_GOTOBOTTOM
WarWheels Forum
This forum can be used for all topics and discussions on WarWheels!
Dutch YP-408 Photos
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2018 - 02:51 AM UTC
We're back to Christophe Jacquemont's trip to Samur today. We've put up his Dutch YP-408 APC photos, as well as some others we had in "deep storage". To see Christophe's photos, use this link: http://www.warwheels.net/DAFyp408jacquemont.html . And to see the others, use this one: http://www.warwheels.net/DAFyp408Haugh.html .
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2018 - 04:05 AM UTC
Cool looking vehicle! Someone needs to kit that.
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2018 - 07:47 PM UTC
I agree. It's certainly interesting and unique enough to stand out on the shelf or display table.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2018 - 09:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cool looking vehicle! Someone needs to kit that.

Someone does! MR Models do a 1:35 version in resin and white metal. I picked one up the Plastic & Steel model show at Affligem, Belgium last year.

I haven't tackled it yet - the resin main castings will need a bit of re-shaping I think. There's some sizeable pour blocks but with a bit of wrestling and a re-read of the instructions I may get there in the end; has anyone else built this? Any advice?

Mind you, it would be nice if an injected plastic manufacturer would pick this one up (and an AMX 10P, M59 perhaps?) just to perhaps complete an APC collection.

Brian
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 12:10 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Brian. I did not know MR does a resin kit.

Would like to see a plastic version too, but doubt that will happen. Of course, who Would have thought that anyone would kit an Panhard EBR either... And we have both versions to choose from!
TheoBraat
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 01:41 AM UTC
Indeed an unusual vehicle, but in my opinion one of the ugliest vehicles ever designed by my country, I must confess - although that is of course just my opinion.

I very much doubt that we will soon see a plastic kit of this APC; it was produced and used by a rather small country, almost solely used by The Netherlands (although we donated a few to Surinam in Southern America, plus the Portuguese Polícia Aérea had a few). On the plus side, it came in a series of variants, which could make it a but interesting.
So let's keep our fingers crossed on this one; you guys for hoping that we will see a kit of it me for not seeing this ugly creation in plastic, ever!
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 03:19 AM UTC
I actually find it a very attractive and interesting vehicle; I first espied one when I was on exercise with the British Army at Bergen-Hohne. A row of them were parked up in the middle distance but such were the constraints of the exercise that I, as a very young soldier back then, could not investigate further. My enthusiasm for all things foreign - this was back when serving in Germany was quite exotic - or at least to me (!) was not remotely shared by my peer group or my Seniors who indicated their disinterest in the normal, profound British military fashion.

But this vehicle must have served in 1st Netherlands Corps for around 20 years I should think; when I later served at Army Group HQ, I promised myself that one day when I'd left the Army I would try and amass a collection of NATO vehicles and their Warsaw Pact opposite numbers. Well, I'm still trying but I'm getting there, but that means that this vehicle is quite important.

If anyone has tackled the MR Modellbau model I really would appreciate any tips - it looks like it's going to be a fun ride.

In the meantime, I'll get back to the T64s I'm working on - and "Yes" - they are the venerable Skif ones (!)

Thanks in advance for any info re the 1:35 model, and to Patrick for instigating this thread.

Brian
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 10:28 AM UTC
http://www.dafyp408.nl/modelbouw/modelbouw_main.htm

Here you may find some models of various versions.
A 1/35 scale model has been announced by a Dutch modeling company. However, I was not yet able to find their details.
Having been on these AFV’s in my young officers days as an arti forward observer with some infantery battalions I can remember them as comfortable ( if there are ‘comfortable’ AFVs anyway), but most of all vey fast and silent.
There were build in various roles:
AT
tractors for 120 mm mortars
Transport for wounded
Infantery APV’s
Command versions
Later on, about the beginning of the 80-ies they were replaced by the YPR.
Certainly an interesting one to build.

