_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
MiniArt: Tiran 4
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 03:48 PM UTC

MiniArt is working on a Tiran 4 IDF Tank, which will come with interior

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
wildbill426
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 375 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 08:50 PM UTC
wow!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 12:03 AM UTC
Another T tank I will have to get. Does it look a lot like the tanks used by Lebanon? Would the IDF versions have the 105?
Merki4
Visit this Community
Modena, Italy
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 01:33 AM UTC
great!!
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another T tank I will have to get. Does it look a lot like the tanks used by Lebanon? Would the IDF versions have the 105?

Don't know about the ones given to the Christian militia in Lebanon (SLA)
but IDF seem to have been upgraded them to use a 105 mm weapon after some years (could easier supply of ammunition be one of the reasons ??)

This page http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/Israeli-Tanks.php
has this to say about Tiran-4 (based on captured T-54s)
"Tiran-4 (T-54)

Early type: New fenders, rear opening loaders hatch and antenna mount in front of TC
Added to this .30 cal in MG ring on the loaders hatch, two gas cans on front fenders.
1970s Upgrade (before Yom Kippour war) 105 mm, new TC antenna, TC spotlight with red filter lense, Sherman-type aiming device, fire extinguisher, US headlamps, central .30 cal MG, and after 1973, twin antenna and IDF oil storage box.
"

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-54/T-55_operators_and_variants#Israel
we find this:
"Tiran-4 - Modified T-54 with original 100 mm gun.[37] It has two water cans fitted to the rear of the turret, new fenders, new loader's hatch that opens to the rear and a new antenna mount. Later fitted were a rounded stowage bin on the rear of the turret, pintle-mounted .30 cal M1919A4 Browning medium machine gun in front of the loaders hatch and gas cans fitted to the front fenders.[85]
Tiran-4Sh - upgraded Tiran-4, fitted with Sharir 105 mm gun. It also was fitted with a newer type of antenna mount in, new infrared spotlight for the commander, an aiming system from the Sherman medium tank, fire extinguisher mounted in front of the searchlight, new headlights, centrally mounted .30 cal M1919A4 Browning medium machine gun, signal flag holders and an oil can mounted on the rear of the left fender.[85] It also has ammunition racks modified to suit the 105mm ammunition, new communications equipment, modified commander's seat, new gunner's seat, azimuth indicator installed, driver's hatch modified so that it can opened from the outside, coaxial machine gun replaced by a 7.62mm Browning machine gun and the cupola mounted DShK 1938/46 antiaircraft heavy machine gun replaced by a 12.7 mm Browning heavy machine gun, new fire control, night vision equipment, electrical system, air-conditioning system, antennae mounts on the rear of the turret, infantry tank-telephone on the rear of the hull, exhaust outlet angled upwards, additional track stowage and fire-extinguishing system installed"

/ Robin
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 03:35 AM UTC
Well I got the prediction right that Miniart would be quick with a Tiran hot on the heels of Takom. They appear to have pushed back the T-54A and B to make way for it.

This looks more "mid type" than "late" as it has the later exterior fittings but still the D-10T gun and only a single external MG. Probably therefore T-54B based. Late T4 would have the L7/M68, and probably an external MG for each hatch.

Intriguingly, the box art shows an early type T4 in the background, probably T-54A based. It has the early minimal external mods and still has the D-10 gun without bore evacuator. I wonder if this is a sign of things to come ......? But still starfish wheels on both. Why no spiders? Would be appropriate for T-54A, and the Miniart original T-54 blurb said both wheel types would be included.

Some sources like Wiki say that SLA only had 105mm Tirans, but there are many photos of 100mm versions in SLA colours. The Takom T4 box art shows one in SLA blue/grey cam.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 04:08 AM UTC
I did a quick google on Tiran 4 and there are some pictures of the tanks during the 1973 war. They do not have the turret storage bins, the rear hull bin has a rounded profile and the tanks have the 105mm gun. That is the tank I plan on building (like the DEF kit, which I have been trying to find, but it's not even on evil bay).

I'm not sure of the early to mid to late changes, but this model should make a good base kit for what I plan on.

I can't check until I get off work, but it sure looks like the Lebanon tanks in the Blue Steel book.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 05:01 AM UTC
AFAI recall, no IDF Tiran 4 used the configuration of main gun/IDF fittings shown in this box-art. The characteristic IDF "late" additional boxes were used on tanks already equipped with 105mm guns.

If I have to trust in my memory, this configuration was only seen on SLA tanks and on a single tank displayed at the Latrun museum.

