_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
News
ETA Diorama: MRE boxes & more
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2018 - 10:29 PM UTC

Yannis V. Papadopoulos kindly informed us about April 2018 releases of ETA Diorama Accessories.rnrnAs always, all items are prints of high resolution photos to high quality paper.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2018 - 11:35 PM UTC
The MREs would be much better if printed on brown paper as opposed to white. I print my own on brown paper grocery bags and they come out looking great and you have no white paper edges to worry about. Also, the thicker brown paper holds the shape better and looks more accurate as far as thickness goes.

The light/dark colored MRE boxes look weird to me. The solid brown ones look better, but I have never seen any that look like the other ones.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 01:56 AM UTC
The cases I got from the Red Cross and National Guard during Super Storm Sandy relief looked like the light colored ones. That case included halal and vegetarian meals.

But like a lot of models these days they are over-shaded. They look like they belong in a heavily shadowed film noir movie.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 02:58 AM UTC
It would be nice to get some of the Humanitarian Daily Ration cases, Extra Details made a set but they're long time gone I managed to score a set last year on Evilbay but it would be a nice addition to a dio. I wouldn't mind seeing what they look like up close though.
Foxtrot1
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 234 posts
Armorama: 200 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 03:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The light/dark colored MRE boxes look weird to me. The solid brown ones look better, but I have never seen any that look like the other ones.

The light/dark coloured boxes are supposed to replicate a box that has been exposed to the elements. When cardboard boxes get wet and then dry out in the sun, the look exactly like that.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 06:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The light/dark coloured boxes are supposed to replicate a box that has been exposed to the elements. When cardboard boxes get wet and then dry out in the sun, the look exactly like that.

In 23 years of active duty service, I have never seen a weathered MRE box that looked like those do. The issue I am having is the weird shading. It is not a natural way the box would weather.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 08:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

In 23 years of active duty service, I have never seen a weathered MRE box that looked like those do. The issue I am having is the weird shading. It is not a natural way the box would weather.

I agree with Gino. MREs are controlled items in that they are stored, inventoried and inspected as perishable items, and not allowed to "weather". They are also "consumables" in they are issued and consumed rapidly, so the boxes don't really have time to "weather" (or at least shouldn't have time). However, the thought occurred to me those boxes might represent boxes that have been "re-purposed" for something else-- like storing crew gear or for collecting "trash". They might weather out that way over time, but not for newly issued MREs.
VR, Russ
Foxtrot1
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 234 posts
Armorama: 200 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 12:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

However, the thought occurred to me those boxes might represent boxes that have been "re-purposed" for something else-- like storing crew gear or for collecting "trash". They might weather out that way over time, but not for newly issued MREs.

Exactly, an empty box left out in the rain and sun for a period of time.

Either way, not sure what the value is of that specific item. Because if you're going to use that box as an accessory on a vehicle, you would use the 'new box'. If you wanted to use it as an item of trash, the vehicle that discarded it would be long gone. Lastly, disciplined units police their trash (unless you want to depict a FOB inhabited by the Georgia National Guard in Iraq, 2005).
HansBouwmeester
Visit this Community
Namibia
KitMaker: 346 posts
Armorama: 343 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 05:41 PM UTC
Great items by ETA. I'm using a lot of his items in a new diorama ( "The Collector" )
It takes some practice to getvthem right but the results are great. Apart from that Yannis is a great guy!!
 _GOTOTOP