_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Updating old picture links?
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 04:31 AM UTC
I was forced off of comcast as an ISP last year and had to sign up with another provider. As a result, any past pictures pointing to my old site now don't work

So my question is, is there any way of updating those old links to point to the new site?

I'm guessing I am not the only one as many past posts have broken links. I guess the external links are to save on space, but that has the unfortunate effect of invalidating many older entries...

Anyway, just thought I'd ask!
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 07:45 PM UTC
Ah, the essential weakness of the internet! Any time an image is moved to a new folder (or new ISP) this happens. We cannot go back and edit all our old posts anymore - this was disabled a while ago after one stroppy ex-member went back and deleted all his old posts. So the only way would be if Jim S decided to write a program to trawl through the threads database and do a swap. But that assumes all your images are in exactly the same folder structure (including spellings!) on the new server, so that only the top-level domain needed changed. It could be done (in theory), but only if it is a 100% exact match, and only if Jim thinks it is worth the effort!

That's why things get published as Reviews or Features even if they already appeared as blogs. The images for these articles are held on the Kitmaker servers, so are less likely to move anytime soon...
TankManNick
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah, the essential weakness of the internet! Any time an image is moved to a new folder (or new ISP) this happens. We cannot go back and edit all our old posts anymore - this was disabled a while ago after one stroppy ex-member went back and deleted all his old posts. So the only way would be if Jim S decided to write a program to trawl through the threads database and do a swap. But that assumes all your images are in exactly the same folder structure (including spellings!) on the new server, so that only the top-level domain needed changed. It could be done (in theory), but only if it is a 100% exact match, and only if Jim thinks it is worth the effort!

That's why things get published as Reviews or Features even if they already appeared as blogs. The images for these articles are held on the Kitmaker servers, so are less likely to move anytime soon...

Yeah kinda figured that would be the case. The idea that nothing ever dies on the internet is so obviously not true!

I see you are in East Anglia - fun fact - I attended UEA waaay back in the day!
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 10:52 PM UTC
Are you sure about not being able to edit old posts? Is there a cut-off date, as I am pretty sure I have been able to edit my old posts.

However, if you have a lot of posts it would not be much fun going back to replace all those old links.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 11:08 PM UTC
As a last resort you could reply to your own post with all the new images...
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Are you sure about not being able to edit old posts? Is there a cut-off date, as I am pretty sure I have been able to edit my old posts.

However, if you have a lot of posts it would not be much fun going back to replace all those old links.

That's a good question! I know it was put in place a couple years ago, with a short (1 hour?) window of opportunity to edit posts, but I just looked at some of my old ones and I still get the "EDIT" button. But that may just be a Staffer's perk... (Never needed to know before, so never checked up!)

Nick, how'd you get from UEA to California? (Probably as convoluted as my life journey from New York to Barking, Essex, I guess. )
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 03:15 AM UTC
The edit and delete buttons go away after 10 minutes.

Moderators could go back and edit uses' old posts, but it really is too much to ask.

I think adding a new post to an old thread with the new image links would be a nice gesture.

TankManNick
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 09:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nick, how'd you get from UEA to California? (Probably as convoluted as my life journey from New York to Barking, Essex, I guess. )

UEA = University of East Anglia for those who don't know!

UEA->Programming job @EMI->Whitbreads->Traveling in France and Italy->Waitrose->Ampex-> "temporary 3 month assignment in California"

..and well the temp job became perm job and I've been 'stuck' here ever since!

Eventually dug all my old models out of Mum's attic in UK and brought 'em over to CA - and started up again!
TankManNick
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 09:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As a last resort you could reply to your own post with all the new images...

Actually a good idea - at least for the ones I can remember!
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 04:24 PM UTC
On your profile page there is a link to a list of your forum posts and articles, the subject should give you a clue of whether you need to update it or not.

Hope this helps!
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 05:02 PM UTC
I suppose another option would be to post pics in the Kitmaker Gallery and pay the miniscule subscriber's fee in order to obtain an obscene amount of storage space. just sayin'...

_GOTOTOP