_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
difference between gloss coat and satin coat
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 04:43 AM UTC
OK, I'm a bit confused here... I got Humbrols satin coat (or semi-gloss if you like) and just tried it on the freshly painted face of my figure. It turned completely gloss; not something I wanted to achieve. Did I do something wrong? And what is actually the difference between gloss and semi-gloss coat?

Mario M.

Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 11:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And what is actually the difference between gloss and semi-gloss coat?

There should be a slight difference in the "sheen" or reflection of light between the two.

A simple understanding of it would be to consider examples using black paper (constuction type) and water:
If you put a puddle of water on the paper it would have a high gloss or reflection of light.
With the same paper now being just wet or soaked (no puddles) it would be a semi-gloss.
The same paper dry would be flat or no gloss or sheen.
Keep in mind that manufactures "ideas" or "mixes" can vary greatly. Also the color under the gloss or semi-gloss makes a difference too. Darker colors tend to show more shine than lighter colors.

Perhaps you could make a mix of 50/50 flat or matt and the semi-gloss or satin to lessen the "shine".
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 03:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps you could make a mix of 50/50 flat or matt and the semi-gloss or satin to lessen the "shine".

Thanks Ken, I'll try that...

Mario M.

_GOTOTOP