_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Paint color matching
mogdude
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 12:54 AM UTC
I have been looking at the color plates the model mfgs include with their kits and I started wondering how accurate they are or even if they are supposed to be the correct match for the suggested colors, schemes ? I have painted dabs of the listed colors and they do not seem to match the mfgs supplied color photos Anyone have any thoughts on this subject ?
Thanks
U-mark
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 02:19 AM UTC
I think it has to do with the printing process when making the box and color instructions. Some are high quality print jobs with pretty accurate color representations. Some, not so much. I pulled a Meng kit off the the shelf after reading your comment and compared the color call outs on the box to the color scheme insert in the box and, while the colors are close, the aren't an exact match. I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but I think that has something to do with it.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 03:41 AM UTC
The only way to match perfectly the colors it's with proper paint chips,with printing you just cant match 100% with out spend a ridiculous amount of $$ on very high quality print and paper,also the Manufacturer color charts are not accurate,sometime is the manufacturer himself who writes it in the classic hidden corner "For reference Only" or stuff like that.
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 05:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been looking at the color plates the model mfgs include with their kits and I started wondering how accurate they are or even if they are supposed to be the correct match for the suggested colors, schemes ? I have painted dabs of the listed colors and they do not seem to match the mfgs supplied color photos Anyone have any thoughts on this subject ?
Thanks

G'day John

Strongly recommend not using those colour plates whenever possible. I have a copy of "True Colours of WW2" which I believe is the best reference source for colours ever printed.

It includes a colour swatch, and each swatch has been checked for accuracy before being included with the book.

Regards

Rob
mogdude
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 08:03 AM UTC
Thanks for your comments Glad to see I am not the only one to see this , thought it was just me not seeing the colors correctly
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 11:02 AM UTC
I almost always ignore them completely as the evidence does not support a contention that they know the subject a lot of the time. That are no substitute for s decent reference library and understanding the basics of the contemporary practices, at least in my opinion anyway.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2018 - 08:35 AM UTC
There are also things that affect the color. Scale effect, weathering, and sun fade, and light/shadow contrast all play a roll in the final look/shade of the color.
 _GOTOTOP