_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
ICM: KHD A3000 Truck
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 01:09 PM UTC

As shown on their 2018 catalogue, ICM starts working on their KHD A3000 WWII German Truck.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 01:29 PM UTC
I REALLY like the aggressive stance of the 4x4 truck they use as their cover shot. That really gets my modeling juices flowing to build another WWII truck! However I think (I could be wrong) the computer generated CAD shots here are showing us a two wheel drive vehicle.

If so, I will wait for the 4x4.

Also it would be really nice if they would include a nicely sculpted cloth top for the load box. (Don't show it if ya ain't gonna sell it.)
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 02:28 PM UTC
I also think the images show the 2x4. The distance between the wheels and the wheel arches is an easy way to tell the difference.

S3000

A3000

A3000 after the war. Getting the beer to even the remotest customers ...

/ Robin
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 05:20 PM UTC
https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/newkitnews/icm.html

Here. ICM shows another interesting truck.
It seems to become a real competitor for the IBG QL series, based on the clear showing of all details that are missing at the IBG ones, such as direction indicators, gas indicator panel etc.
And hopefully, the airplane tanker version will turn up soon (not to speak about drivers that realy fit into these models and not only after considerable surgery)
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 05:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/newkitnews/icm.html

Here. ICM shows another interesting truck.
It seems to become a real competitor for the IBG QL series, based on the clear showing of all details that are missing at the IBG ones, such as direction indicators, gas indicator panel etc.
And hopefully, the airplane tanker version will turn up soon (not to speak about drivers that realy fit into these models and not only after considerable surgery)

Umm. Not quite the same truck as the Bedford QL-series.
The WOT 6 was produced by Fordson. Don't know how many parts they shared, if any at all ....

/ Robin

Edit: Checked a reference book
QL: Wheelbase: 143 inches
Size: 236 x 89 x 120 inches
Engine: 6-cyl overhead valve, liquid cooled petrol, 3519 cc 72 bhp
Gearbox 4 fwd 1 rev 2-speed transfer
10.50 x 20 tyres
Weight: 7225 pounds

WOT 6: Wheelbase 143.5 inches
Size: 239 x 90 x 126 inches (slightly bigger all around)
Engine: V-8, 3621 cc, 85 bhp
Gearbox: 4 fwd 1 rev 2-speed transfer
10.50 x 20 tyres
Weight 8735 pounds
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 07:33 PM UTC

Yes, they are both trucks is all I can say.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 08:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, they are both trucks is all I can say.

YES !!!
and I just LOOVE trucks
JFeder504
Visit this Community
Nord, France
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 02:26 AM UTC
That wrong roof and top of doors makes me sick ! It spoils the look of that truck... ICM does now a SdKfz251 A so those people are not fundamentally bad ...
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 03:07 AM UTC
Hi Robin, thanks for the learning moment!
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I REALLY like the aggressive stance of the 4x4 truck they use as their cover shot. That really gets my modeling juices flowing to build another WWII truck! However I think (I could be wrong) the computer generated CAD shots here are showing us a two wheel drive vehicle.

I'm not sure - looking at the CAD view of the bare chassis it has a central differential that I would only expect on a 4x4. (A 2x4 only needs a single drive shaft from gearbox to rear axle...). I think it may be a trick of the viewing angle that makes the wheels look closer to the arches than they really are. Still, time will tell!
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 12:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm not sure - looking at the CAD view of the bare chassis it has a central differential that I would only expect on a 4x4. (A 2x4 only needs a single drive shaft from gearbox to rear axle...). I think it may be a trick of the viewing angle that makes the wheels look closer to the arches than they really are. Still, time will tell!

It is difficult to be certain about those wheel arches. The box between the engine and the rear axle could be an indicator.
This image shows the underside of the S3000 (borrowed from that News item)

/ Robin
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 12:24 AM UTC
The underbody CAD image shown immediately above was not part of the original Kitmaker thread so I have not seen it till now. However it illustrates a two wheel drive vehicle. The "box" you see is actually the transmission.

Engineering wise there is nothing to stop a designer from mounting the transmission separate from the engine on any vehicle and connecting them with a short universal drive shaft. (German halftracks did it all the time.)

However the chassis CAD shot shown as part of the original company announcement DOES illustrate a four wheel drive vehicle. I was mistaken before in that you can clearly see the engine, the separately mounted transmission and finally the transfer case about midway back the length of the chassis.

I think that ICM may be accidentally (or intentionally) confusing us by showing us a mix of some CAD shots of 4x4 vehicles and some of two wheel drive.

The good news in all this - the manufacture appears to be planning to offer both a 4x2 and 4x4 truck just as MiniArt did with their 4x4 and 4x2 1500 Mercedes cargo truck.

I have both the MiniArt offerings in my stash but as I said earlier I think I will hold off and wait for the 4x4 in this case.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 02:01 AM UTC
The 2x4 KHD S3000 by ICM, kit 35451, has been on the market since late 2015 (let's call it early 2016), It has been in my stash since April 2016.

I showed the image of the underside of the 2x4 (taken from that News item published back in 2015) only to show that the presence of the detached box in this News item about the 4x4 is not necessarily a proof that the rest of the CAD images show the 4x4. Mixed up images has happened before and will happen again. The images may very well show a 4x4 and the low clearance of the wheel arches could be caused by something else (compressed perspective or whatever).

