_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
RAF Willy (Blue colour)
Mcal1971
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 01:56 PM UTC
Hello everybody!!!
I´m doing a RAF Willy and I need to know the FS of the colour (Blue FS ?????)
I have the Echelon Decals RCAF AND RAF WILLYS (D356225) but they do not bring nothing about the scheme. I need this information to can paint the vehicle... If someone knwos something please send me information about it...
Thanks!!!!

Marcelo
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 04:27 PM UTC
Assuming that you mean a Willys Jeep, it is almost certain to have been supplied in US OD. If it were repainted in RAF blue, it would be in a BS numbered colour rather than a FS one, as the UK does not use the US classification system. I think the FS595 system was a post-WW2 one anyway, as with painting RAF vehicles blue, so by then the use of Land Rovers is surely more likely (introduced late 1940s?).
andyevans
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 369 posts
Armorama: 249 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 07:12 PM UTC
Colour match for RAF vehicles is (Tamiya);

4 parts XF69 NATO Black.
3 parts XF18 Medium Blue.
1 part XF8 Blue.
Mcal1971
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 11:47 PM UTC
Thanks Andy!!!!
Mcal1971
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 11:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Assuming that you mean a Willys Jeep, it is almost certain to have been supplied in US OD. If it were repainted in RAF blue, it would be in a BS numbered colour rather than a FS one, as the UK does not use the US classification system. I think the FS595 system was a post-WW2 one anyway, as with painting RAF vehicles blue, so by then the use of Land Rovers is surely more likely (introduced late 1940s?).

Of course... Willys Jeep.
Thanks Robert!!!!
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 07:16 AM UTC
And as Mike noted elsewhere, they would have remained in OD during WW2.
mshackleton
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 559 posts
Armorama: 517 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 08:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And as Mike noted elsewhere, they would have remained in OD during WW2.

Please, please do not paint it blue-grey. This wasn't used by the RAF during the war despite what some owners (and decal or plastic kit manufacturers) might claim. The RAF followed the same camo instructions as the Army, and by the end of the war were simply leaving US-imported vehicles in olive drab as they were supplied - as Rob says.
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 08:31 AM UTC
If you are looking for reliable and well researched information on wartime RAF vehicles, your best source is Mike Starmer's excellent book, 'British Army Colours & Disruptive Camouflage in the United Kingdom, France & N.W. Europe 1936-45'. Yes, a rather long title, but it really covers virtually everything on this subject. More importantly for the original question, it includes a section on RAF vehicles. If you wish to purchase a copy of this book, you can contact Mike by e-mail: [email protected]

armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 09:49 AM UTC
The confusion about what color to paint a Willys MB is the time frame. World War 2 would be olive drab. Post war the RAF went back to RAF blue for their vehicle's. As jeeps were rebuilt and repainted I'm sure some got a coat of RAF blue.
Austin Champs and Land Rovers were introduced early 1950's and according to one item I read jeeps served right along side them for a few years.
What I'm trying to figure out is what time frame Echelon Decals represent. World War 2 or postwar.
andyevans
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 369 posts
Armorama: 249 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 07:16 PM UTC
This is what Mike Starmer says on the subject:

BS 33 RAF Blue Grey

"After too many weeks I have been able to formulate a close match to BS 33 RAF Blue Grey using Tamiya acrylics.
Mix: - 4 parts XF69 + 3 prts XF18 + 1 prt XF8. IMPORTANT; You MUST apply a Satin varnish over this to provide the depth of colour as the original was gloss paint.

This colour was specified for use on RAF vehicles in UK from October 1937 until 1941. (However there is some documentary evidence that in France during 1939-40 and the South of England in 1940 a disruptive paintwork of other colours was allowed on vehicles.) Since the change of colour related to new and completely refurbished vehicles only much equipment remained in the Blue Grey well into the war, e.g. early model David Brown tractors and some older fuel bowsers.
This colour was reinstated for use from April 1946 onwards for the bodies and wheels of RAF vehicles together with gloss black valances, mudguards and chassis."
Removed by original poster on 06/12/18 - 13:15:13 (GMT).
Mcal1971
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 01:16 AM UTC
I found this in the web...

_GOTOTOP