_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
French armor in Algeria colors
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
Armorama: 1,067 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 03:37 AM UTC
Hello, I'm working on the Takom AMX-13 Chaffee Turret, and was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for the color that I should use. (I really prefer Tamiya paints but am willing to use others if necessary.) I tried to find color photos of french tanks from that period, but haven"t had much luck.

Thanks - John
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 04:25 AM UTC
Color plate supplied with kit suggests OLIVE DRAB for Algeria 1961.

Cheers,
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 04:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Color plate supplied with kit suggests OLIVE DRAB for Algeria 1961.

Cheers,

Thanks Joe, I was just trying to confirm that, sometimes the colors in the instructions can be off. I also didn't know if the French tanks used a different shade than the US.
kandahar
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 04:40 AM UTC
A very useful reference for French Army camouflage is 'Peintures de Guerre - un siecle de camouflage de l'armee Francais' by Pascal Danjou and Thomas Seignon. It is dual language and an excellent resource.
Cookiescool2
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 05:19 AM UTC
Hey John,
Here's a link to a site where there are a few color photos of the vehicle in action, as well as some wrecks. http://www.chars-francais.net/2015/index.php/engins-blindes/chars?task=view&id=1255

The colors in the photo are slighted distorted and not completely what you should paint the vehicle. The French post war olive drab was similar to the colors the US used. It's a darker Olive Drab than the wartime color, and if you can find a color that matches early cold war/vietnam American armor olive drab then you should be set.

Hope this helped!
-Alan
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 11:04 AM UTC
I don't think any AMX 13 has been painted olive drab. Remember that the AMX 13 with a Chaffee turret was a late Algeria war (early 60s) hybrid so not just a post-war vehicle.
By the time the tank entered service with the French army, the standard color was "vert armée" which was a true green.
A good base for it is Tamiya XF-13.

Here is my try of it on an EBR in Algeria.

Olivier
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 05:23 PM UTC
Thanks for all the replies fellas! There were a couple of great color shots that I had not seen before on that site Alan. Thank you for that suggestion and picture Oliver, it is always very helpful to see the suggested color "in action".

I'm glad I posted this question, OD would have been close, but that subtle difference in color will show up easily when the finished model is on display next to my shermans and pershings.
 _GOTOTOP