Cheers,

Paul
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 12:55 PM UTC
Paul,

A fantastically useful link; thank you so much - that will prove very helpful when I get around to the build.

Mind you, given my build rate it will be released in plastic long before I complete it!

An overlooked vehicle but then if people are unaware of it, no wonder - but to me, very evocative of the Cold War.

Thanks again.

Brian
weesiep
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 04:49 PM UTC
Hi Boots, I totally agree, a to me beautiful and interesting vehicle. Nice to read your story about first seeing it (you'll have had to hide your interest or be the laughing (or at least be looked at funny) stock I'd imagine). The YP408 did also serve in Lebanon (with the UNIFIL mission), In Dutch we call Lebanon Libanon.

Here a nice link: http://www.dafyp408.nl/unifil.htm

I made a start with my Mr. Models kit, but it is a typical lets say 90s 2000s kind of kit, not bad, but also absolutely not fantastic like some of the newer resin. The hull front has some mould slippage/damage and will require a lot of sanding filling (lower side extension pieces) on mine. I actually was allowed to sift through several boxes and search for one with perfect parts (but did not buy it in the end as my money was gone. spent too much that day) on a trade show some years back. A sharp kit hides in there but it will take some work (and the rear doors are inaccurate).
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 06:37 PM UTC
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Very useful information.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 07:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Boots, I totally agree, a to me beautiful and interesting vehicle. Nice to read your story about first seeing it (you'll have had to hide your interest or be the laughing (or at least be looked at funny) stock I'd imagine). The YP408 did also serve in Lebanon (with the UNIFIL mission), In Dutch we call Lebanon Libanon.

Here a nice link: http://www.dafyp408.nl/unifil.htm

I made a start with my Mr. Models kit, but it is a typical lets say 90s 2000s kind of kit, not bad, but also absolutely not fantastic like some of the newer resin. The hull front has some mould slippage/damage and will require a lot of sanding filling (lower side extension pieces) on mine. I actually was allowed to sift through several boxes and search for one with perfect parts (but did not buy it in the end as my money was gone. spent too much that day) on a trade show some years back. A sharp kit hides in there but it will take some work (and the rear doors are inaccurate).

Wouter,

Having dragged mine down from the stash in the attic I see what you mean; the fit will need a fair bit of attention, bit it's the placement of all the axles/rods/suspension components that deter me, however, if I take it methodically I might eventually manage it.

Luckily, looking at several photos of the real thing I will kit mine out with camouflage nets - that should conceal any really glaring errors (or even my bad modelling). But this won't be anytime soon - apart from my Soviet tank duo, I am keen to construct a Belgian M75 before Plastic & Steel in October this year. No pressure then!

Thanks too for the link.

Who knows? We might get this in plastic; we got the British FV 432 and in a way a similar vehicle, just one user nation and a Cold War APC.
Leonverdonschot
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - 06:29 PM UTC
There is one available in 1:35 now.
http://www.deveteraanmodelbouw.nl/epages/83215282.mobile/nl_NL/?ObjectPath=/Shops/83215282/Products/"MR 35081"&ViewAction=ViewProduct
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - 09:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There is one available in 1:35 now.
http://www.deveteraanmodelbouw.nl/epages/83215282.mobile/nl_NL/?ObjectPath=/Shops/83215282/Products/"MR 35081"&ViewAction=ViewProduct

This actually seems to be in 1:87 - which is too small for me - but still a nice looking model!
Leonverdonschot
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 - 09:14 AM UTC
It was sold out in one day. I believe it was around 95 euro
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 10:28 PM UTC
http://www.bravocie.nl/collectie/yp408inst.htm

An “open top” version of the YP408!
Only two were built: one voor the instruction company which trained mechanics, the other one for the driver training school.
Both trucks (or ist it an APV?) still exist.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 10:32 PM UTC
An for sale:

https://hum3d.com/3d-models/daf-yp-408/

_GOTOTOP