_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Dragon: IDF M3 Halftrack
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 12:15 PM UTC

Dragon now has an impressive number of Israel Defense Forces (IDF) M3 halftracks in its line-up, with yet another interesting version joining the 1/35 scale family. The newest one features an M3 fitted with a Hispano-Suiza HS.404 20mm cannon.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 01:12 PM UTC
to Dragon,with out the crews, I simple have no incentive to buy.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 01:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Same with any kit of an open top vehicle. No crews, why buy?

Super especially true for Israeli. No pre 1982 Israeli figures in plastic. Period. (And I am not going to buy numerous Tamiya m51 kits just for crew figures)
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 02:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

When was the last armor release with included figures by them?
warmonger
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 117 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 02:45 PM UTC
Tamiya's been including some nice figures with their kits. The Nashorn, SU-76, and their new Archer have in action figure that have come a long way from their old figures.
bilbobee
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 04:49 PM UTC
This is the fourth m-3 in this series, released this year for dragon. I think that the cost of the figures is not that much, there are so many brands out there to choose from.
tetleyteaman
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 04:51 PM UTC
Quote 'When was the last armor release with included figures by them?'

You may not be aware Timothy but Dragon's recently released 6857 Sig.33 'Grille' kit comes with a set of figures.

So they can, when they want to, include them with an open-topped vehicle.
Removed by original poster on 09/20/17 - 13:41:50 (GMT).
SergentPRouxel
Visit this Community
Pyrenees-Atlantiques, France
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 07:39 PM UTC
I will surely buy it, as IDF fan, missing figures ? AC MODELS made a set of IDF paras of great quality, perhaps other in coming. Perhaps also more figures from DML !!!!
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 10:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I will surely buy it, as IDF fan, missing figures ? AC MODELS made a set of IDF paras of great quality, perhaps other in coming. Perhaps also more figures from DML !!!!

AC Models' figure set for this subject is beautifully sculpted and cast, just very expensive for a dozen figures.

Kylie
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 05:14 AM UTC
All these '67-73 kits cry out for vehicle crews and infantry riders, it's odd that no company is really addressing that (despite those beautiful paratroopers from AC).
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 07:52 AM UTC
Another attempt at flogging every known variant of a particular vehicle. I'd be more impressed with a two or three in one kit release.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 10:47 AM UTC
Frank, I couldn't agree more. While it's not a period of any interest to me as I only build Second World war stuff, Dragon can do it. I bought a few of their Sdkfz 251 3 in 1 kits and they're great. Obviously you can build a straightforward SPW C or D depending on the kit but then you've got the choice of two other variants. The photo etch in them's all usable, there's a driver, folded tarp to go over the top in different sizes. Fantastic kits. Also because there are a lot of generic sprues in there and you only use what you need for a specific type there's piles of spares which you can use to dress up other half tracks with. As you say this seems to be an excuse to bleed modellers dry buying a kit which has a few extra bits in it that were different to the last one they built. I notice that DML have released another 1/35th Wurfrahmen (Stuka Zu Fuss) which I've got as a 3 in 1 (2 of them thinking about it) so why release another kit of the same thing with one option? Maybe they realised that the 3 in 1 kits were great value and stopped producing them?

Richard- Why do you need a crew for a half track? I've never had a problem populating my German half tracks. Okay there's not really any IDF figures about but I assume that your comment applies to all half tracks. Even if a crew came with them I wouldn't use it as (a) they may not fit what I want for a diorama (b) I try to avoid using figures OOB as they look exactly the same as everyone elses build of that kit. One of the beauties of half tracks is that you can individualise them. Whether that's just putting additional kit in there or putting a few figures in it gives it the edge in my opinion. DML released a crew for their German half tracks which seemed a great idea. Only problem is they don't fit as they're too tall so you can't use the driver or radio op. You're better off sorting your own figures out.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2017 - 04:26 AM UTC
Couldn't agree more Karl, and you're singing to the choir on that one -and yes, those 3-in-1 kits are great value, and hence how they disappeared. Offer one kit and then offer the same with some extremely trivial PE extra and -wow! By darn, a NEW offering! (gag) Also irritating when they promise and don't deliver (SDKFZ 251 A, UHU, etc) or bring it out and withdraw it (Opel Blitz radio truck -what the HECK happened to that one, by the way?) Nonetheless I love those Dragon kits, stupid instructions and all so I guess that makes me a hopeless-case builder/hoarder, eh?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2017 - 06:05 AM UTC
Wish Dragon would stop teasing with these variants we know were actually on M5/M9 halftracks and just do the M5 already.

Put all these new halftracks together and there's enough new plastic for them to have done an M5. Boggles the mind.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2017 - 07:42 AM UTC
They do that a lot. On their earlier release of the Pz III K they included enough extra parts to customize or otherwise equip almost any variant of that tank. Not that they'd ever tell you. Hate it when the extras are so vague that you might never unravel just what it was to be used for. Same, apparently, on the M2/3/5/16 etc. Boggle indeed.
somtec
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 421 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 10:24 PM UTC
I would be very impressed if anyone can find a photo of this version of halftrack in IDF service, bet you cant
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 - 09:17 AM UTC
Hi;
Well now, let's see; Maybe I can now build the version that was used in the Kirk Douglas movie Cast A Giant Shadow !!!!!

CHEERS; MIKE.
 _GOTOTOP