_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Hobby Boss: And Here Comes the Next Vickers Tank
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 06:38 AM UTC

Following this year’s release of its predecessor, HobbyBoss announces its Vickers Medium Tank Mark II.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 01:45 PM UTC
It's a shame that they do not provide an interior with this kit. It's enormous; there would be plenty of space to fill in
basco
Visit this Community
Solothurn, Switzerland
KitMaker: 161 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 02:32 PM UTC
It's great to see such tanks being released now.
trent1961
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 04:07 PM UTC
Exciting news for us Brit fans. Now, can we please have some low cost (plastic?) appropriate British or Commonwealth figures for all this hardware? A nice set of passengers for the Loyd carrier would be good, followed by some for the IBG QL series, or some admin staff for the Dorchester. Then some Brits doing stuff around the camp, like drinking tea and reading papers etc, like we already have thousands of Germans doing.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 04:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Following this year’s release of its predecessor, HobbyBoss announces its Vickers Medium Tank Mark II.

"Announces"? This has been on sale in the USA for around two months.

KL
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 04:21 PM UTC
Although this is way off my usual beat, I might consider getting this kit for old times sake as the tank features heavily in "Britain's Wonderful Fighting Forces", a WW2 propoganda book given me by my late uncle many years ago. The Vickers MkII was of course completely obsolescent by 1939, but the War Office were hardly likely to release details of their latest models. These would still have given a Pz I or PZ II a thrashing though. I believe some were used in North Africa dug in near Mersa Matruh in 1940.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 04:26 PM UTC
@Spongya

Two things why no interior:

1) Does the documentation even exist? Many models are "great candidates" for an interior -- but do photos/documents for something as obscure as this even exist? The designers can't simply fabricate stuff.

2) The market for this kit will be very very small. To add another $30 or so to the cost for a full interior will ensure even less sales. This isn't a Tiger2 or a Sherman tank. It's a boutique subject already.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 04:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Hi, ALL!!!

Looks Good! I think I'll probably get one, as my collection shows the general evolution of Armor & Soft-skins, especially US/Allied vehicles. What's next? Personally, I'd like to see some more "inter-war" vehicles, ranging from post-WWI thru WWII, and then, post-WWII thru the 1960s. A US/British Mk.VIII "Liberty Tank", and up-to-date kits of M46s and M47s immediately come to mind...

Re: Interiors- Speaking for myself, I'd like to see "Interiors" that contain parts that one can see through "open" Hatches, in other words, I'm thinking along "minimalist" lines. I like MINIART's ideas regarding Interiors- One can buy their latest Armor WITH or WITHOUT Interiors, leaving the choice to the modeller, of how far he or she wishes to take their subject...

Much of my Armor is "buttoned-up", with probably half of it showing "open" Hatches... Since most Soft-skins have a great many more features that demand super-detailing, i.e, Cabs, Cargo Beds and the like, kit "Interiors" are moot...
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 05:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

KL

You might want to check your sources, the Mk.I has been, but not the Mk.II. If the Mk.II is available, please provide where.

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 05:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Exciting news for us Brit fans. Now, can we please have some low cost (plastic?) appropriate British or Commonwealth figures for all this hardware? A nice set of passengers for the Loyd carrier would be good, followed by some for the IBG QL series, or some admin staff for the Dorchester. Then some Brits doing stuff around the camp, like drinking tea and reading papers etc, like we already have thousands of Germans doing.

Hi, Stephen!

AGREE- ALL of the above-mentioned vehicles cry out for specifically-dedicated Figures and or Figure sets to enhance them with...

I like your line of thinking...
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 06:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Spongya

Two things why no interior:

1) Does the documentation even exist? Many models are "great candidates" for an interior -- but do photos/documents for something as obscure as this even exist? The designers can't simply fabricate stuff.

I honestly don't know. Being a British design I assume they do have the documentation. Or they could just open up the one in Bovington.

@Spongya
2) The market for this kit will be very very small. To add another $30 or so to the cost for a full interior will ensure even less sales. This isn't a Tiger2 or a Sherman tank. It's a boutique subject already.[/quote]

The market is as small or as large as you create. This is a very convenient excuse for all model companies to keep churning out tigers and shermans, but the last couple of years have shown that there is a considerable interest in "boutique" subjects- see the rise of Hungarian tanks (by Hobby Boss as well), and other obscure stuff people never hoped to see in plastic. A well executed model -with interior thrown in- can draw people even if they are not British armor enthusiasts. (Talking about quality: I hope this is one of Hobby Boss' better model; the Toldi I for example had less detail than a 1/72 kit. And a horrible track.)

As for price: MiniArt demonstrated very convincingly you can put in an enormous amount of plastic for a very friendly price.
The Hobby Boss Csaba goes for 29.99 quids in my LHS, while the MiniArt SU-122 with interior is 44.99... A mere 15 quid difference. One is about 200 parts, the other is over 700.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 06:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

KL

You might want to check your sources, the Mk.I has been, but not the Mk.II. If the Mk.II is available, please provide where.

My bad on the grammar. Will have it double checked the next time around. Cheers.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 08:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

KL

My bad on the grammar. Will have it double checked the next time around. Cheers.

Tat, I have no complaints on your writing. My comment was about this being about the announcement of a kit when the kit has been on sale for quite awhile. It seems to be about six months late.

KL
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 09:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

KL

I know the difference.

Squadron Mail Order has 91 in stock. I believe they had about 150 when it was first offered.

Scale Hobbyist had it but it is now out of stock.

There are also some US-based eBay sellers with it.

KL
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 02:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

KL

Tat, I have no complaints on your writing. My comment was about this being about the announcement of a kit when the kit has been on sale for quite awhile. It seems to be about six months late.

KL

Point taken Kurt, thank you. I disagree however that it has been out that long. Rest assured that I shall improve on this matter moving forward. Cheers, Tat
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 02:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Riich do a really nice set of figures for the Universal carrier which are fine for the Loyd but I would love to see more aswell
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I disagree however that it has been out that long.

It came out here sometime in August. I remember because I held off buying on-line because I hoped it would be available at a local model show (held on 17 September) and wanted to save shipping if I could.

Squadron (along with Merit) are the US importers. They seem to get the Hobby Boss and Trumpeter kits first in North America and often before other shops around the world. For example, they just received the Trumpeter KV-220, KV-7 (Obj 227), Kazakh BMPT, and Hobby Boss BA-20 M1939. Are these available elsewhere?

KL
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 06:59 AM UTC
Great news. I prefer this version.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I disagree however that it has been out that long.

It came out here sometime in August. I remember because I held off buying on-line because I hoped it would be available at a local model show (held on 17 September) and wanted to save shipping if I could.

Squadron (along with Merit) are the US importers. They seem to get the Hobby Boss and Trumpeter kits first in North America and often before other shops around the world. For example, they just received the Trumpeter KV-220, KV-7 (Obj 227), Kazakh BMPT, and Hobby Boss BA-20 M1939. Are these available elsewhere?

KL

Hobby Easy has it, with a release date of October. Hobby Link Japan has a release date of September, but is currently out of stock. Hannants lists it under New Arrivals this October. No listing at Lucky Model and BNA Models -- its the Mk I that they have available
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 08:31 PM UTC
Don't really care when exactly it came out, I'm just intrigued that it is here. Now we simply need to figure out where to put it...
 _GOTOTOP