_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-90 cast turret info
Drichc
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 08:41 PM UTC
Ok. Time to probe the armorama collective mind.

I'm considering building the Trumpeter T90 cast turret that I picked up cheaply next.

A few things have come to light during research, much of it contradictory.

1. The kit comes with a T90A hatch cover, but this is easy to deal with copying the one in my T-72B kit.

2. The later style exhaust is provided, rather than the T72 style. Thankfully easy again as Trumpeter provide two of these in the mentioned T-72 kit. It looks like I need to modify it a bit and use the T-90 cover though?

3. Tracks! You get UMSh, but nearly all pictures show the earlier RMSh. However, I have found one good and a few blurry pics of a CT T-90 with the later UMSh. They all appear to be of the same vehicle. It has what appears to be T-90 painted by a drunk crewman on the skirts and 111 on the turret. Threre also appears to be a black image on one of the forward armour plates - not sure what it's meant to represent?

So, I guess my question is. Can I just change the exhaust, modify the hatch, then leave UMSh tracks on and make decals for the vehicle in question. Or do I have other options. Have most early cast turret T-90's been upgraded to later tracks? Have any received the later exhaust?

I've struggled to find and really good references of these early tanks, so would appreciate any enlightenment on the subject.

Rich
bob_gs
Visit this Community
Homyelrskaya, Belarus
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 11:01 PM UTC
http://www.dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=3469
Drichc
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2017 - 01:52 AM UTC
Thanks Vladimir

I've got that saved as a favourite, but it doesn't really answer my question.

All I need are a few pics of a T-90 CT with UMSh tracks and I'll be happy, or I'll stump up for the Miniarm set of tracks and sprockets.

Rich
bob_gs
Visit this Community
Homyelrskaya, Belarus
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2017 - 10:08 AM UTC
Richard, You need a photo parallel RMSH? Here is a great walk:
http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/yuri_pasholok/t-90/
Drichc
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2017 - 03:41 PM UTC
Hi Vladimir

Thanks again, but I have seen this and it's going to be very useful for my Meng T-90A.

What I really need is information regarding UMSH v RMSh on the early batch of cast turret T-90's.

Is the picture I have found the only cast turret T-90 with UMSh, or is this a more common occupancy as tracks are replaced.

I guess it may be that very few of these tanks are still in service so we're never upgraded, but I am struggling to find this out with only the internet available to me.

Rich
Drichc
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2017 - 06:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is the picture I have found the only cast turret T-90 with UMSh, or is this a more common occupancy as tracks are replaced.

Common occurrence. I hate auto correct sometimes
bob_gs
Visit this Community
Homyelrskaya, Belarus
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2017 - 06:52 PM UTC
хостинг фото
Drichc
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2017 - 08:24 PM UTC
Thank you Vladimir.

I also took another look at the prime portal link. It looks like I was wrong and it is a cast turret and apologise. It's not the same link I thought it was to a T-90A walkaround I have.

Do you have any idea whether all the early cast turret tanks were upgraded with I presume a new engine alongside the newer style exhaust, or just a few?

Rich
Humdingah
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2017 - 09:07 PM UTC
Why do the tracks in the above picture look as if they've been altered somehow...the tracks and lower half of the road wheels look 'blurry' as if there's been some manipulation on them.
Drichc
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2017 - 10:34 PM UTC
looks like a screen grab of an image that hadn't finished rendering to me.

Rich
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 04:36 AM UTC
In response to questions outside of this thread, there are two ways to address this build:

1. Find a photo, or photo shoot of a tank you like and build that specific tank.

2. Build what you want even if it does not exactly match any specific photo.

In another off-thread discussion earlier today, it is as if the "Russians" want each tank to be individuals! It is becoming clear that it might be best to consider Russian tanks to be from building "batches", much like aircraft, and then rebuilds add another "layer" of "batchiness". It gets confusing and becomes hard to ID. Best example from today? T-72B with T-80 sprocket and track in Ukraine.

So I would say that it is entirely possible that what you want to do, build kit 05560 OOB in solid green, and call it good. There is most likely exactly that tank somewhere.

Sorry if this seems a bit ranty, but Russian vehicle ID just seems to get nuttier by the day.
bob_gs
Visit this Community
Homyelrskaya, Belarus
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 11:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you Vladimir.

I also took another look at the prime portal link. It looks like I was wrong and it is a cast turret and apologise. It's not the same link I thought it was to a T-90A walkaround I have.

Do you have any idea whether all the early cast turret tanks were upgraded with I presume a new engine alongside the newer style exhaust, or just a few?

Richard,talk about the changes you need to ask experts. I do not know, sorry... For the Russian army less than 200 pieces were manufactured T-90 with a CT
Drichc
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 04:36 PM UTC
Sorry for the tardy reply.

Thank you very much Jacques and it wasn't ranty at all. I appreciate the info and it leaves me a fair bit of latitude in what I want to do with the build.

Still finding little snippets of info which is helping me focus on what I want to see in the end.

Rich
 _GOTOTOP