_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Paint references for Tiger 1
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 11:17 AM UTC
Hi, it's a bit dark in here!

Sorry, Aircraft modeller here needing some advice on Tamiya paint colours for a Tiger 1. The shop that I will be visiting only has Tamiya paints so I need the Tamiya paint references for the: dark yellow(?) base colour and the red brown and green camo.

It would also be useful for me to know what paints that you would use?

Thanks for any help, I'm back off to the light
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 11:24 AM UTC
XF-60 is gonna be your base coat for anything but the earliest grey and non-Africa machines.

If you're going early all-gray scheme it's XF-63.

The red-brown and green-olive colors are very subjective and were often mixed and thinned in the field with either water or fuel or other solvents.

You still working on that Academy one from...seems like ages ago?

Gaz
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 11:48 AM UTC
Hi Gary,
I'm building a late Tiger 1 so it has the dark yellow base colour (I'm not talking about a primer?) So is XF60 that dark yellow?

[The red-brown and green-olive colors are very subjective and were often mixed and thinned in the field with either water or fuel or other solvents.[/quote]

Yep I know this so are there Tamiya single colour references? because of the above it doesn't matter but I'm after a single colour reference, if there is one?

Yep its the tiger I started for the KitMaker IPMS club challenge and I am not enjoying it but I do intend to finish it for November. I have a primer coat on it, actually red oxide primer, before adding the zimmerit! I'm just trying to sort out the turret mounted spare track links as the fittings are shown wrong because the links are shown the wrong way up! And I need to fit the links after the zim' what a pain!
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 12:50 PM UTC
Mal:

Tamiya have multiple Tiger kits. They even have multiple 1/35 "late" Tiger kits. So I don't know which kit you are talking about. Could you post its number?

But I looked at the most common kit, # 35146, and I want to say this; the track links are the right way up. See:

Tamiya 35146 page 6

David
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 12:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

XF-60 is gonna be your base coat for anything but the earliest grey and non-Africa machines.

Gaz; you seem to be recommending Dunkelgelb for African Tigers, which is wrong.

In fact I don't think it was even used in southern Russia / Ukraine on Tigers at first.

Am I reading you right?

David
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 12:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gary,
I'm building a late Tiger 1 so it has the dark yellow base colour (I'm not talking about a primer?) So is XF60 that dark yellow?

[The red-brown and green-olive colors are very subjective and were often mixed and thinned in the field with either water or fuel or other solvents.

Yep I know this so are there Tamiya single colour references? because of the above it doesn't matter but I'm after a single colour reference, if there is one?

Yep its the tiger I started for the KitMaker IPMS club challenge and I am not enjoying it but I do intend to finish it for November. I have a primer coat on it, actually red oxide primer, before adding the zimmerit! I'm just trying to sort out the turret mounted spare track links as the fittings are shown wrong because the links are shown the wrong way up! And I need to fit the links after the zim' what a pain![/quote]

Yes, the yellow is the base coat. The Germans used a red-brown primer. There is no call-out for the red-brown and olive-green. There's really no wrong answer for those two colors. You could easily mix some of your red oxide with some plain brown and come up with a close color.

Good luck!

Gaz
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 1,390 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 01:06 PM UTC
Hi Mal,
According to "Tarnanstriche des deutschen Heeres 1914 bis heute" by Johannes Dennecke, the RAL designations for used collors were:

Rotbraun RAL 8017-today known as Schokoladenbraun RAL 8017.This collor can be mixed from following Tamiya paints: XF-10(Flat Brown)/65%; XF-51(Khaki Drab)/30% and XF-1(Flat Black)/5%.

Olivgruen RAL 6003-name still in use today- can be mixed from XF-60(Dark Yellow)/30% and XF-61(Dark Green)/70%.

So to paint your late Tiger with Tamiya paints you'll need:
XF-60(Dark Yellow)- straight from the jar for basecollor and as ingredient for Olivegreen,
XF-10(Flat Brown)-as ingredient for Rotbraun,
XF-1(Flat Black)-as ingredient for Rotbraun, but you can also use it straight from the jar for preshading/priming-should you decide to do these,
XF-51(Khai Drab)-as ingredient for Rotbraun and
XF-61(Dark Green)-as ingredient for Olivegreen.

I've found these recipe's on the web last year and was happy with the results.
Hope this helps

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 01:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gaz; you seem to be recommending Dunkelgelb for African Tigers, which is wrong.

In fact I don't think it was even used in southern Russia / Ukraine on Tigers at first.

Am I reading you right?

David

No, I wasn't recommending Dark yellow for North Africa. Though I reread the sentence I guess you and I see it differently, David.

Gaz
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 10:21 PM UTC
You could use the dark green and red brown (XF's 61 and 64) or even NATO green (68) and NATO brown (67). They look fine and you don't need to mix colors to get there.
 _GOTOTOP