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 05:06 AM UTC
Wild Bill beat me to it. Wow, just wow!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 08:42 AM UTC
I just got my T-54-2 kit! WOW is an under statement. It was so heavy I expected metal tracks inside the box! Now I can't wait to get my hands on this one.
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 09:19 AM UTC
may be a T-55 with drozh ADS.report seen action during afgahnistan war.
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 09:39 PM UTC
This seems (and I say seems) to be an IDF Tiran 4 with the late bins and still with the 100mm D10T gun: http://www.militarymodelling.com/sites/1/images/member_albums/37888/Tiran_in_action.jpg

I can't make out the turret roof vent but it appears to have the small front wheel station hub - which could still be a T-55 up to Model 1958.

At the other end of the spectrum, here is a T4 still with spider wheels and no bins but with the 105 gun: http://img.bemil.chosun.com/nbrd/files/BEMIL085/upload/2006/04/T-54%20and%20T-55%20into%20Tiran%204%2C5_15.jpg

This is what is in the background of the MinArt box art: http://s28.postimg.org/8qtokuk71/image.jpg. I want to model this, but with spider wheels, as the Alpha and Omega with a fully-modded T5. The 105 with spiders in the previous photo must presumably have existed as a 100 with spiders.

Did SLA actually have any 105mm Tirans? I can only see 100mm in an admittedly cursory search. One might assume that 100mm ammo was easier for SLA to come by so perhaps they deliberately got essentially late-type mods but still with the D10T gun? Both Takom and MiniArt T4s might turn out to be only appropriate for SLA, not IDF.

The DEF Tiran conversion is still allegedly available, but hardly anyone seems to have one. Plastic Hobby.com in Czech Republic claim to have one: http://www.plastic-hobby.com/product/1-35-idf-tiran-4-5-1973-t-54a-turret-conversion-set-for-tamiya:37589/.

I guess I'd better hang on to mine for now. It is very nice, and it looks like I might still have need of it.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 - 02:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did SLA actually have any 105mm Tirans? I can only see 100mm in an admittedly cursory search. One might assume that 100mm ammo was easier for SLA to come by so perhaps they deliberately got essentially late-type mods but still with the D10T gun? Both Takom and MiniArt T4s might turn out to be only appropriate for SLA, not IDF.

I may stand corrected, but AFAIK there were no 105mm on SLA Tirans, every Tiran sent to Lebanon forces was backdated with the 100mm gun.

I still believe that the box-art doesn't show an accurate depiction of an IDF Tiran 4.
I'm sure that Mr. Michael Mass can throw some light on this matter, let's be patient to see if he comments about this release...
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 - 03:09 AM UTC
Peter, I think the Tiran in the first picture is based on the T-55, and still with the 100mm gun. Maybe it's a Lebanon tank? I saw that DEF set, but I have concern for the payment side of things. I don't think they take PayPal.

I agree with Hugo, but while it is not the IDF Tiran 4 I want to have, it is 95% of what I need to build one.
SabIngaMartin
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 - 10:11 AM UTC
Well there were many types of Tiran 4.
In this case it looks like they copy the Latrun M Tiran 4 one to one, with its 100 mm gun. There is nothing wrong with that but it limiting the representation to single or very limited number of such tanks that used by IDF. To be real late type i hope that they still have a time to throw in 105 mm gun
Robert

Dr. Robert Manasherob
www.SabIngaMartin.com
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 - 10:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well there were many types of Tiran 4.
In this case it looks like they copy the Latrun M Tiran 4 one to one, with its 100 mm gun. There is nothing wrong with that but it limiting the representation to single or very limited number of such tanks that used by IDF. To be real late type i hope that they still have a time to throw in 105 mm gun
Robert

Dr. Robert Manasherob
www.SabIngaMartin.com

Is the 105mm the only thing that would need to be changed?
Is the correct 105mm gun available in some other kit ?
/ Robin
SabIngaMartin
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 - 11:57 PM UTC
From the cover art of the areas that can be seen it looks that they include everything that is on the Latrun tank, thus yes the change of the gun and adjacent of its dust cover will be the only thing (BUT than the internal storage and ammo racks will be not exactly accurate). Any after market 105 mm gun will work or from other Israeli tank kits that had the 105 mm gun,
They copy so well that they also add things that dont need to be there and are artifacts!!!!! For example on the front the folding stretcher is not accurate and some metal stripes that were welded by the Museum crew to prevent the steal of the stretcher were incorporated to the kit. MIniArt you still have time to correct some of the mistakes.
Robert

Dr. Robert Manasherob
SabIngaMartin Pablication
www.SabIngaMartin.com
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 03:19 AM UTC
Thanks !
I'm not worried about the interior since I build with all hatches closed whenever possible
/ Robin
 _GOTOTOP