_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Italeri: Limited Edition Tiger 131
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 - 04:59 AM UTC

Italeri presents a Limited Edition box of the famous Tiger 131, which is currently shown on The Tank Museum, with several World of Tanks extras.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 - 05:29 AM UTC
This has marketing department sales ploy written all over it. Before everyone chimes in with crud about accuracy or the " same old dog again " this kit isn't intended for you. It's for World of Tanks players who don't know models and/or are intimidated by a Dragon kit.

But at least the standard front fenders, exhaust shrouds and turret escape hatch are in the same box with the early Tiger kit. I'm kind of fond of the Italeri Tigers as they were the first 1/35 Tigers I built. But only because they were inexpensive and at the time there were no other alternatives.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 - 05:57 AM UTC
It's also to tie in to the fact they just released this particular Tiger as a premium purchase in the game - but it has slightly worse statistics than the normal Tiger.

Totally for marketing.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hey if it gets gamers to buy and build models, more power to 'em!
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 - 12:26 PM UTC
The artwork hints at what you're getting; Tiger 131 in a sand desert, which probably never happened, but it's what the "man in the street" imagines. Close enough for W.O.T.

But seriously, why didn't they copy the Dragon decal sheet? They don't provide the rear cross!

David
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 - 01:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The artwork hints at what you're getting; Tiger 131 in a sand desert, which probably never happened, but it's what the "man in the street" imagines. Close enough for W.O.T.

But seriously, why didn't they copy the Dragon decal sheet? They don't provide the rear cross!

David

Well you see it was a choice between the rear cross and the WOT logo and Italeri was contractually obligated to use the WOT logo so no rear cross.

Marketing is more important than accuracy here.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 - 06:52 PM UTC
I see it includes the secret ingredient to make plastic kit addicts out of casual game players who thought they just fancied a dabble at modelling - liquid cement. Once combined with the plastic, allowed to set overnight and all the real poisonous fumes have gone... I love the smell of set cement in the morning.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 05:51 AM UTC
Isn't this just a repackage of the long-of-tooth Italeri Tiger kit with all that that implies? Why not just buy the Dragon kit? Oh right, the poster...oh look! designer glue no less!
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 06:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Isn't this just a repackage of the long-of-tooth Italeri Tiger kit with all that that implies? Why not just buy the Dragon kit? Oh right, the poster...oh look! designer glue no less!

I always wanted a WOT poster.

Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 08:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

First it is a marketing ploy aimed at WOT players not model builders.
Second, its sticker price is €44.9 which is about $50. That's $10 less than a discounted Dragon Tiger 131 and without all the intimidating teeny tiny parts and dense confusing instructions.
Third, there are still those who prefer Tamiya Tigers of the same vintage as the Italeri, so there probably are those who like the ancient Italeri kits. They are simple builds and the link and length track is a little better than a rubber band.

All very reasonable suppositions to those without the passion for complexity and accuracy that to a casual observer might appear to verge on a mental disorder. And then there are marketing types wishing to cash in on gaming mania and building a new potential market.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 11:46 PM UTC
Well it's certainly not going to win any accuracy contests! It's an old clunky kit and probably the least accurate kit save for the original Tamiya. That being said the gamer or OOB modeller can make it look ok with a deft paint job. If the gamers help keep kit manufacturers in business, that can't be a bad thing. I don't believe serious tiger fans will be "fooled" by this release, but it does fill a market need..
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 - 12:05 AM UTC
My Tiger 131 from Dragon comes with DS cactus plants ,I bet this doesn't have that.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 - 01:48 AM UTC
I just took a look at the decals. They are *very* much like Dragon's ones. Which I drew.

David

_GOTOTOP