_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Diff between MiG One Shot & Surface Primers?
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 11:02 PM UTC
The subject is my question... can anyone tell me what the difference is between MiG One Shot primer and MiG Surface primer? I understand that the One Shot is supposed to be the same as Stynylrez primer, which I also know nothing about. Any help would be great.
barrowb98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 11:16 PM UTC
The One Shot/Stynylrez you can blast it on pretty heavy right off the bat and it lays down and levels out real smooth. The regular Mig primer you need to build up in light coats at first or it beads and pulls away from edges and gets bare spots.

I love Stynylrez primer, it's nearly impossible to screw up. I used to hate waterbased primers until it came along now it's pretty much all I use.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 02:30 AM UTC
Stynylrez primer is acrylics but it acts little bit as if it was a laquer, no dry tip, very resistant, self-levelling, it is very thick but it does not need to thinn and unlike other acrylic primers it is sandable until it has a feather edge, large coverage ,1/3 cup cover as with 2/3 of the other primers and it is foolproof, with small scratches it acts a bit like a microfiller.

Badger says to shot with 0.5 needle but I used it with a 0.3 with no problems at 25-30 psi

go on youtube or on the web and you find planty of review,all very positive.

i start to use Mission Model Paint and in very similar to Stynylrez and both made in USA....I wonder if they are not made by the same producer
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 02:42 AM UTC
Just how important is primer ? I use mostly acrylics and haven't seen the need to prime ?
Ranchhand
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 257 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 03:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just how important is primer ? I use mostly acrylics and haven't seen the need to prime ?

i think that depends on what you are painting and what kind of paint. for plastics you can spray tamiya (which is not strictly acrylic)
if you try to paint a figure with acrylics on bare resin you can have a lot of trouble (paint not adhering, hard to make stick)
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 03:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

i think that depends on what you are painting and what kind of paint. for plastics you can spray tamiya (which is not strictly acrylic)
if you try to paint a figure with acrylics on bare resin you can have a lot of trouble (paint not adhering, hard to make stick)

I use alot of Tamiya Acrylics .True colors by AK looks interesting ?
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 04:39 AM UTC
I find the primer stick more tenaciously and is stronger,at the same time the paint stick better,before I used only the Tamiya gray in can that is a laquer, now alternating with Stynylrez, if the model is multimedia uniforms the color and surface, it does a bit like a microfiller, and lesser on models more on figures it shows junctions, scratches and other imperfections is difficult to see by eyes so you can fix them before you begin the paint job
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 - 07:55 PM UTC
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. It sounds like I need to try the Mig One Shot primer or Stynylrez. I have never been a 'primer guy', and have been successful (sufficiently at least) at covering plastic, resin and photo etch with regular paint. The only primers I have are the Vallejo primers (in many colors) but I rarely use them; I'm of the opinion that the less coating you put on a surface, the more detail that is retained. However, Vallejo primers don't get much love in many quarters, though I haven't had much of an issue with any of them, personally. Maybe the One Shot is the primer that I would consider using routinely if it is 'all that'.

Thanks again.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 03:38 AM UTC
Since you are in the US and you have no trouble finding it, take the Stynylrez in the original bottle, that of Mig costs a little more, is also sold by Ultimate Modeling Product (UMP), don't worry about the loss of detail because with the properties self-levelling you can flood the model but as it dries you will see all the details reappeared, honestly until recently I was a supporter of the oldschool Enamel/Laquer because the acrylics for one reason or the other have never convinced me to go to the dark side , but after trying Stynylrez and Mission Model Paint, with the fall in Humbrol's quality i swap side...
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 05:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

However, Vallejo primers don't get much love in many quarters, though I haven't had much of an issue with any of them, personally.

It be confusing and/or amusing to see how various modelers love or hate the same product. including some of the pros whose opinions are supposedly worth good money. One guy swears (insert name) brand is the best primer (or whatever) he's every used, the next says it's sewage in a bottle that ruined every build he used it on. Who are we supposed to believe? In some cases maybe it wasn't the product, it was the technique of the user.

If you've used Vallejo without problems then your opinion is the one that counts IMHO. Of course all modelers itch to try something new, so like you I have those Badger Stynylrez primers on my shopping list. I spent the day on a ladder fixing window trim outside, so my wife has to let me buy some model stuff, either that or she risks some major pouting. ;^)
barrowb98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 11:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I use alot of Tamiya Acrylics .True colors by AK looks interesting ?

It is very similar stuff to Tamiya, I've gotten a handful of samples to try. Very similar. I'd say it goes on a bit smoother and is more durable when washing, chipping, etc
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 07:03 PM UTC
Hi All,

Well, I finally bought some Stynylrez primer. I got the white, and I am anxious to try it. Now, my only issue/concern is how to clean my airbrush after using it. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use readily available, non-specialized stuff, like water, alcohol, Windex or Simple Green, but I do have a large bottle of Medea Airbrush Cleaner. Would any of these do a good job of cleaning an airbrush after shooting Stynylrez primer?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Mortifa
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 267 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 08:28 PM UTC
Hi Curt,

That Stynylrez primer is really nice to use and it is, I find, easier to clean.

If I use primer I give the brush a good cleaning if that is the last I use it that day. Otherwise just rinse it out as usual between paints.

Though there is a part of me that is slapping me upside the head right now saying do it right and clean the brush after primer, but hey, gotta live on the edge....
 _GOTOTOP