ICM's new figures apart is the man throwing a grenade.

I have NO problem with the older TAMIYA Japanese Infantry set; there ARE however, some inaccuracies in this set where the figures' equipment is concerned. Their details are a little bit on the "soft" side, but we're talking about a plastic figure set that is now about 42-43 years old! The molds have held up remarkably well, considering their age.

In all fairness to "1970s technology", I suggest a look at the old 54mm HISTOREX Figurines, even though they were just slightly larger in scale. Their features and details were superbly molded, even by TODAY'S exacting standards. I still buy them whenever I can afford them!!!
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 04:46 PM UTC
Hard to tell from those photos, but the faces look too occidental to me. Can't quite point my finger on it--the noses may have a lot to do with it--but they just don't look Japanese to me. Otherwise, they appear to be nicely sculpted.

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 06:13 PM UTC
Given that ICM figures are generally bigger I wonder how these will measure up
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 06:22 PM UTC
These look nice and I will give them a try when they are released. They would blend in well with the old Tamiya set, though I don't need two guys pointing swords. I have some Fine Molds figures, which are very nice and have good accessory detail, and a Modelkasten set, which are also good. If there was better variety of figures, and matching Allied and Guerilla counterparts, I think there would be more success with these figures overall. At least ICM are making the effort!
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 12:39 AM UTC
I've looked for 1/35 Japanese soldiers on eBay before. but i barely found much of a variety of kits. this looks like a good kit of figures in action.
DKdent
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 182 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope someday there will be MG (Woodpecker) and Mortars available!

Japanese Machine Guns are available in 1/35 in Resin and Plastic aswell. Manufacturers: RPM, Plus Models, Pit Road.

Regards

Dennis
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 05:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I hope someday there will be MG (Woodpecker) and Mortars available!

Japanese Machine Guns are available in 1/35 in Resin and Plastic aswell. Manufacturers: RPM, Plus Models, Pit Road.

Regards

Dennis

Thank You, Dennis! I was just about to add another post stating EXACTLY what you wrote, but you beat me to it!

I should add that VERLINDEN also makes several Japanese figures, plus "casualties".

A long time has passed since I last saw the now-defunct WARRIORS "BANZAI!!!" (4) figures set; the sculpting, facial expressions, and poses were excellent! WARRIORS also made a "anti-tank/suicide" Japanese Infantryman, who was posed laying on the ground, about to "destroy" any given WWII US Tank, (an M4A2 was illustrated on the box top), with a "mine" on the end of a pole. He too, was sculpted to perfection...

I think that it's high time that some of the other resin figure manufacturers paid some attention to Japan's warriors of WWII...
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 - 11:31 PM UTC
These look to be quite useful. I've recently managed to pick up a few sets of the first Dragon Jap infantry for a Pacific dio I'm planning ,which are yards better than their last effort. These should fit in nicely with those. It's a shame that there's the obligatory officer pointing with his sword in here. It's a nice figure but it means one less rifleman. It would be nice if they did the same as Bronco have done with their British Paras and release two boxes of figures in action poses. As there are so few Japanese figures on the market they could really go for it. The MB ones are good but they're all charging. We could use some in firing positions as I don't believe that Japan's military success was all due to Banzai charges lol. They seem to be one combatant that is sadly ignored. Quite bizarre when you consider that Japan was one of the main belligerents and had quite an alarming reputation on and off the battlefield. I've been trying in vain to get hold of the Pit Roads MG team and other stuff so if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful. I seem to have a ton of US marines but noone for them to shoot at!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 05:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've looked for 1/35 Japanese soldiers on eBay before. but i barely found much of a variety of kits. this looks like a good kit of figures in action.

Hi, Hyder!

Have you tried ebay lately? This morning, I found a nice variety of WWII Japanese stuff in 1/35...

There are several very nice Japanese WWII Infantry and Artillery sets that FINE MOLDS makes:

FM37- Japanese Infantry (6) Figures (These are posed as 6 individuals in a "relaxed" marching mode)

FM38- IJA Japanese Artillery (4) Figures w/ Type 41 75mm Mountain Gun, (In "firing" mode) Nicely posed!

FM38- IJA Japanese Artillery (4) Figures w/ Type 41 75mm Mountain Gun, (These are very realistically posed pulling their Gun, as if over rough terrain) Very nice animated poses!

