_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Done with Mig primer
Spaide
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 - 12:13 AM UTC
I'm not messing with Mig primer anymore. I've watched the YouTube videos, done everything the forums have discussed, and I still get [auto-censored]ty results. I have yet to get a decent finish, always grainy fisheyed and rough.
Yes I've washed the plastic, shook the paint till my arm is numb, lowered my pressure, applied light coats letting it dry between.
I'm tired of sanding back to a smooth surface. I'm going back to my Tamiya primer, it smells bad and is exorbitantly expensive but I always get fantastic results.
EHAM0624
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 - 12:23 AM UTC
Edward, i have done the same with the vallejo primer but started using a cheap spray can primer. Pitty as i do hate the smell but i could not get it right.

barrowb98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 - 12:27 AM UTC
Two words: Badger Stynylrez. I struggled with water based primers until I tried this stuff. Now I'm never looking back.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 - 01:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Two words: Badger Stynylrez. I struggled with water based primers until I tried this stuff. Now I'm never looking back.

Yep...same same ,Mig One Shot Primer or UMP primers are both the badger primer rebranded
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 - 01:50 AM UTC
Have you considered the distance you are spraying the model from?

I have discovered that keeping your airbrush close to the model gives the paint less time in the air, so the particles aren't partially dry before they hit the model.

It's easy for the hand to pull back from the model while airbrushing.

Just another option to think about.

Gaz
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 - 02:00 AM UTC
i love the smell of Tamiya paint.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i love the smell of Tamiya paint.

It's the smell. That lacquer smell. Smells like... victory.

In all seriousness, I have no problem with Vallejo primer. I think 2:1 Vallejo airbrush thinner:paint and add a couple of drops of Windex. Spray from four inches, away at 15psi. My favorite primer is Model Master grey(decanted from rattle can). I always get a perfectly smooth finish, with minimum loss of detail. However, I have not yet tried Tamiya primer. The cost goes deeper than my pockets.
ttwells
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 316 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 - 03:16 AM UTC
Well, I had similar XP with this stuff... thought it was just me until I started reading posts (after posts, after posts). I went back to Walmart primer until I found Krylon colormaster brands of primer/paint. Awesome Black primer out of the can... smell OK since I do it in the garage... I do like the regular paints from AMMO and Vallejo but forget about the primers...
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 - 03:42 AM UTC
I have had limited experience with it. However, my go-to to acrylic primer is One Shot by ammo. It is the same as Badger stynelrez. Blastbit onto your model and it sucks itself into a silky smooth finish. Am am also a huge fan of a 50-50 mix of Mr. Surfacer 1200 and Mr. Leveling thinner (although not for metals. For metal, Mr. Metal primer is the way to go.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 - 05:08 AM UTC
For priming I just stick with what's available at the DIY shop -- Ace Grey Primer. Works all time.
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
Armorama: 1,067 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 - 06:18 AM UTC
I'm with Jon about the Mr Surfacer/Mr Leveling thinner, It's the only one I use. Although I use the 1500 black, and I mix in a little grey until I get the shade that matches what I want for the rubber wheels, then when I paint, I mask the rubber (using Quickwheel masks if they are available) and when I'm done, I get to skip the step of having to paint the road wheels. Well worth the cost of the primer.
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 - 04:23 PM UTC
I've never used nor have I've never attempted to use Mig primers. I only use Vallejo primer. Mix it about 50/50 (Vallejo thinner) and put a drop or two of flow aide and have a beautiful finish time after time. Heck, I use a old Aztec air brush with a high flow nozzle and I've never had any problems whatsoever. Whatever the Problems that the OP is having with Mig primers I've not had with Vallejo, so what am I missing?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 - 07:27 PM UTC
Tamiya extra fine in the rattlecan,so what it smells,I use a respirator.
kefran
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 - 10:16 PM UTC
Krylon primer in big rattlecan, 2 colors available, 5.95 for a can ... ultra smooth finish, no need for clean-up before shooting ...
Venko555
Visit this Community
Bulgaria
KitMaker: 908 posts
Armorama: 698 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 - 10:34 PM UTC
I love Surfacer 1500 black/grey/white, thinned with Leveling thinner. Having Vallejo, AK acrylic primers etc., I use them for bases only now
SteelEagle
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 - 11:43 PM UTC
Ace Grey Primer - can't beat it.
Bought a quart can 15 years ago and it's still going strong.
I cut it with lacquer thinner and it lays smooth as glass. Has a great tooth for paint to hold on to. An the best part... it was only $8 for the quart. Also, I never, ever wash off anything before I prime it. Just clean it for dust and spray away!
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 02:48 AM UTC
I have read absolutely NOTHING bad about Badger Stynylrez (or Mig One Shot), ever. I have been planning to get one or the other, but just haven’t gotten around to it. I have lots of Vallejo primer in different colors, and while I haven’t really had any trouble with any of it, somehow the black just seems to go on better (smoother flow and perfect finish) than most of the other colors ( that and the NATO Green), but I really wanna try that Badger stuff. From all accounts, it sounds like you can almost dunk your parts and let it drip dry and still get a perfect finish 😊
barrowb98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 06:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have read absolutely NOTHING bad about Badger Stynylrez (or Mig One Shot), ever. I have been planning to get one or the other, but just haven’t gotten around to it. I have lots of Vallejo primer in different colors, and while I haven’t really had any trouble with any of it, somehow the black just seems to go on better (smoother flow and perfect finish) than most of the other colors ( that and the NATO Green), but I really wanna try that Badger stuff. From all accounts, it sounds like you can almost dunk your parts and let it drip dry and still get a perfect finish 😊

