_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Amusing Hobby: Panther II Sprue Shots
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 04:56 AM UTC

Amusing Hobby shares photos of what is inside the box.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 05:09 AM UTC
I'm guessing there will be another version, maybe a "production" Panther II. The turret could also be used on a Panther F. Either way it looks like a good kit. Once I save up a few dollars I'll have to get this one and the JagdPanther II.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 05:37 AM UTC
It looks good. Actually, it looks like they did correctly model the turret based on the one from Panzer Tracts which means it will be subtly different from the Panther F turret.
Roshindow
Visit this Community
Trento, Italy
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 07:13 AM UTC
Seems also like the actual model doesn't have the rangefinder compared to the box art, which is correct, again, standing to Panzer tracts.

Nevermind, they are separate pieces, guess one could always not use them to get an accurate depiction
darklen
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 07:15 AM UTC
Other than the first two sprues and one PE fret, everything else is the same as the Jagdpanther II kit. I'm currently building the JP kit and it goes together reasonably well though the tracks are overly complicated with 5 separate parts. It's very difficult to assemble them well and maintain workability. Even if you do, they are quite fragile. Looking forward to the Panther II kit, but not the tracks. BTW, both Fruil and Spade Ace KT transport tracks fit this kit.
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 421 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:48 AM UTC
Another Panther II with the wrong turret.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Other than the first two sprues and one PE fret, everything else is the same as the Jagdpanther II kit. I'm currently building the JP kit and it goes together reasonably well though the tracks are overly complicated with 5 separate parts. It's very difficult to assemble them well and maintain workability. Even if you do, they are quite fragile. Looking forward to the Panther II kit, but not the tracks. BTW, both Fruil and Spade Ace KT transport tracks fit this kit.

Fruil tracks fit, that's good to know.

It is odd that on the old DML Panther II the tracks have the open link side of the tracks on the inside (near the hull) and on the AH Panther II the open side is on the outside, like the prototype hull.
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 09:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks good. Actually, it looks like they did correctly model the turret based on the one from Panzer Tracts which means it will be subtly different from the Panther F turret.

Matt

No the actual Panther II turret is completely different, it was based on the Ausf A turret which a much smaller cast mantlet and more narrow front. The Panther II was a mid war project not a late war one as many think it was. The Panther II was canceled long before the turret in the kit was desgned. It predates the Ausf G. I have been planning to scratch build one for some time based on the Panzer Tracts drawings. This should make a much better base kit than the old Dragon one.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 04:22 PM UTC
You're right, brain fart on my part!
Roshindow
Visit this Community
Trento, Italy
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 06:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No the actual Panther II turret is completely different, it was based on the Ausf A turret which a much smaller cast mantlet and more narrow front. The Panther II was a mid war project not a late war one as many think it was. The Panther II was canceled long before the turret in the kit was desgned. It predates the Ausf G. I have been planning to scratch build one for some time based on the Panzer Tracts drawings. This should make a much better base kit than the old Dragon one.

Looks like the one in Panzer Tracts 5-4, which is different from the later Schmalturm. It has the right mantlet, "flaps" on the side of the back of the turret, like traditional Panther turrets, the escape hatch on the back is to the right, only mistake seems to be the inclusion of the rangefinder, and possibly the grenade launcher and wide range periscope, although those might be details not seen on the drawings that might have been adopted anyway. Is there a more updated drawing on other Panzer Tracts?
Chuck4
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 07:07 PM UTC
My understanding is the major difference between panther ii turret and panther d/a turret is the smaller cast mantlet and slightly thicker armor. In dimension and shape is it very similar to d/g/a turret. However, the mantlet is visually important, and gives the superficial appearance that panther ii turret resembled panther f turret. In fact panther f turret is smaller all around and have a significantly narrower front.
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 07:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Looks like the one in Panzer Tracts 5-4, which is different from the later Schmalturm. It has the right mantlet, "flaps" on the side of the back of the turret, like traditional Panther turrets, the escape hatch on the back is to the right, only mistake seems to be the inclusion of the rangefinder, and possibly the grenade launcher and wide range periscope, although those might be details not seen on the drawings that might have been adopted anyway. Is there a more updated drawing on other Panzer Tracts?

I think thats the only drawing in existence and its taken from written descriptions. The original drawings were lost. The actual turret was never built, the project was canceled before the turret was made leaving only a hull. the turret on the hull now was taken from a ausf g panther and put on at I think Aberdeen proving grounds after the war.
Roshindow
Visit this Community
Trento, Italy
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I think thats the only drawing in existence and its taken from written descriptions. The original drawings were lost. The actual turret was never built, the project was canceled before the turret was made leaving only a hull. the turret on the hull now was taken from a ausf g panther and put on at I think Aberdeen proving grounds after the war.

The Panzer Tracts 5-4 introduction says that that drawing is based on Rheinmetall conceptual design drawings, not descriptions, although it doesn't say if more precise drawings were lost.
tigerproductions
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:26 PM UTC
Boring........................................How about some between the wars US Armor and soft skins? They have already produced more German armor kits than real tanks manufactured.
Mongo13
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 130 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 10:05 PM UTC
Doesn't matter how boring or if it doesn't match someone's drawing. It looks cool so I will build it.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 12:27 AM UTC
Incredibly boring! So much so I am going to get one of these kits to replace that old Dragon Panther II I have.

I see that there are 2 box arts, and 2 kit numbers. One with the 75 and one with an 88. The turret front does not have an opening for a gunners sight, and the over-all turret looks very Panther F'ish, maybe a bit larger.

Now I need to save up for 3 kits!
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 01:37 AM UTC
Enrico my mistake, my memory failed me on that one.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 03:21 AM UTC
Interesting and important if you want to model the progression in the Panther family. Guess I'm going to have to read up on this one as I thought that the turret was the schmallturm that was to be used on the F, but apparently not as you can see by the size and mantle. Still, pretty interesting piece.
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 03:40 AM UTC
I'm looking forward to this one, I'm glad I didn't build that Dragon kit, it's heading for the waste bucket now!
CPL-Overby
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 190 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 05:35 AM UTC
As to the comments about the turret.....
CPL-Overby
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 05:36 AM UTC
CPL-Overby
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 05:42 AM UTC
WTH...everytime I try to type my post...it "posts"......
the "Schmalturm" was designed for the Panther F,
not the Panther II, so this kit has the "correct" turret.
Had the Panther II been put into production
the Panther G and the Panther F would have never been.

Great now it won't post
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 08:38 AM UTC
Good discussion on the turret, appreciate learning something new. Any feedback on the layout of the hatches, and the rear deck? Does it represent how it was supposed to have been?
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 06:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good discussion on the turret, appreciate learning something new. Any feedback on the layout of the hatches, and the rear deck? Does it represent how it was supposed to have been?

Tat,

The hull looks spot on.

Roshindow
Visit this Community
Trento, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 09:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe not using the raised fan cover, it's not on the surviving hull, and seems it wasn't conisdered yet when it was canceled.
 _GOTOTOP