_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Dragon: T95 Super Heavy Tank
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2016 - 01:29 PM UTC

On the base of the T28, Dragon will release in December a fictional variant with a 155mm gun.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2016 - 07:27 PM UTC
Gee, US paper panzers.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2016 - 08:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gee, US paper panzers.

AGREE!

However, there are A LOT of WOT-fans out there- For them, the "Paper-Panzer"-fans, AND the "1946-to-whenever"-fans, "AT LAST", they have something that they can "battle" each other with, as far as some gargantuan US imaginary Tank-cum-Assault Gun is concerned. If those guys are happy with it, good for them!!!

I wouldn't spend the money on it personally, except MAYBE to "improve" the Lower Hull and Suspension on that junky T28 that I have moldering in my inventory, but that isn't very likely for me, based on the prices of models in general these days...

In my OWN opinion, I think DRAGON could have over-hauled their already-existing T28 kit, or devoted their attention elsewhere- They CERTAINLY have enough older kits that could stand improvement and/or complete re-tooling, but then, that's just me. I'm certainly not going to denigrate the "WOT/"Paper-Panzer"-fans/1946-to-whenever"-crowd, because I think that each and every modeller has the right to choose whichever genre he or she chooses to spend their time and money on...

So, "run with it" and enjoy!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2016 - 10:11 PM UTC
Having seen the real thing at Knox this seems like a folly but to each his own.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2016 - 10:38 PM UTC
It's another World of Tanks thing. Hey if it helps grow the hobby population I am okay with it.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2016 - 10:42 PM UTC
I totally agree!

But, maybe educate the potential modeler that it IS fictional, never built and maybe give credit to it's origin as a WOT creation.

Jeff
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 12:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Having seen the real thing at Knox this seems like a folly but to each his own.

Hi, Mike!

Yeah, but the real T95 was armed with a "105"-

This THING is supposed to be armed with a "155", and a different Main Gun Mantlet...

I AM NOT and WILL NOT get into a donnybrook with anyone over a fictitious vehicle...
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 12:22 AM UTC
As I say; "to each his own."

The cash register will tell if this is a kit worth doing.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 03:05 AM UTC
I wouldn't mind one, or a T28 in 1/72.
bilbobee
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 05:53 AM UTC
The QUestion is why...dragon is going in this direction!
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 11:10 AM UTC
An immediate post-war tank in 1970s MERDC - who can resist! Go on, smite those wimpy Is-3s! But yes, if it grows the hobby, I'm all for it.
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 11:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Philip,

WOT has a huge following worldwide. Many are inspired into modeling by the games they play, and visa-versa. Perhaps many of the new releases have been inspired by WOT. It has generated models that probably would otherwise not have been tooled.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 03:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Philip,

WOT has a huge following worldwide. Many are inspired into modeling by the games they play, and visa-versa. Perhaps many of the new releases have been inspired by WOT. It has generated models that probably would otherwise not have been tooled.

I totally agree WOT start a all new generation of AFV modellers and they want the same Tank they use in the game ,Italeri made a deal with WOT now they rebox tiger,panther ecc... with WOT decals and special code for the game and becose the target is young without modelling experience the put in the Box glue and paint,but becose Italeri dont have Paper panzer in catalog leave a good gap in the market open for others companies like Dragon
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 03:19 PM UTC
My dad is an avid WOT participant. Unfortunately, he has no desire to pick up the model hobby. So, if falls on me to build his favorite tanks. I am currently back logged, with three builds for him. However, I'm sure that this will bring new blood; and, perhaps conventional builders. If nothing else, this is something the salty dogs can capitalize on.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 11:32 PM UTC
Maybe use one as the base for a BOLO style diorama/post apocalyptical setting. Looks futuristic enough after all.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's another World of Tanks thing. Hey if it helps grow the hobby population I am okay with it.

What if it doesn't?

KL
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 12:47 AM UTC
I don't think there's any definitive information, yet, as to whether or not WOT, WarThunder and similar games either help or hurt the hobby. But what these games do is increase the exposure of these vehicles to a much larger audience. Some people might be so interested in a certain vehicle that they might say "Hey, I have this vehicle in my virtual garage but I'd really like to build/have a real one too." I actually do see it often on the WOT and World of Warships forums where people start a thread asking about how to break into the hobby or what kit is best to build a certain tank/ship or even showing off their builds. So while there may not be enough definitive information to support an analysis of whether or not these games are helping or hurting the hobby, I can definitely say that they are having a rather positive impact. Like I previously said, they are driving more people into building simply because of this: "I have it, now I want it."
varanusk
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 12:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What if it doesn't?

KL

It's OK as well. Like fantasy figures, Star Wars spaceships, sci-fi robots and so on.

I do not build them but it does not harm me in any way. Glad for whoever likes them.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 01:30 AM UTC
If the WOT version is supposed to be the subject of this release, then they're clearly not doing a good job. The countours of the barrel and muzzle break are well of compared to the in-game model.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 04:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As I say; "to each his own."

The cash register will tell if this is a kit worth doing.

You've got THAT right, for sure!!!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 04:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What if it doesn't?

KL

It's OK as well. Like fantasy figures, Star Wars spaceships, sci-fi robots and so on.

I do not build them but it does not harm me in any way. Glad for whoever likes them.

Hi, Carlos!

I don't bother with WOT Tank kits, either. I'm too busy with modelling the "real stuff" in scale as it is. But, to each his/her own, and whatever makes them happy...

Hi, Tim!

The Main Gun Barrel and Muzzle Brake on this "T95" kind of remind me of the Soviet 152mm Gun/Howitzer(?), (Sorry, I'm not that familiar with Russo-Soviet equipment), with those "side grates" in the Muzzle Brake having been deleted. What do you think?
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 04:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What if it doesn't?

KL

Jim made a conditional statement that he's OK with them if they help plastic modeling. I was wondering what he thought about them if they didn't help modeling.

I seem to recall a thread not too long ago where people were decrying video games for killing the hobby. Now they help it?

Honestly, I pity the guy who has never built a model (or only a few) but who picks this one up. Remember all the suspension parts?

KL
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 06:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What if it doesn't?

KL

Jim made a conditional statement that he's OK with them if they help plastic modeling. I was wondering what he thought about them if they didn't help modeling.

I seem to recall a thread not too long ago where people were decrying video games for killing the hobby. Now they help it?

Honestly, I pity the guy who has never built a model (or only a few) but who picks this one up. Remember all the suspension parts?

KL

OH, GAWD! And all of those Suspension parts are blessed with a wonderfully SLOPPY FIT!!! I'd rather forget 'em! My T28 sits at the bottom of the pile of roughly one-third of my un-built kits, up in my Nephew's attic!!!
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 08:07 PM UTC
It doesn't look like they did anything to the basic kit to improve it, so no thanks. The suspension was poor, the parts didn't fit well, the PE boxes are wretched and there are multiple accuracy issues (both big and small). So, um nope.
 _GOTOTOP