Yeah, it's just about impossible to screw up. Too close, too far away, doesn't matter. You don't have to start off light coats like other water-based primers, you can just blast it on in one coat. It goes on in big globs it looks atrocious going on. But you just let it dry and level off. If you do screw it up it strips right off with rubbing alcohol. My only (minor) gripe with it is it takes 24 hours drying to reach full scratch resistance. And it's not all that good on metal. Lacquer primers are definitely better on metal.
trucolorpaint
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 240 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 06:33 AM UTC
Try Tru-Color Paint Primer. We have 2 versions - TCP-007 is a dark gray primer, TCP-256 is a very light gray (almost dust) primer. Both will work very well on plastic or brass models after carefully washing the surface.

You can then paint over the primer with any of our colors, mask after drying to apply a 2nd or even a 3rd color within 3 hours of placing the primer.

We guarantee you will NOT get a rough finish if sprayed between 28-35 PSI using a medium or fine tip. Also note it is nearly impossible to get "runs" with Tru-Color Paint.

Any questions ? Both primers are available in 1 oz. (30ml) and 2 oz. (60 ml) as stock items. On special order, we can even make 16 oz. size bottles !

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint
P.O. Box 74524
Phoenix, AZ 85087-4524

714-488-9779
email: [email protected]
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 10:39 PM UTC
Here's another option; don't prime. I have never primed a model and never had to. I don't see the point in adding another layer of paint to cover up details.
RussianArmor
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 10:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here's another option; don't prime. I have never primed a model and never had to. I don't see the point in adding another layer of paint to cover up details.

I agree with that. Never had a need to prime a model, and haven't had any problems with the paint sticking or not drying smooth.
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 - 04:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes - as per your suggestion on my post about primer, got the 3 pack and will never try anything else. It's awesome - I've only my used the black so far.
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 316 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 09:13 PM UTC
is MIG out of business? in the latest Kathy Millat YouTube video, I think she mentions it is a thing of the past.
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 09:59 PM UTC
I have never primed my models either.
barrowb98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

is MIG out of business? in the latest Kathy Millat YouTube video, I think she mentions it is a thing of the past.

The original Mig Productions, yes. But they never made a primer so I assume OP is talking about Mig's current company, AMMO by Mig Jimenez.
 _GOTOTOP