The comment about the squashed cabin roof and flattened tops of the doors is more serious.
The tops of the cabin doors of my 2x4 KHD S3000 are straight and the roof is flat and the cabins were the same on the S3000 and A3000 so I assume that ICM will be re-using the cabin sprue.
Compare the CAD-images with the images I posted earlier.

/ Robin

Edit to keep the record straighter:
Eric George mentioned the shape of the cab roof and top of doors. I didn't notice at first either.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 03:34 AM UTC
I know you are not referring to me but to keep the record straight, I made no comment regarding the proportions of the cab.

Mike
165thspc

p.s. However, now that you mention it, the cab roof and window tops do seem much more arched in the photos of the real truck than the on the Cad images of the model.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 01:23 PM UTC
Sprue image borrwoed from the News item about the KHD S3000 (August 31st 2015, https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/20328).

CAD-image from the same News item (KHD S3000):

Compare the straight line above the glass in the door

Maybe some aftermarket resin caster could provide a new roof and doors ....

Maybe the hood/bonnet is too flattened as well?? Check the top of the radiator/grille

/ Robin
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 05:56 PM UTC
Please would you stop nitpicking over the small details. This is the reason why I am having problems in wanting to return to model building. There are too many people holding out their rulers and calipers trying to make sure of perfection and ruining it for guys like me.

If it looks like a truck, drives like a truck, maybe it is a frigging truck. No wonder why the North American and European markets are just afterthoughts for kit makers.

SHEESH!
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 06:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Please would you stop nitpicking over the small details. This is the reason why I am having problems in wanting to return to model building. There are too many people holding out their rulers and calipers trying to make sure of perfection and ruining it for guys like me.

If it looks like a truck, drives like a truck, maybe it is a frigging truck. No wonder why the North American and European markets are just afterthoughts for kit makers.

SHEESH!

GMC CCKW ? Looks like a truck (more or less), drives like a truck (OK, can be pushed by hand), maybe it is a friggin truck

Looks more like an M41 to me but I could be wrong

Minor details are minor details, those who want can fix them.
I, and some others, think that it is a pity that ICM didn't get major shapes right. Each to his own wants and needs I suppose but as a consumer/customer I want to make my decisions based on the best available information.
If I know before buying that the shapes are off I can decide if I want to buy or not and if I have an idea about how to fix it or not. I already have the S3000 with the same mistakes. I can wait for aftermarket, if AM doesn't show up I may start shaping plastic. Some elbow grease and determination, add some styrene and maybe putty and it can be fixed.
One of the advantages with the internet is that You as consumer can make informed decisions instead of getting disappointed when opening the box.

Nitpickers have "saved" me from buying expensive kits that were too much trouble to fix. Other nitpickers have allowed me to buy a kit fully aware of its faults and merits and whether these are of concern to me or not.

If close enough is good enough for you then I can recommend this kit. It certainly looks like a KHD A3000 and only the whining nitpickers can identify the "faults"

/ Robin
JFeder504
Visit this Community
Nord, France
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 - 12:22 AM UTC
RobinNilsson, I agree with you. I post a message with a few lines here, but it looks lost. GLAD TO KNOW that I AM NOT ALONE ! I waited 30 years for a decent KHD and now it's spoiled by pure NEGLECT !
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 - 01:04 AM UTC
I also agree. I waited years for a new CCKW and then HobbyBoss messes the cab up from the get-go and to make things worse they come out with 5-6 additional variants all using the bad cab.

Bad Cab, bad cab, down boy, down boy!

I don't consider myself a rivet counter but I consider these faults in a major component (the vehicle cab) to have crossed a line. At least with the CCKW I can substitute the old Italeri cab and be just as happy
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 - 01:15 AM UTC
I suspect in this case the flattening of the cab/doors/hood/radiator was done to reduce the cost of mold tooling and to increase efficiency. In other words to save money. (If you translate the CORRECT curves of the cab from the digital file to the metal mold you end up with a lot of digital stair steps that have to be polished out of the mold. If you flatten these curves - no polishing needed. Also without these curves and stair steps the part comes out of the mold more easily.)

In my opinion this was a bad choice on their part.
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 - 03:39 AM UTC
Well, then don't buy it and leave them for guys like me. Why ruin fun on a day off from work for someone like me who just wants to kick back and throw something together with their hands.

I have an old original Italeri PzIV F1, F2 & G kit from the 70's I plan on building. I know that their were changes in the chassis and other details between the different types, but that doesn't preclude me from from building it anyway. My plans are to make a 'what-if' with Afrika Korps soldiers sitting on it bearing StG-44's, Panzerfausts and MG-42's.

I have a Dragon Opel Blitz that I want to build too. I know that there are mistakes there too, but I will not complain about those. I will build that too and have fun with it.

I am also going to build Dragon's SdKfz 251/1D, and don't get me started on the mistakes there with the lack of proper steering controls in the bow underneath the vehicle and the driver's area. I have AFV Club parts and will 'jury rig' the corrections myself.

Now, with that said, I will look forward to the ICM KHD with much relish and enjoy myself.
 _GOTOTOP