_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
News
Assault Models: 3D Scanned US WWII & Modern Figures
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 01:42 PM UTC

Assault Models released two new figures in two different scales, both produced using 3D scanning technology. Can figures get any more realistic than this?

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
weesiep
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 03:09 AM UTC
Slightly below the level of reedoak, But still happy to see more players going down this route! A big step forward.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 03:37 AM UTC
And moderately priced!
ryally
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 879 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 08:16 AM UTC
Can figures get any more realistic than this?

To me they look a little strange not sure why. Will be interested to see a painted version
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 09:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To me they look a little strange not sure why. Will be interested to see a painted version

Because they are real people and your brain subconsciously can't grasp the uniformity of the tones. Humans respond to color and light versus dark. Without those cues, something looks wrong. We can grasp this in an stylistically proportioned figure and it doesn't look as wrong. But with exact proportions it looks more wrong.

This is something I have learned about while doing comics. One deals with color versus black and white, variation of tones and realism of depiction.
Shanehugh
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 09:42 AM UTC
I like the pose in general but the left shoulder, arm and hand just seems a bit off. Would like to see a painted version.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 10:04 AM UTC
The knob at the very end of the elbow should be a touch longer. Take the image, put a grid over it or even just draw a stick skeleton and you'll see it. I've been doing figure drawing for so long measure of human proportions is instinct. Panel after panel, I see body parts in my sleep.
ryally
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 879 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 01:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Because they are real people and your brain subconsciously can't grasp the uniformity of the tones. Humans respond to color and light versus dark. Without those cues, something looks wrong. We can grasp this in an stylistically proportioned figure and it doesn't look as wrong. But with exact proportions it looks more wrong.

This is something I have learned about while doing comics. One deals with color versus black and white, variation of tones and realism of depiction.

No that's not it
It just looks a little strange as I said will wait to see the painted version
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 01:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

No that's not it
It just looks a little strange as I said will wait to see the painted version

Un huh.

Did you notice the missing knob on the elbow, foreshortened forearm, and slightly undersized hand?

If you examine the real versus miniature with either a grid or a work up on the body proportions using a skeleton they jump out at you.
weesiep
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 03:38 PM UTC
Might it also be that the pose are so "static" that we feel they are a little odd? Does anybody know how long it takes before a 3D full body scan is finished. Possibly several minutes (I get the feeling from looking at the figures tha they have to sand still with heavy weapons hold entirely still). image what will happen if we create machinery that can do it in an instant, say like taking a picture. That would give us fantastically posed figures. But I am very happy with the figures now appearing on the market already (fatter, children, realistic women).
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 04:35 PM UTC
I hope that one day they release the GI in 1/16th scale.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 08:49 PM UTC
There's something definitely wrong with his left arm. Looks like he was wounded in that arm and he's holding it awkwardly. I think it's because his left shoulder is a little too high - should be sloped down a little.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 09:01 PM UTC

Here's a forum topic from planetFigure that you might find useful.

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/3d-scanning.81417/

Mario
Shanehugh
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 01:12 AM UTC
Interesting insight thanks Mario. Looking at the initial master figure there appears some definite improvement with that arm compared to the above finished product?
 _GOTOTOP