_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Removing varnished Vallejo paint
Cocat2517
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 10:13 PM UTC
Hi
I have a Tiger II 1/35 project in the go. I’ve got as far as the base coat & camo paint job and applied a coat of Vallejo satin varnish ready for weathering. However I think my camo pattern has come out too dark, I’d like to do it again. What’s the safest option for removing the paint without damaging the model?

Thanks!
rdt1953
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 11:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi
I have a Tiger II 1/35 project in the go. I’ve got as far as the base coat & camo paint job and applied a coat of Vallejo satin varnish ready for weathering. However I think my camo pattern has come out too dark, I’d like to do it again. What’s the safest option for removing the paint without damaging the model?

Thanks!

I don't know if it has a different name in the UK but here stateside it is called denatured alcohol . A Q Tip swab ( cotton bud) or cloth soaked in it will remove the paint . I have had to do this myself with Vallejo paint .
Richard
Cocat2517
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 03:20 AM UTC
I think in the U.K. it’s what we call methylated spirits. I’ve got some in the garage, I’ll test it on my practice model first.

This is the model in question.. I think the green has come out too dark...

Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think in the U.K. it’s what we call methylated spirits. I’ve got some in the garage, I’ll test it on my practice model first.

No is not methylated spirits is called Isopropyl Alcohol
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 04:57 AM UTC
If your camo seems to dark, remember that weathering will change the tone of the paint. by the time you get done it could be much lighter than it appears now.
trooper82
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 05:01 AM UTC
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubbing_alcohol
The article should clear things up guys
HTH Paul
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 05:32 AM UTC
You could overshoot the dark color. Mix the proper shade and just overshoot the pattern.
rdt1953
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 05:37 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Not isopropyl alcohol - that is rubbing alcohol used as an antiseptic among other things. Denatured Alcohol is also known as stove alcohol because it is used as a fuel for Marine stoves - it is so used because it does not float on top of water and so can be extinguished with water if need be - perhaps this may help in identifying it in the UK
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 06:28 AM UTC
Isopropyl alcohol or IPA will strip most acrylic paints. I'm using it to strip a die-cast dropship for repainting. It had been painted with acrylics and over the years they had discolored so I'm cleaning it with 91% IPA, a brush, makeup applicators and q-tips. Once I got thru the matte topcoat it's taking the color off just fine and I've had it about 12 years.

I've had denatured alcohol damage and dissolve some plastics. The best thing you can do is test it on some some unused parts from the kits or sprues. You can also paint those unused parts with the paints you used, let them dry for a bit than use them as trials. Also some I've found some ammonia containing cleaners will clean off paints.
flippen_waffles
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 06:39 AM UTC
I can vouch for 91% isopropyl alcohol working for removing Vallejo paints. Easiest way to soak the model for a few hours/days (depending on what your schedule allows) and give it a good srcubbin' with a soft toothbrush or paintbrush.
Cocat2517
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 02:20 AM UTC
Thanks for all the help. I’ll try another thin coat of lighter green and if that doesn’t work I’ll give the iso alcohol a go.

Thanks again,
 _GOTOTOP