_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Meng: Tiger II Zimmerit Made Easy
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 10:32 AM UTC

It is said that there are many ways to skin a cat. The same may be said for replicating Zimmerit on a big cat such as the King Tiger. Meng Model approaches the challenge by releasing a product that may be applied just as you would do with a waterslide decal.rnrn

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 06:03 PM UTC
A good idea and doubtless appreciated by those wanting a quick result or for the more casual modeller but haven't we been here before with etched metal, 'printed paper' and then embossed card zim sets? Truth be told, it doesn't look very realistic; often being too 'perfect' when applied.

Short of doing it yourself - and in my experience only a few (very) skilled AFV guys can pull off a great 'in scale' zim finish with model putties and milliput etc - personally I think that the 'ATAK' and 'Cavalier' ultra thin resin zim sets have never been bettered for mainstream use.

Others may disagree of course.

Gary
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 09:50 PM UTC
Is this product similar to Archer's printed surface details decals? Guess it depends on how it looks when painted, and how it will compare price-wise to Atak, and Cavalier.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 10:43 PM UTC
I used Tamiya's version on their Tiger I and it turned out nice. You had to be perfect in placement on the first go. I was a hair off thinking it was a bit oversized and could trim it down. WRONG !
Although I didn't do it I think that you could create damage to the Zim just by cutting the image area where you wanted the damage then applying.
Haven't painted it yet so I don't know how well paint bonds. I'm guessing that because it's vinyl enamels might truly wreck it.
This is a nice shortcut IMHO versus putty work zim.
Stay warm & build everybody !
Tom
48thscale
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 02:30 AM UTC
So how may separate kits to make one complete Meng Tiger II now? I'm getting lost here...long live marketeers with wonderful ideas?
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 05:15 AM UTC
Intriguing.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 06:08 AM UTC
I agree that we've all seen this kind of product in the past and been less than thrilled with the results. Real Zimmerit is rough textured cement and I can't see a water-slide decal giving enough 3D effect to pull it off. And it probably is too perfect. Tough it up and use putty and do it yourself -isn't this what the hobby is really all about, and not how much easier and expensive we can make it?
acebatau
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 616 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 11:04 AM UTC
At least they giving you a lot of choices, it's up to you now to use this option or you can make 2 KT with or without zimmerit, or to buy separate tracks or add interior which is nice in my opinion
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 08:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Real Zimmerit is rough textured cement and I can't see a water-slide decal giving enough 3D effect to pull it off. And it probably is too perfect.

If you actually look at the product pic you'll see it is not "perfect", with irregularities, and chipped areas. And, as I noted, if it is similar to Archer's resin decal casting marks, weld seams, and rivet rows (which it seems to be), then it will be at a realistic thickness. Just using such a large decal might prove tricky to handle.
Edit: what I thought were chipped areas are actually spaces where tool, tow cable brackets, etc. are located. Although making chips is certainly NOT difficult. Might fit exclusively and ONLY on Meng kit.
Chuck4
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 08:36 PM UTC
How "3D" are the surface textures on these decal?

You have to still have good surface texture after you paint over these.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 08:43 PM UTC
Hasn't anyone ever seen Archer's resin-printed surface details??
http://www.archertransfers.com/AR88007.html Just an example to illustrate. They are very good.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 08:27 AM UTC
Probably is fitted for the Meng kits though with some modification it might well work as an alternative for other kits. The Archer Zimmerit is quite nice, so if its like that then its probably worth a second look. The PE stuff, on the other hand, is a no-go.
sinistervampire319
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 11:22 AM UTC
Didn't another company a few years ago produce 3D Zimmerit decals? Not Archer someone else.
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 11:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Didn't another company a few years ago produce 3D Zimmerit decals? Not Archer someone else.

Yeah DEF.

Gotta admit it looks pretty good and textured in the build pics. Would have been nice (and easy) for them to show a shot with base paint on but it definitely looks ok, and should be easy enough to "distress" if you're careful.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 11:56 AM UTC
Chipping decals is one of the first things I learned how to do with an x-acto blade.

Looks like this will stick better than the Tamiya stickers. I fell in love with them after trying them.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 12:52 PM UTC
Alas, wherever the surface texture and ease of application, it appears to suffer from the same problem as many of the pre-made products do, in that the way it goes around details is just not prototypical. The Zimmerit was applied after the vehicle was completed, so all the fittings were present. A crew of workers then applied the stuff around those details and so the pattern tends to flow around details with bare patches rather than go right up to the edges with no interruption of the pattern as here.

The most effective solution remains to use putty and it really isn't as difficult as some would have you believe. Just remember that it is thin (c.5mm on the ridges),
study photos of original examples (not museum bodges such as Saumur's) and practice on scrap first. I made my own plasterer's float tool for texturing using strips of metal and carved resin sprue, the width being calculated by how many columns fitted into a known dimension (e.g. the hinged trackguard front on the well known Pz.Jag.Abt 228 Jpz. IV in Normandie).
 _GOTOTOP