PIT ROAD also makes some very nice kits:

"Imperial Japanese Army" Type 92 Heavy Machine Gun (3) Figures (This is the "Woodpecker" MG, with a variable-height MG Mount, and the figures are very nicely posed in animated positions!)- Sorry, I don't have a Stock # for this set

G37- IJA Type 97 Motorcycle with Side Car (2) Figures- (Very nicely posed "In Action"- Driver is bent over his Handle Bar, as if going "high speed", with the MG Gunner bent over his weapon, "firing"- Nice set!

G40- IJA Type 90 75mm Field Gun- Very Nice, with Crew in "firing positions"!

Of course, FINE MOLDS also makes a nice variety of 1/35 WWII Japanese Tanks and Tank Destroyers, Tank Crew figures and Infantry "At Rest" sets, plus:

FM30- Type 94 6-Wheel Truck, with Hard Top Cab

FM31- Type 94 6-Wheel Truck, with Canvas Top Cab.

If you go on ebay, just type in "1/35 WWII Japanese", and you should be able to find these kits and a lot of other 1/35 WWII Japanese subjects, mostly Tanks, i.e, the DRAGON HA-GO Type 95 Light Tanks, (KA-MI) Imperial Japanese Navy Type 2 Light Tank 6678 (without Floats) and their 6712 kit of the same tank WITH Floats, TAMIYA's Type 97 CHI-HA, Type 97 SHINHOTO CHI-HA Medium Tanks, HO-NI Tank Destroyer, plus the FINE MOLDS kits of lesser-known Japanese WWII armor...
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 06:50 PM UTC
Dennis, do you know of anywhere that actually stocks the Fine Moulds or Pit Road figures and artillery. There's a few bits I wouldn't mind picking up. I've had a look on ebay but pricewise they're all over the place so you can't tell if it's a fair price or not once you get nto the postage angle so it's obviously better from a shop as you can combine postage rather than buy off three seperate people. There was a manufacturer years ago that did a set of dead Japs amongst others but I forget the name of the company. They did some nice WW1 figures as well which makes me remember them as it was before ICM etc started releasing them.
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 02:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi, Hyder!

Have you tried ebay lately? This morning, I found a nice variety of WWII Japanese stuff in 1/35...

There are several very nice Japanese WWII Infantry and Artillery sets that FINE MOLDS makes:

FM37- Japanese Infantry (6) Figures (These are posed as 6 individuals in a "relaxed" marching mode)

FM38- IJA Japanese Artillery (4) Figures w/ Type 41 75mm Mountain Gun, (In "firing" mode) Nicely posed!

FM38- IJA Japanese Artillery (4) Figures w/ Type 41 75mm Mountain Gun, (These are very realistically posed pulling their Gun, as if over rough terrain) Very nice animated poses!

PIT ROAD also makes some very nice kits:

"Imperial Japanese Army" Type 92 Heavy Machine Gun (3) Figures (This is the "Woodpecker" MG, with a variable-height MG Mount, and the figures are very nicely posed in animated positions!)- Sorry, I don't have a Stock # for this set

G37- IJA Type 97 Motorcycle with Side Car (2) Figures- (Very nicely posed "In Action"- Driver is bent over his Handle Bar, as if going "high speed", with the MG Gunner bent over his weapon, "firing"- Nice set!

G40- IJA Type 90 75mm Field Gun- Very Nice, with Crew in "firing positions"!

Of course, FINE MOLDS also makes a nice variety of 1/35 WWII Japanese Tanks and Tank Destroyers, Tank Crew figures and Infantry "At Rest" sets, plus:

FM30- Type 94 6-Wheel Truck, with Hard Top Cab

FM31- Type 94 6-Wheel Truck, with Canvas Top Cab.

If you go on ebay, just type in "1/35 WWII Japanese", and you should be able to find these kits and a lot of other 1/35 WWII Japanese subjects, mostly Tanks, i.e, the DRAGON HA-GO Type 95 Light Tanks, (KA-MI) Imperial Japanese Navy Type 2 Light Tank 6678 (without Floats) and their 6712 kit of the same tank WITH Floats, TAMIYA's Type 97 CHI-HA, Type 97 SHINHOTO CHI-HA Medium Tanks, HO-NI Tank Destroyer, plus the FINE MOLDS kits of lesser-known Japanese WWII armor...

Your right , there are some but not easy to find !
 _GOTOTOP