_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Vietnam
For Vietnam diorama subjects or techniques.
Hosted by Darren Baker
"Young Entrepreneurs" Vietnam 1968
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 03:48 AM UTC
Here is my latest vignette that I built in about two weeks. "Young Entrepreneurs" depicts two Vietnamese children selling sunglasses and watches to GIs along HWY 15 between Long Binh and Long Thanh. The GI is checking out how he looks in a pair of sunglasses.

The figures were already built for a previous project but were not used, so all I had to do was paint them. The wedgie of the M113 had to be built which I derived from the Italeri M113 ACAV kit. I chose to use that one since I liked the way the lights attached to the model, but also because I was cutting it apart and doing so with this kit wasn't going to do any harm. I was able to transform this to a gas-powered M113 and made my own headlight guards from wire and I drilled holes where the track shrouds or whatever those things are called would mount on but were taken off by the crew. I painted the vehicle with a primer coat of Krylon flat black and then brush painted a base coat of Vallejo US Olive Drab covered by two coats of Reaper Black Green. The US Army, Registration Number, and bumper codes are dry transfers and I painted the Panther on the trim vane fr eehand. The vehicle represents one of the worn out gas-powered M113s belonging to 2d Battalion, 47th Infantry (Mechanized), 9th Infantry Division based out of Bearcat (the town of Long Thanh was located nearby). The sunglasses and watches are from Aber and the cartons of cigarettes are from Duplicata. I chose to make a wedgie of the M113 as to not detract from the figures. When I was putting the wedgie on the base, all was well until I must have tapped it somehow while the glue was drying. The place where the tracks meet the roadwheels and the ground popped off and I never could get it to set back in place properly, so the wedgie is a bit off from what was originally intended. I also fashioned a support for it from balsa wood so it would not break away during transport.

Like my other pieces that feature 2/47th Inf (Mech) in Vietnam, it will be displayed at the 47th Infantry Regiment's reunion in April.

Here are some photos of it:

Thanks for looking,
James
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 05:22 AM UTC
Really diggin’ this! ... You da man! 💪🏾

—mike
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 05:40 AM UTC
Fantastic job James!

Great idea and terrific execution.

The reflection of the GI's face in the mirror is a very cool detail. Was it hand paint or an actual image?

Which figure did you use for the GI? I like the casual generic look.

ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 09:29 AM UTC
Thanks, Mike and Jason.

The G.I. is a conversion of a Bravo 6 figure from the set of a Soldier and a boom boom girl. I used different arms and head. The reflection in the mirror is painted with a coat of gloss varnish to make it shiny.

Cheers,
James
deathdork
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 10:35 AM UTC

brilliant piece of work!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 08:10 PM UTC
Really nice concept and a nice insight into what was happening while "in country" to a lot of guys. Very well done and innovative,as usual !
J
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 - 02:10 PM UTC
Nicely done. The use of the wedgie works really well.
SF-07-18D
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 366 posts
Armorama: 300 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2018 - 01:58 PM UTC
Wow, I like it very much!!

The GI´s weathering is amazing, very well done!!
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 372 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 12:56 AM UTC
Great work!

The mirror reflection is such a clever idea. This is what makes vignettes and dioramas so cool...lots of tiny clever details and a scene that tells its own story. Brilliant!
 _GOTOTOP