_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Model Military International: The end of Military Modelling Magazine
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 11:22 PM UTC

It seems that the UK magazine Military Modelling has folded after 48 years. From next month it will be part of Model Military International.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 19:59:18 (GMT).
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2018 - 05:47 AM UTC
Very sad to hear it's going. I had lost interest in Military Modelling after they tried to "modernize" the mag a couple of years ago. Gone were the phenomenal research articles (that often equlled an Osprey book for information and photos). Intead, Mil Mod was going to be flashy, breezy, and light in content. Big type, small words, bright graphics. In other words, like every other magazine.
Tallmick
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2018 - 11:15 AM UTC
Well I hope they will improve their paper quality that has been like news print quality in the past few years.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2018 - 10:19 PM UTC
I remember back in the'90s when Challenge Publications incorporated the US version of Military Modeler into Scale Modeler. That lasted a few issues and then Military Modeler vanished completely, never to be seen again. MMiR took the lead for a while but I don't even know if they are in business anymore. I have been a subscriber of Fine Scale Modeler for many years. It's not purely military but it has excellent how-to articles and is very interesting. It is always sad to see an old friend go.....
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2018 - 11:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very sad to hear it's going. I had lost interest in Military Modelling after they tried to "modernize" the mag a couple of years ago. Gone were the phenomenal research articles (that often equlled an Osprey book for information and photos). Intead, Mil Mod was going to be flashy, breezy, and light in content. Big type, small words, bright graphics. In other words, like every other magazine.

Gerald, while I must admit that I didn't follow the evolution of the magazine over its whole life, being much more familiar with it in the 70s and 80s, and then again in the last few years, I'm not so sure that losing those highly researched articles was necessarily an editorial decision. I wonder if some of those who used to supply that type of content simply retired (or died) and no one came along to replace them. I think some of those authors were of a different type, perhaps, for want of a better term, more scholarly, than those who supplied more of the recent content, which tended to be modellers talking about building models, and often, in my view, in not a particularly adventurous way.

In fact Martyn Crowther had made an effort to bring back some of that more in depth reseach type of material relatively recently, and also had reverted to including more diverse subject matter generally instead of just concentrating on military vehicles etc.

But of course, nothing would probably save it, things just move on.

It does bring back recollections of things such as sending 15pence worth of stamps to Skytrex in order to receive a catalogue with no illustrations, reproduced on a Gestetner machine, from which one would then order by writing a letter containing a postal order, the whole process taking literally weeks in order to receive your items.
Removed by original poster on 05/02/18 - 14:13:42 (GMT).
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 05:58 PM UTC
Caught red handed not reading the item properly.

Quoted Text

This is Military Modeling and not MMI - two separate magazines

Not any more they're not.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 04:04 PM UTC
Have a few issues , from way back, was a good mag until they started doing aircraft, and lost the way, same for Panzer Aces, now cost more and name has changed, and a lot of adds.I guess with the modern world,not many mags are needed, as to Youtube.
And the kids today not into modeling, all video games now,shame.

Cheers

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP