_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Acrylic MM Glosscote
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2018 - 07:52 PM UTC
2 things, its going on a little flat like (if that makes sense )

and gets gooped up and hard to clean out of he Iwata --- any tips
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2018 - 10:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

2 things, its going on a little flat like (if that makes sense )

and gets gooped up and hard to clean out of he Iwata --- any tips

Yep—-go buy yourself a new bottle of paint!
VR, Russ
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2018 - 04:21 AM UTC
Really? It can go bad? I ordered it from Tower so I thought it would be ok
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2018 - 05:12 AM UTC
Well-- I was trying to be a little humorous, but the fact is, all paints can go bad over time. You really didn't give enough info in your first post, to make a comment either way. If the paints are fairly new, or unused, I'd say it was something you were doing. But if it's a used bottle that's been around for a while, that also could be a problem. Flat coats tend to settle regardless if they are Acrylic or if they are Enamels or lacquers. The longer they are around, the more they will settle. If they've been opened or thinned, this increases the amount of "settling". I don't use Acrylic clear-coats much, but when I do, I make sure they are thouroughly mixed, and properly thinned (in a separate container) with Testor's universal Acrylic thinner, or with the thinner recommended by the manufacturer (X-20 for Tamiya). Right off hand, it sounds like the clear coat you are using is old, and is drying before it reaches the model (no "wet" look). That also accounts for the gummy mess in your AB. Something is definitely off in the mix. That's why I said "go buy another bottle"-- it's sometimes easier than fussing around with the old paint, trying to make it work, especially if you've changed the formulation by mixing in the bottle. Good luck,
VR, Russ
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2018 - 08:14 PM UTC
Just to clarify your question: Are you referring to the Model Master acrylic gloss, or the Mission Models gloss?
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 12:37 PM UTC
Thanks for the advice guys - it's the Model Master stuff.

I have been using it unthinned, and did get a nice wet look on another model a week ago, but I was keeping the airbrush close to the model. Could it be I'm not getting close enough? I tend to keep a little distance when airbrushing and keep it moving.

I'm shaking the bottle really well then using a disposable eyedropper to put in feeder cup.

Maybe need to mix more or spray closer? I have Vallejo gloss here that I could try as well.

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 08:25 PM UTC
As a rule of thumb, and for acrylics especially, the farther you are away from the surface to be painted, the higher the possibility of "orange peel". This is when the paint dries in the air before hitting the surface, causing a rough, grainy and somewhat flat look. But that doesn't explain the gummy consistency in your paint cup. You might try thinning the paint, with the manufacturers recommended thinner, and spraying at a lower air pressure. The higher your air pressure, and the thicker your paint, combined with being farther away from the model is usually the culprit in "orange peel".
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP