_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Transparator from Ammo by Mig
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 - 03:19 AM UTC
Hi dudes
I bought a bottle anybody try that stuff on anything yet, or even use it? LOL
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 - 10:45 AM UTC
I think it's the same thing as the Transparent Medium of the Mission Models that I tried on my Sherman "guinea pig", it's none other than the resin that carries the pigment in normal Ammo paint but without pigment,the more you add and the more the pigment is diluted,more carrier and less pigment so' that the coverage decreases significantly and gives you that effect of shade/glaze, the color does not actually become transparent like Tamiya transparent paints but more like a super thin color without the problems that a color very thin can give like spiders or become a wash and flow into the recesses instead cover the whole piece...it's like having a very thin paint without adding the thinner....acting in the same way even on the Matt agent increases the perception of "transparent"without really being it, I have tried with a color dust and with a preshading and for me that with the AB I'm not a master makes it easier to avoid the mistake of covering too much

in this video shows how it works with the brush...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neqd80fFgA8
Doodeck
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 - 06:50 PM UTC
What Vicious said + I used it to make a transparent yellow (with a bit of gloss) for front lamps. Worked well.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 02:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think it's the same thing as the Transparent Medium of the Mission Models that I tried on my Sherman "guinea pig", it's none other than the resin that carries the pigment in normal Ammo paint but without pigment,the more you add and the more the pigment is diluted,more carrier and less pigment so' that the coverage decreases significantly and gives you that effect of shade/glaze, the color does not actually become transparent like Tamiya transparent paints but more like a super thin color without the problems that a color very thin can give like spiders or become a wash and flow into the recesses instead cover the whole piece...it's like having a very thin paint without adding the thinner....acting in the same way even on the Matt agent increases the perception of "transparent"without really being it, I have tried with a color dust and with a preshading and for me that with the AB I'm not a master makes it easier to avoid the mistake of covering too much

in this video shows how it works with the brush...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neqd80fFgA8

Thanks Vicious,and Doodeck
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 - 06:49 PM UTC
So... just add a little color to some future for the same effect?
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 - 07:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So... just add a little color to some future for the same effect?

Probably yes...but the future changes the consistency and chemistry of the paint, the "transparetor" no,and depends on the type of application you want to do i think.

Another problem of the Future is that unfortunately now in most countries there is no more, it costs me much but much less to buy the transparent medium of MMP than buy the Future from Amazon or ebay and pay 20 bucks for shipping
 _GOTOTOP